Writer's Corner Family

I posted on here back in 2017 when the thread was first created but I’ll give a little update since that was a while ago and there’s some new people around!

[name_f]My[/name_f] name is [name_u]Abby[/name_u], I turned 21 about a month ago, and I’m about to be a senior in college. I’m majoring in psychology and minoring in creative writing, with a focus on child developmental psychology. I have two major projects that I’m working on currently: one takes place in a fantasy world with stories/characters inspired by fairytales (I have 2 series planned for it at the moment, but I would love to expand the world further) and the other is about a legacy assassin who operates in the setting of a college campus.

I like writing fantasy or action, but tend to do so in the style of a YA novel. As I explain it to others, my stories are for people who loved YA novels growing up but can no longer believe that a trio of 15-year-olds could singlehandedly topple any sort of self-respecting government :wink: . [name_f]My[/name_f] characters tend to be between the ages of 18-22, so college aged! I also allow them to curse when it is appropriate haha.

A few random facts about me:

• I was a competitive dancer from ages 8 to 18. I’ve trained in ballet, jazz, tap, modern, tumbling, and musical theatre. I still dance whenever possible but it’s hard to find a space open enough.
  • I’m planning to take a gap year after I graduate to try and publish a book. [name_f]My[/name_f] dream is to be able to support myself on writing alone but I understand the odds of that are slim. I also believe that you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take so I’m going to give myself an opportunity to succeed. If it doesn’t work out, I will still write, but I will go to graduate school for psychology (and be happy in that career as well)
  • I love to travel. I was supposed to spend this last semester in [name_m]Cyprus[/name_m] but I was sent home about six weeks in for obvious reasons. I have also been to Spain (Madrid), [name_f]France[/name_f] ([name_u]Paris[/name_u]), [name_f]Italy[/name_f] ([name_u]Rome[/name_u]), Belgium (Brussels), the Netherlands ([name_m]Amsterdam[/name_m]), [name_f]Austria[/name_f] ([name_f]Vienna[/name_f]), [name_f]England[/name_f] ([name_u]London[/name_u]), and [name_u]Israel[/name_u] (Tel [name_u]Aviv[/name_u] and [name_u]Jerusalem[/name_u]). [name_f]My[/name_f] icon (the different colored umbrellas) is a picture I took in Nicosia, [name_m]Cyprus[/name_m], and the scene in my profile is a picture I took from the top of Kyrenia castle in Kyrenia, [name_m]Cyprus[/name_m]. During my gap year, I want to teach [name_f]English[/name_f] abroad.
  • I have 2 younger sisters and 2 dogs. Also, I’m allergic to cats.
  • I have lived in 6 states.
  • I love Disney, especially Disney princesses
  • I love to bake, especially [name_u]French[/name_u] macarons!
  • I love watching soccer and football. [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite soccer team is Sporting Kansas City.
  • [name_f]My[/name_f] middle name is [name_f]Caroline[/name_f].
  • I really like astrology! My friend got me into it and I think it’s super interesting. I’m a Taurus.
4 Likes

I was only able to spend an afternoon or so in [name_f]Vienna[/name_f] but I loved it! Prague was on my list for spring break but I was sent home too soon :disappointed:.

1 Like

I’ve never read the book for [name_u]Les[/name_u] Mis, but I loooooove the musical!!! :sob: I’ve never been to Europe unfortunately, or even to any country across the atlantic ocean. But I have been to the cayman islands and the galapagos, as well as mexico and canada (every summer before this one :sob:).

1 Like

@anon68906791, take it from me, [name_f]Georgia[/name_f], USA is not worth visiting haha! I’m sort of kidding, there are lovely parts of [name_f]Georgia[/name_f], just not the parts I drive through to get to and from college :wink: .

1 Like

Am I the only one who finds it the slightest bit funny that it’s called “writer’s corner?” So unwanted :joy:.

2 Likes

Hey! I’m [name_f]Anna[/name_f], I don’t have pen name yet, but I don’t really need to rush, being at an age (early teens) most people would consider too young to write the type of books I do. If I do come up with a pen name I think I’ll want to keep my initials the same. I’m British. I’ve never published anything and am not very good at finishing anything, I’ve got too many ideas. I’ve not been writing as much, because I’ve got a bunch of stuff I need not to forget for next year. I try to help others out on here as best I can, but I think I’ve got pretty useless advice. The only people who’ve read what I have written are my closet friends. I write fiction, but I can’t say I’m very good at it.
Yeah that’s all I have to say. It’s nice to meet you all!

