Would You Name Your Child After Yourself

My sister and I were reliving our teenage years and watching Gilmore Girls- for those who haven’t seen it, it’s about a woman and her daughter, both of whom are named Lorelai (obviously named after herself)- my sister asked me, jokingly, if I had considered naming my daughter after myself.

My initial reaction was an emphatic no, but it got me thinking. Men name their sons after themselves all the time. Why shouldn’t women do the same? I’ve heard it’s fairly commonplace in the Latina community, and in fact my own grandmother was named after her mother (though she went by her middle name).

It’s probably not something I would do myself, but would you consider naming your daughter- or son!- after yourself?

I know several women/little girls named after their mother. No, I would never do it. I’m not a fan of when children are named after their parents. I do like family names, though!

PS- love [name_m]Gilmore[/name_m] Girls, too, by the way!

I wouldn’t do it as a FN but would consider it as a MN if I really enjoyed my name. I like honor names on the opposite gender too. For example, using [name_u]Ren[/name_u]é for a boy to honor my MN [name_u]Ren[/name_u]ée.

I wouldn’t name my daughter after myself, but I don’t make unfair judgements about those who do. Ahem.

I don’t see anything wrong with men or women naming their children after themselves, although I wouldn’t do it unless I had a family name. I’d be quite weirded out yelling my own name every time I called my kid down to dinner.

I wouldn’t, but only because I’m not really a fan of my name. I don’t hate it but I wouldn’t want to say it a lot, especially as I’m not a big fan of the nicknames for my name - I go by the only one I like - so she’d have to have the same nickname, or a nickname I’m not a fan of, or use her full name all the time. Nah.

I consider the fact that really, a lot of my personality goes into my name choices anyway, so any name I choose is already reflecting a lot about me without directly using the name I’m not too fond of!

I don’t think there’s anything particularly wrong with it though.
I watched [name_m]Gilmore[/name_m] Girls for the first time ever at the beginning of this year, I enjoyed it for the most part but I found that my favourite characters definitely weren’t [name_f]Lorelai[/name_f] or [name_u]Rory[/name_u]!

I’m not sure I’d do it personally, but I dont like it when men do either.

Having seen [name_m]Gilmore[/name_m] Girls though, there’s something really great about impetuous teenage [name_f]Lorelai[/name_f] being like “Nope, men do it all the time, I’m naming her after me”. I guess if you really liked your name ([name_f]Lorelai[/name_f] is a pretty great name), I can see why some women would consider it with that kind of attitude.

No I’d never do it. There are a thousand people I think are more worthy of being honored than me.

As a middle name only.

No I wouldn’t, it would be super weird to me. Perhaps if she (or he) was conceived under less than ideal circumstances, or after a kind of personal triumph such as a very difficult pregnancy, it might be an interesting way to honor yourself for getting through it. It really depends I think.

I wouldn’t personally do it regardless, because both of my parents were named after their parents (kind of a bizarre coincidence), and I would want to do something different. I’m also very glad I have a different name than my mother because that way I have my own separate identity. I think it’s cool to pass it on as a middle name though. Part of the reason I like [name_f]Willow[/name_f] as a middle name is because my middle name also starts with W, so we would share that relatively unusual middle initial. It would be a connection only I and a few others would know about, but it would feel special to me, while still giving her her own unique name.

Not as a first name. I don’t really like my name and would hate having to say it constantly. Maybe as a middle, but only if it’s after a really tough pregnancy or something and I want to honour myself with that. My middle names are my mom’s name and my grandma’s name, and I haven’t always liked that not-so-subtle connection.

I wouldn’t, no more than I’d name a son after his father. Like someone else said, it’d be so weird calling your own name to dinner or telling them off for being rude!

I’d use one of my own names as a middle name, or one of DH’s, but only if I really loved it.

There was an interesting blog post a year ago on this very subject:

For those that want to continue given names in a family they have that choice. It has been more a male practice and I would not make it a feminist issue. Many male practices and ideas weren’t right so why would women want to follow them? Instinctively most female posters say No its not for me, children are better off with individuality. I agree.

Nope. I always think it comes off as a bit self-centred. I don’t like the notions of [name_m]Jr[/name_m].s at all. Children should get their own identity, not be a “look at my offspring” statement. I understand honour names, or using parents names as middles. But not for first names. My name is mine, and they should have their own too.

No, I wouldn’t, mainly because I dont much like my name, and I think it would be confusing. Perhaps if I had a wife and we liked her name I might consider naming a daughter after her, but only if we called her by a nickname, like [name_f]Lorelai[/name_f] and [name_u]Rory[/name_u].

For what its worth, I knew a woman who named her daughter after herself, and my grandfather was named after his dad, and those are the only people I know who are named after their a parent.

I have met a few

I don’t see anything inherently wrong with it and wouldn’t negatively look down on anyone who would chose such a thing, but I don’t think I would ever do it. I like my first and middle names well enough, but not enough to pass them down…I guess maybe my middle…but honestly, my names didn’t even hold too much significant meaning to my parents. If I had been named after a grandmother or something, then I would see purpose in passing either of my names down, but I’m not and likely will not. Same goes for my husband. His mom chose his name from a soap opera that happened to be playing in her recovery room. His name is significant to me, because it is his, but even then…

The closest I would consider would be using a name that has either of my initials, or maybe one that sounds somewhat similar (for example, I really like the name [name_f]Alena[/name_f], which sounds a bit similar to [name_f]Alyssa[/name_f]), but it wouldn’t even be “after” me.

Speaking towards [name_m]Gilmore[/name_m] Girls, it was never really an issue for them because [name_f]Lorelai[/name_f] [name_m]Jr[/name_m]. went by [name_u]Rory[/name_u]. In real life, it can get a bit more messy. My dad and my uncle both have sons named after themselves. They get confused all the time and it is never quite clear who anyone is talking to, right off the bat. To some, that isn’t a big deal. It’s always been a bit of a turn off to me, but it is what it is.

[name_f]Edit[/name_f]: I completely forgot…my mom is named after her mom, both first and middle name. She has told me numerous times that she hates it, specifically saying, “Why? It isn’t as if there weren’t millions of other girl names when I was born!” It became even more problematic when my grandparents divorced and my grandpa remarried. Neither grandpa or my mom’s stepmother wanted to call his ex’s name across the house every morning, so my mom had to be given a nickname. Real nice, huh?

No- mostly because I couldn’t have enough children to use all the names I do love so I wouldn’t want to give up the chance to use one of by taking up one of the spots with my name. My name was one my parents got to choose and I with my children, it is my opportunity.

Being a name lover from a young age who’s collected names, baby name books, and who’s been on this website for the past 8 years, I don’t see how in the world my child could end up with my name. There’s nothing wrong with my name but I can think of 1,000 and more names I like more and have loved over the years that I have pondered incessantly.

I’m [name_f]Kathryn[/name_f], which I hate and would never give to a child, but I would consider [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]. There are so many other names which I love more and I would prefer to use them but if my partner also really loved [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] then I would.

With some names (like [name_f]Katherine[/name_f], [name_f]Jane[/name_f], [name_f]Anne[/name_f], [name_f]Emily[/name_f] etc.) I don’t necessarily see it as ‘naming them after the parent’, if I were to use this name for a daughter it would be her joining a whole history of [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]/[name_f]Catherine[/name_f]/[name_f]Kathryn[/name_f]'s, yes we share the same name but its not just naming her after me.

Hmm… I don’t think I would name my daughter after myself purely because I wanted an [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] II. However, I would consider it if I loved my name enough to use it like I would any other favourites. That’s doubtful, though.