Wren for a boy?

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you like it?

Any suggestions of middles to complement/balance it out a bit?

Honestly, I would assume a [name_u]Wren[/name_u] was female. Now if I saw [name_u]Ren[/name_u], I would assume male. Most people do not hear the middle name, so even if there was a very masculine middle name, it would not help people to know the person was male.

I like it. I also like it spelt [name_m]Renn[/name_m].

[name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_m]Marshall[/name_m]
[name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_m]Oliver[/name_m]
[name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_m]Lucas[/name_m]
[name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_u]Auden[/name_u]
[name_u]Wren[/name_u] Farrow
[name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_u]August[/name_u]
[name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_m]Foster[/name_m]
[name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_m]Abraham[/name_m]
[name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u]
[name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_m]Maddox[/name_m]

I agree. But I think it could work. [name_u]Wren[/name_u] is quite unisex, so why not? :slight_smile: I like the previous suggestion of [name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_m]Oliver[/name_m].

[name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m]
[name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_m]Atticus[/name_m]
[name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_m]Merrick[/name_m]
[name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_m]Pierce[/name_m]

Ooh, [name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_u]August[/name_u] - I love that! And [name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_m]Oliver[/name_m], actually.

Thanks for the thoughts on the name. I know it’s more commonly used for girls but why do you think that is? Can you see it on a boy, even if your expectation would be girl?

I love the link to Sir [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_u]Wren[/name_u] and I think that makes it feel suited to a boy as well to me.

I think a teenage boy and a man would not be thankful for being given the name [name_u]Wren[/name_u]. But the best would be to ask groups of teenage boys and men how they would feel and how they think other teenage boys and men would react to a male [name_u]Wren[/name_u].

It’s not about how we all individually feel about a name it is how a name is perceived as a whole (because this was misread as to an individual choosing a name for their own child, I want to make it more clear that I mean how we individually feel about how a name is perceived. Like whether Wren is a girls or boys name. I can have my opinion, the next five people have their own, but what matters is how it seems to the majority of people.) . That does not mean it is okay, or right, but that is how things are. I do not feel it is our place to insert our wish for equal rights (or any other agenda) using a name (not that that is what you are doing, but I have seen plenty of it on the forum). A name is not ours. The name belongs to the receiver of the name and they will be the ones that wear it for 70/80 years.

• Added what is bolded.

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] [name_f]Katinka[/name_f]!
[name_u]Wren[/name_u] is a lot like [name_u]Robin[/name_u] to me, some people will find it suits a girl while others will associate it as a male name only. Both are unisex and can be worn by either gender easily. I find that I’m the opposite to the previous posters who said [name_u]Ren[/name_u] is more masculine - I find that while the W makes it more soft looking, it makes it more rugged.

I like the sound of [name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] and it gives opportunity for a timeless/familiar name your child can use for nickname potential in future. I was actually thinking of [name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] as a suggestion so it’s funny you mention [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_u]Wren[/name_u]! If you are feeling less confident in [name_u]Wren[/name_u] as a standalone name, you could try [name_u]Reynold[/name_u] with the nn [name_u]Ren[/name_u]/[name_u]Wren[/name_u] but I don’t think you have too much to worry about :slight_smile:

I also want to suggest [name_u]Wren[/name_u] Forrestor (or [name_m]Forrester[/name_m]/Forestor) as a lovely, nature-y name if you’re into that!

I think this is a very interesting opinion that I disagree with. While, yes, it’s obviously the wearer of the name that has to bear it, I do not think a parent naming their child something they love that isn’t traditionally used in such a way is something to be critical of. It actually IS their choice to envision the life they want for their child and name them accordingly… It’s not cruel unless the name means something like “sissy girl” for a boy, which I don’t think a parent would intentionally do. [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f], for instance, means blind - do you think parents that name their child [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] actively think “I want her to grow up to be blind!”? Or if you choose to use honor names of family members, it puts an unintentional weight of living up to that person’s standard as their namesake whether it was something the parent hoped for their child or not.

I’m sorry if this comes across as too direct or offensive, but I wanted to share my opinions just as boldly as you did. You are entitled to yours, of course, so I hope you can respect mine :slight_smile:

Many parents make up names these days, anyhow - that’s how names come to be… In the bible, there’s plenty of proof of this: [name_m]Moses[/name_m] meaning drawn from the water, for example. It was not specific for male or female until it came to be. Yes, some names are very established for specific genders, but many names make the transition between genders well and as [name_u]Wren[/name_u] is an up and coming name I think there is more than enough room for a very masculine man to make it their own. It all comes down to confidence. Girls named [name_u]James[/name_u] do just fine… Names like [name_u]Brook[/name_u]/[name_u]Brooke[/name_u]/[name_m]Brooks[/name_m] are a total grey area too.