3 Likes

Didn’t know there were sequels to The Giver! We had to read it in High School, I liked the idea but it bothered me so much how the numbers didn’t add up :laughing:

Sooo, my turn to introduce myself.
I go by [name_f]Wanda[/name_f] online and I’m horribly old (24). I used to work for the Census Bureau and am currently majoring in Statistics and minoring in Med. I’m the middle child with two brothers close to me in age, they still live where we grew up while I moved out the day I turned 18.

I always enjoyed making up stories and started writing seriously about 6 years ago. I write YA with characters about 15yo and still looking to find themselves. I have one finished and two unfinished novels at the moment, one of them the sequel to the finished one, and another one in mind. NaNoWriMo has helped me achieve a lot of this!

Some things:

• I knit and crochet. A lot.
  • I ironically enjoy terrible fanfiction, especially for [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m].
  • I love absurd conspiracy theories like Hollow Earthers or Ancient Astronauts.
  • I like gardening but I’m bad at it.
  • Since everyone is talking about it, I’ve never been to [name_f]Vienna[/name_f], although I have a cousin there.
  • Also since everyone is saying it, my middle name is [name_u]Gabriele[/name_u], horribly old-fashioned but it’s a family name so that’s okay.
3 Likes

I’m not a very prominent poster in this forum, but I’m trying to come here more often.

I will just list everything I can think to list about myself:

• [name_f]My[/name_f] name is [name_f]Carlene[/name_f]
• [name_f]My[/name_f] middle name is DeNae
• [name_f]My[/name_f] pen name is [name_f]Carlene[/name_f] DeNae (I know, creative!)
• The reason for my pen name is 1) I despise my surname, and 2) because it’ll be changing anyway, when I get married, and I don’t want to have to change my pen name
• I am considering writing under a secret secondary pen name, too (for different kinds of works, maybe.) Still unsure what it will be. I have an idea, but I’m not revealing it, because that’s the whole idea of a secret pen name.
• I am 16 (turning 17 in [name_f]September[/name_f])
• I’m in 11th grade, and will be going into 12th in the fall
• I will be going to college next fall for an [name_f]English[/name_f] Language and Literature, starting at a community college and then moving to a university, in the state
• I know that I want to use my degree for writing, but I may also use it to become an [name_f]English[/name_f] teacher in the future
• I write mostly fiction, although I do dabble in poetry
• The majority of my finished works are poetry and short stories, because all of my fiction are long, ongoing projects
• I’ve never had anything published
• [name_f]My[/name_f] parents don’t know that I write, nor will they until I have a finished book to hand them, which will be dedicated to them
• I’ve never traveled much, but I’ve been to Ohio, Illinois, Kentucky, [name_u]Tennessee[/name_u], [name_f]Georgia[/name_f], & [name_f]Florida[/name_f] ([name_f]Florida[/name_f], the most times)
• I’m from [name_u]Indiana[/name_u], btw
• I have an older brother and a younger sister
• I’m homeschooled
• I’m a [name_u]Christian[/name_u], although I don’t plan to write much (if any) [name_u]Christian[/name_u] fiction (I’ve just never been pulled to it, and I haven’t had any good ideas for any, yet)
• I have an aunt who has 9 daughters (that’s interesting)
• I am interested in learning Spanish, [name_m]German[/name_m], Korean, & American Sign Language
• [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite books: The Hunger Games series, the [name_m]Little[/name_m] Women series, the Lunar Chronicles series, & [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] and Her Monsters
• I have always wanted to get married young, and have kids right away, but the older I get, the more I realize that’s not really an option
• I have SO MANY names for characters stored up. Seriously, ask me for any sort of names and I probably have them written down somewhere.
• I’m apparently really good at finding the good fanfiction, and Wattpad stories, so I read those some, but I’ve started reading published books more than those in the last year
• Oh! And my favorite color is definitely yellow, but only sunflower yellow.

I’ve already put too many things. I’m sorry. I guess you know me really well now, lol.

3 Likes

Hey I was homeschooled till a year ago!!

