Would you want your child to ..?

personally yes i would only because in today’s world i feel like finding a job without a degree is getting more and more difficult. however if my child has figured out how to support themselves and is happy with their job/career by the age of 18 (which is typical university age here) then i might be okay with them not attending university.

drop out of high school?

yes, if they truly feel it’s the best choice for them in that season i would support them as long as they have a plan on what they’re going to do with their time e.g. start a business, find a job, apprentice, volunteer. you can always go back and finish high school later, and stress, mental health issues, bullying, neurodiversity, lack of support, social & peer pressure and plenty of other things can lead to someone’s decision to drop out.

move out before they’re 18?

Not likely, I don’t think it’s a financially wise decision, not to mention how dangerous my country is for minors. I’d rather they save some money and then fly free.

Drop everything to become a pro gamer?

I wouldn’t want them too drop everything because that wouldn’t be suitable long-term but I would support their decision if it makes them happy and they have a long-term plan!

Be super religious?

No. Being “super” about following a particular belief system… I think it could make them less open-minded? I mean if they’ve found a faith which keeps them happy that’s fine, but I’d worry a bit that becoming a very strong follower of one religion might make them less open to the positives of other religions or atheist views, or more judgemental of people who don’t follow their religion or potentially who don’t fit with the views of their religion (e.g. homosexual, transgender). I want my children to be loving and open-minded critical thinkers.

Would you want your child to be a professional ballet dancer?

1 Like

Sure

watch scary movies?

YES
Help others who are in need…

No way, survival is of the fittest,

Have children when they are in their teens?

Preferably not. I know young parents can be absolutely great too, but if they ask me I’d still suggest waiting until the mid-20s so they can finish school and experience more in life before committing to raising children.

Take a gap year to travel abroad alone right after high school?

it’s what i would like to do; so, yes!! just with a friend. not alone.

follow an acting/singing career instead of college?

Sure. I’d love a singer or actor in the house! That was always me in my house. :smiling_face: I wouldn’t be paying for headshots, though, I’ll say that much.

Attend church?

2 Likes

Absolutely! I’d love for them to attend church and will take them. Obviously, if they don’t want to go I won’t force them, but I’d be thrilled if they decided to join me! :heart:

Use swear words casually?

2 Likes

It wouldn’t bother me in theory, but I would want them to recognize that some people and situations interpret swearing as disrespectful (and that clean language can be a way to show respect) and be able and willing to adapt their speech patterns based on their environment. I wouldn’t want casual swearing to be a pattern they establish without first understanding the social norms surrounding swear words, so as much as I find it funny when young children swear, I would discourage it until they’re much older and not model it at home. Slurs directed towards others would always be a no-go.

Attend a Montessori school?

3 Likes

I can’t imagine I’d feel strongly about it—a nice preschool environment is a nice preschool environment, no matter the style—but I’m not opposed. I think I’m neutral on this one, really.

Style their own hair for school picture day?

1 Like

within reason :sweat_smile:

practice driving before their legal age?

1 Like

Definitely. It’s what everyone I know has done. Anyhow, you’ve got to practice if you’re to get your license right when you are of legal age.

…draw a tattoo for you to get?

2 Likes

Not unless they were super talented at art :rofl: and even then, I dunno, the idea of it’s nice but I don’t think I’d be keen on the pain of getting it done!

… attend a Steiner school?

i’m very keen on homeschooling, and if i were to send my children to a school i would choose a [name_u]Christian[/name_u] one. i really love the philosophy of steiner schools, though!

would you want your child to become a full-time athlete at a young age?

If that is what they wanted to do do then I would support it. But first we would have a conversation whether this is what they wanted to do with their life, and the pros and cons.

Become a teen parent?

No. I believe you can be a good parent at any age but there’s so much growing to be done in high school and college. Mentally and physically. Plus pregnancy is riskier, and birth defects are higher in young pregnancies. Most young parents are not in a financially stable situation etc.

Would you want your child to wear make up at a young age

1 Like