Anyway, there’s my novel to offer a differing opinion on the matter! Haha

***Edited to add: I do think it would be cruel to name a child [name_m]Adolf[/name_m] or Satan, for instance, based on societal opinion. So there are obvious limits that would be acceptable to consider overall perception of the name! Naming a boy [name_u]Wren[/name_u] is not even in the same league as such a circumstance though, obviously!!

To me nature names are genderless… [name_u]Wren[/name_u] gives the impression of girly… possibly because it’s nature and it’s a small bird and both are more considered ‘feminine’… some people preserve the idea that birds and flowers and plants are somewhat girly… when in fact they are genderless.

I’m the sort of person that likes [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], [name_f]Willow[/name_f] and [name_f]Rose[/name_f] on boys though (I’ve met males with these names and it suited them). [name_u]Wren[/name_u] is completely unisex and as long as you remain positive about his name, it shouldn’t matter what others think… and if it does he has the option to go by a nickname or his middle name if he chooses.

First I never said cruel. I said it is not a place to use for our own agenda (like woman’s equal rights). You also went off about other things that I did not bring up, or state my opinion on. But maybe that was based on you assuming I said it was cruel. I will never change my mind on that matter. We all have a right to our own opinion. And we can all be as vocal as we want. The baby cannot speak up for themselves, so sometimes it is good for others to do so.

I think because you stated your opinion as if it were fact (“It’s not about how we all individually feel about a name. It is how a name is perceived as a whole.”) it was implied that should someone follow through on naming their child based on how they feel individually it would be cruel. I’m sorry that my word choice to describe the implication bothered you. I did not anticipate to change your mind, nor was I trying to, I only intended on offering a different stance on the matter. That’s why I shared other ideas that you did not bring up, because they were my own thoughts. Let’s go ahead and agree to disagree so we don’t disrupt the point of this thread :slight_smile:

There’s a popular TV series called Pretty [name_m]Little[/name_m] Liars that has a male character named [name_u]Wren[/name_u] - and this was the same show that catapulted [name_f]Aria[/name_f] into popularity. So I don’t have any difficulty seeing a boy wear it.

I prefer it on males. It’s unisex, I don’t think you need to be talked out of it. It’s not even that popular of a first name, so it wouldn’t be on the same level as naming a boy [name_u]Madison[/name_u] where there might be 5 girls in his class named [name_u]Madison[/name_u] (full disclosure - I prefer [name_u]Madison[/name_u] on a boy too). A [name_u]Wren[/name_u] is a bird, just like [name_u]Robin[/name_u], [name_u]Dove[/name_u], [name_m]Hawk[/name_m], [name_f]Lark[/name_f], [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u], [name_f]Sparrow[/name_f], I could go on forever. Birds are not gender-specific, and I could see all names I just listed on either gender.

[name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] is fantastic.

I think it would be very handsome. I dont see why it cant be used as a boys name. [name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_u]August[/name_u] is lovely and very gender neutral. I also love [name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_m]Oliver[/name_m].

I really like Ren or Renn on a boy but I wouldn’t name a boy Wren. It reads all-girl to me and I think your son would have to deal with people assuming he was a female upon just seeing his name in print - an unnecessary burden IMO. Wren is quite popular as a girl’s name at present so he is quite likely going to have classmate(s) named Wren.

I would assume female also, but I could definitely see it on a boy! [name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] is darling.

I’ve never met or even heard of anyone named [name_u]Wren[/name_u] at all, so I don’t have any preconceptions really. As far as I’m aware, it’s rather a modern name (as a first name) that doesn’t have much of an established gender. Purely from the sound, it strikes me as masculine because of [name_u]Ren[/name_u] being a nickname for a few male names (e.g. [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u]). From the spelling, I really only think of the bird, and for most species I don’t think birds seem particularly masculine or feminine. A wren is just a little brown bird. Stats suggest it is certainly used more for girls than boys at the moment, but I think it’s probably still rare enough that your child is likely to be the only [name_u]Wren[/name_u] in the school anyway, so all his peers would automatically categorise it as a boy’s name.

So in short, yes I think it’s fine for a boy and I don’t see it as bringing any sort of ‘agenda’ to naming a child.

Very interesting to read all your thoughts, thank you!

To clarify, this is a hypothetical question as baby boy’s name is already set (and it’s not [name_u]Wren[/name_u], as some of you will be relieved to hear! :wink: )

I’ve just been pondering this name again recently, initially for a girl but then I realised that I also like it on a boy. I do tend to like quite soft, even feminine, boys’ names so perhaps the fact that it’s mostly given to girls despite being technically unisex is part of the appeal to me. I don’t generally like “boy” nature names much as the ones that are mostly masculine tend to run a little on the harsh/macho side for my tastes. But I do find something appealing about softer names like [name_u]Juniper[/name_u], Lupin and [name_u]Rue[/name_u] for boys, and [name_u]Wren[/name_u] seems to fit into this category too.

I love [name_u]Wren[/name_u] on a boy!!!

Exactly my thoughts, especially for the first sentence.