I am also learing [name_m]German[/name_m] and Spanish (as well as Latin)…and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the [name_m]Little[/name_m] Women Series!

SAME!!

1 Like

WOW all of you guys have traveled so much!

I have never been out of the country. [name_f]My[/name_f] mom hates vacations and traveling and my dad doesn’t like the beach (which is the only place my mom would want us to travel to), even though my dad really loves traveling and goes to Mexico and [name_m]Germany[/name_m] every year for work, though this year he hasn’t had to (yay, one good thing that came out of quarantine I guess? :confused:). So we like never go on vacations or travel anywhere more than 3 hours away.

1 Like

Yes! If I had to choose only one book to read for the rest of my life it would absolutely be [name_m]Little[/name_m] Women!

1 Like

Also, I haven’t gotten very far in learning Spanish even though I’ve been learning off and on since I was 9. I’ve been looking into different books for it lately, because nothing has helped so far. :confused: And I have always wanted to learn Latin!!! I can totally see myself deciding to finally do it at 2 am some morning, which wouldn’t be a bad thing and I would totally accept it.

Aw! That stinks!! :slightly_frowning_face: I never used to take many vacations, but we started going to Disney World in 2010, and that’s become our family vacation, somehow, and now we go to different places when we have vacation time but can’t go to Disney World. I think the only reason my parents push it so much is because neither of them got to go much of anywhere when they were kids, and I know my dad, at least, hated that.

1 Like

One of my friends is the same way. Her mom is terrified of planes so they’ve only ever been as far as they can drive. She’s never been on a plane before, something that is shocking to me (but she’s not even my only friend who hasn’t!).

[name_f]My[/name_f] family travels a bit but it’s hard to do since there’s 5 of us and we’ve always had a dog (or two!) that we would have to board so we don’t do it as much as I’d like. [name_f]My[/name_f] mom’s family has a cottage in [name_m]Long[/name_m] Island that we visit for two weeks every summer, so that doesn’t leave a lot of extra time to travel (although I wouldn’t trade that time for the world! It’s my favorite place on [name_f]Earth[/name_f]).

I’ve actually never traveled outside of the country with my family: I went to Spain, [name_f]France[/name_f], and [name_f]Italy[/name_f] on a school trip when I was 16, and I visited the other countries earlier this year before covid spread! We are planning to do a cruise in the Caribbean this [name_u]December[/name_u] because, as my dad says, we’ll “all be seniors” (I’ll be a senior in college, my middle sister will be a senior in high school, and my youngest sister will be in 8th grade, her final year of middle school). Fingers crossed :crossed_fingers: it’ll work out!

I definitely plan to travel a lot with my kids when I’m older because I love it so much.

2 Likes

ooh what we do with our cats is ask one of our friends or neighbors to feed and come over to play with them a few times a day, and we do it for them. It’s quite fun!

1 Like

We drive to [name_m]Orlando[/name_m], [name_f]Florida[/name_f] almost every year, which is almost 1,000 miles and takes us 2 days… I’ve been told that’s a Midwestern thing to do. But, I’ve also never been on a plane.

1 Like

I’ve been on a plane twice: Once on our trip to Disneyworld, and the other time on our trip for our aunt and uncle’s wedding at the Grand [name_u]Canyon[/name_u]. The other times we have to drive 10 hours to get to places. But we listen to audiobooks or my family makes me read books out loud to them.

maybe it’s a southeastern thing too, or maybe it’s just all the families we know (almost all) have more than 4 kids and apparently you can only have 3 kids on a plane ticket. And they have such big vans (like utility vans) anyway that they can take a few more people in their cars.

1 Like

Aw! Cute!!

We don’t do anything fun on ours. We just all have our faces in our phones or books, and then we talk about the place we’re driving through, sometimes. Or things that have happened on vacation over the years. I think it’s because we get sick of each other after the 5 of us being stuck in a pickup truck, that sits 6, together for 2 days, lol.

1 Like

[name_m]Little[/name_m] Women is one of the only classics I’ve read, because I never read them as a kid. But I have a bunch on my shelf (and on my parents’ shelves), and I’m excited to read them all! (I’m planning on actually reading A [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] [name_f]Carol[/name_f] for the first time this [name_u]Christmas[/name_u]) :blush:

1 Like