Wow. Really?

I was reading on another website how people chose their children’s names. One of the replies was that they had printed out the top 100 names and chose from THAT!

Wait, what? [name]How[/name] awful! I mean, of course it’s fine to like names in the top 100 ( I, for example, like [name]Audrey[/name] and [name]James[/name]), but the fact that those parents went looking for the most popular names in the country without even a thought towards all of the other wonderful names out there? (I mean, I know it’s their choice, but aren’t there any names that hold even the slightest bit of significance to them?)

That’s more than a little depressing. I’m just hoping that they have a more exotic last name to balance out their lack of imagination and care.

Okay, I think I’m finished. Thoughts, anyone?

P.S. Please tell me I’m not being a total name-snob, because that’s not what I was aiming for!

Well if you want your kid to have a name that’s common but not too popular, that’s probably the way to go. You could cross out, say, the top 20 and choose from the remaining 80. There are some great names in the top 100.

There are some great names in the top 100, and I can understand reading them for inspiration, but REALLY? I would never be able to do something like that… My favourite name is just outside the top 100, at number 129 actually, and I could never imagine myself in these limits of the top 100… does that make sense? Like, putting up boundaries?
Anyway, those parents must be the most unenthusiastic people on [name]Earth[/name], if they can’t even bother to research a little more than a hundred names… I would read the top one thousand! (:

Maybe they just aren’t really into names… lots of people aren’t.

I really don’t find that awful at all. If what they want is a nice, common name, then that sounds like a pretty good way to get a name. Honestly, I prefer someone picking a legit, common name to them trying to come up with an “original” name with a creative spelling. (I’ll take a room full of Sarahs over one [name]Neveah[/name] any day) And when you get down to it, a name being in the top 100 doesn’t make it that popular or common. My name is in the 60s for my birth year and it’s never been a problem. I never had a classmate with the same name, nor a co-worker, nor a friend. Picking a name because it’s in the top 100 is no sillier than not choosing a name because it is in the top 100.

It sounds like a perfectly reasonable way to get a normal but not-too-common name. Personally I don’t think choosing an obscure name makes someone particularly imaginative or creative. My husband and I are both very creative, enjoy literature and had a blast picking our boys’ names, yet all three of them came out of the top 100. They had family meaning, or literary connections or we just fell in love with them. We didn’t set out to use common names, but for us it just worked out that way. I’ve seen people on some of these sites that said they refused to use any names that were even in the top 1,000! To me that’s way crazier than what this couple did.

I think that some people who don’t go crazy about names like we do might be overwhelmed by the amount of choices out there. When you consider that the top 1000 is really just the surface of how many names are out there, it can be a bit daunting. I suppose if I felt that overwhelmed, I’d pick the names I like most in the top 100 then go do a bit of research and find names that are similar to make sure there wasn’t anything else I might like more. Of course, I do that with names in general instead of the top 100, but hey, I like to be extra thorough with the things I greatly care about :smiley:

I guess I wasn’t making myself clear.

What I meant to get across was the fact that those parents limited themselves to 100 names. Yes, naming a new baby can be daunting, but it’s not impossible! Especially today, when there are hundreds upon hundreds of resources that are made to help you with your choice. Nameberry, for example.

And, not all of the “classic and/or traditional” names are in the top 100 - [name]Eleanor[/name] is just outside that range at number 165 just like [name]Margaret[/name] is at 182. And [name]Lydia[/name], at 111.

[name]Ah[/name] well. I guess it’s not my choice, anyway.

Oh, I agree that it’s ridiculous. I think it’s just being lazy. I don’t know WHY you would want to be lazy with something so important as your baby’s name, but I bet that’s part of it. The other reason could be that some parents may believe that there kid won’t be picked on if they have a ‘normal’ name. You and I both know that’s ludicrous, but not everyone agrees. Seriously though, it really isn’t hard to go pick up a naming book or get on the web and do some research. You don’t even have to spend anything. Go to the library.

I don’t think it is the popularity of the name that is the issue – it is the lack of personal direction. I have to add, I think it would also be odd if someone restricted herself to the bottom 100 names, because after all, she wanted something uncommon. I think either idea seems weird to us, certainly to me, because aren’t you supposed to be drawn to certain sounds and choices, and then you check out how popular each is, think about how it works with your last name, your other kids’ names etc. etc. I don’t have any problem with someone using a top 100 name – I recommend it all the time – I’m just puzzled by the apparent lack of personal taste and feeling that seems to be at work here.

If this couples notion is – such as it is – to get a name that fits into the crowd someone should point them in the direction of the “Fitting In Standing Out” list in the latest [i]Beyond [name]Ava[/name] and [name]Aiden[/name][i]. Apparently this couple could close their eyes, put a finger on a random name on the page and use it. :slight_smile:

The only reason I could think of for choosing a name that way would be if I were new to the country and wanted my kid to have an American name. Otherwise it’s a little weird.

I think its okay if you go and look at some name books or something and your kids name happens to end up being one of the names in the top 100, but if thats the only place you look and then you decide, “Okay, we like this name, this is all the effort we need to put into naming our child,” thats kind of a little sad. I kind of feel sorry for any kid whose name was chosen that way :frowning: . That is DEFINITELY not how I will chose my kids’ names!!!

I think these parents may have just out-hipped the hipsters. Being unique is too mainstream.

In all seriousness, I really don’t see the problem with that method. I see people say they won’t consider the top 100 or even 500 on nameberry all the time, and no one seems to have a problem with that. Perhaps these parents wanted a common name in the way that other parents want a unique name. There are benefits of common names that people tend to forget- fewer spelling and pronunciation issues, not prone to being considered “weird,” and easier for others to remember. Sometimes people even prefer being one of many; blending into the crowd can offer a lot more privacy than being the [name]Habakkuk[/name] of the class. Some people even like meeting others who share their name- it’s an easy start to a conversation. So I really don’t think it’s that strange to want a popular name; at least, it isn’t any stranger to me than wanting an uncommon name.

I understand what you are trying to say. Why limit yourself to just 100 names? I also see where other people are coming from, why limit yourself only to names outside the top 100? I think it’s important to have a balanced and open mind about names. For example, we named our son [name]Callum[/name] which is barely even on the charts in the US, but we came close to choosing [name]Samuel[/name] (one of my all time favorites) which is top 25. We shouldn’t be prejudice against names because of their ranking, we should judge them based on what they mean to us and they way they sound and make us feel. Sorry for the hippy-ish reply, sometimes I can’t help it :wink:

I can see why they’ve done this - sure, they want a not-too-wild name, respectably, and one which a lot of people like… and of course the child will be sure to know more than themselves with that name. And as has been pointed out - some people just aren’t into names.

I have nothing at all against people who like/use names in the top 100 - there are loads of great names which is the main reason they are popular… but to limit yourself to just those specific names is plain ridiculous and shows a huge lack of imagination and a whole lot of ignorance.