Would you use Louisa in this situation?

I absolutely adore the name [name_f]Louisa[/name_f]! It’s old fashioned, gentle, and sweet. Plus I love the nicknames, especially [name_u]Lou[/name_u] and [name_f]Lulu[/name_f]. Since [name_u]Louise[/name_u] is my middle name, my grandmothers middle name, and the name of my great grandmother, it’s also a great semi-honor name.

The only problem? [name_f]My[/name_f] sister used [name_u]Louise[/name_u] as her daughter’s middle name and uses it in day to day life. She regularly calls her daughter FN [name_u]Lou[/name_u] and occasionally FN [name_u]Louise[/name_u]. I’m not sure if that will become less of a thing as my niece gets older. Is this a deal breaker? We’re close and the two girls would likely interact a lot.

1 Like

I would still use it.

Interesting read in regards to a somewhat similar situation (not quite the same, but it reminded me of this)

7 Likes

I see no problem with using it. Especially since your mn is [name_u]Louise[/name_u] I don’t think you should feel like you can’t use [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] for a daughter just because your sister used [name_u]Louise[/name_u] for her daughter’s middle. You could always ask your sister how she feels about it but I don’t see how anyone could say you were “stealing” the name.

2 Likes

Just read the article you linked! What a wild story

2 Likes

I think that using [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] should be fine! I would let your sister know that you plan on using it, and all I can say is as long as it won’t bother you if your sister continue to call her daughter FN [name_u]Lou[/name_u]/FN [name_u]Louise[/name_u] then it should be fine!

2 Likes

I’d still use it, although I’d drop [name_u]Lou[/name_u] if your niece uses it.

1 Like

This is kind of a weird situation and I can relate because my sister goes by her middle name a lot but since [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] is meaningful and [name_u]Louise[/name_u] is only her cousin’s middle name, I think its fine. Also, if you named your daughter [name_f]Louisa[/name_f], your sister would probably stop calling her daughter by [name_u]Louise[/name_u] or [name_u]Lou[/name_u] when your around but I would probably have a conversation with your sister about the name before you use it because I’m sure she would be understanding.

1 Like

I think you should ask your sister how she feels about the situation.

1 Like

It sounds like maybe she used [name_u]Louise[/name_u] after you & and your family members? If you two have a good relationship, I’d just mention that you’re thinking about [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] and tell her why you love it & that you’d love the cousins to have that connection. If she’s mad about it, you can work on it, but then at least you know and don’t start a fight later down the line. Since [name_u]Louise[/name_u] is your middle name and it’s a family name, I’d say you have every right to use [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] or even [name_u]Louise[/name_u] if you wanted. I don’t see anything wrong with there being a “[name_u]Lou[/name_u]” or “[name_f]Lulu[/name_f]” & a “______ [name_u]Lou[/name_u].”

2 Likes

In all honesty I would ask your sister first. People can get weird about names. But if she is reasonable and rational, she should say it’s okay!

My sister wanted to name her son the same name as DS’s middle name. I told her I wasn’t bothered by it and that I don’t own the name, as long as you don’t use his first name I don’t really care. But she couldn’t get over it being DS’s middle name and ended up choosing a completely different name for her little one. She has since told me that she regretted his name in hindsight and a part of me always feel like she should have just used the name that she wanted.

3 Likes

I’d probably choose something else if I’m honest

If I’m entirely honest, I probably would choose a different name. But if you’re really attached to it, I say go for it anyway, its not like [name_u]Louise[/name_u] is her first name

1 Like

Wow, thank you for sharing! I really enjoyed hearing that perspective.

You have to talk to your sister about it. [name_m]Don[/name_m]’t decide until you have a real chat over it.

One compromise could be you also using it as a middle.