Writers' Quick Poll Thread

To me, personally, a mage is like a wizard or a witch who has mag(ic).

A sage is, maybe, someone who practices Wicca or similar faiths but has no magic of their own (kind of similar to a soothsayer or a prophet or a seer or an empath, maybe, but not always).

3 Likes

I don’t read much fantasy but I would consider a mage someone who does magic, like a wizard or sorcerer, and probably uses spells/hexes/etc, whereas I would consider a sage someone who is very wise or maybe somehow prophetic, who uses more herbs/natural magic.

7 Likes

What should be his name?

Description: The character is a twelve year old boy, he has brown hair, fair skin and is short and slender. He wears a red hoodie, blue shirt and khaki shorts and wears a yellow backpack :school_satchel:.He is known to carry a big notebook with him to write down his ideas on.

He is a twelve year old boy who loves to draw and make cartoons, he makes animated videos online and wants to be a animator when he grows up; he is also a pop-culture enthusiast, with extensive knowledge of TV shows, comic books and movies, as well as a passion for filmmaking. He is humorous, talkative, nice, sweet, confident, creative, imaginative, witty, optimistic, energetic, easygoing, quirky, smart, intelligent, odd, loyal, and pedantic though he is also known to be annoying, nuisance, and obnoxious at times, he is also known to be very mischievous. He is also likes to do impressions of celebrities and people he knew at school he also engage in role play he assumes characters from other different types of works. He likes cartoons, tv shows, music, drawing, making videos/movies, playing video games, doing impressions, reading books, listening to music, and hanging out with his friends.

• Ivan
  • Jamie
  • Rowan

0 voters

Middle for Esmerelda “Esme”

• Amber
  • Amberly
  • Ember
  • Emberly

0 voters

What should be her name?

She is a girl who is nice, fun-loving, cool, smart, down to earth, sweet, laid-back, kind, quirky, genuine, easygoing, wise, sensible who is the fixture of the group, she likes to cook, relax outside, play on her guitar and is a good dancer, she is tall and has long red hair, a big pointy nose to detect a scent in her friends (which she likens to a pleasant smell) and has a enormously big belly; and she even has unique way of a speaking and laughing.

• Fiona
  • Ellie
  • Bailey
  • Georgia
  • Allison
  • Gina
  • Susan
  • Eleanor

0 voters

I need a middle name for Nessa!

• Nessa James
  • Nessa Jane
  • Nessa Lark
  • Nessa Wren
  • Nessa Loveday

0 voters

Character description: ___ has 4b kinky dark brown hair, dark brown eyes, and dark complexion. He’s part of a group of teens living in a big city who all have magic powers. He’s always the one stuck behind at the base because of what his power is, and is really impatient and very blunt. His power? He can brew different types of tea to either help or harm people. They may taste good, but they could taste bad, depending on how much he likes you. What should be his name? The other characters are Worth, Hailey, Eben, Liberty, and Cricket

Mackenzie or Amos?
  • Mackenzie nn Mack
  • Amos

0 voters

I’m such a book/musical nerd that my first thought was [name_f]Rose[/name_f] :sob::joy: I love your options!!

1 Like

That was my first too! :laughing:

1 Like

I’m trying to create a new group of characters who are friends, so How many people should it be in a group?

0 voters

What animal do you think Bonnie would be?

Bonnie is a girl who is nice, fun-loving, cool, smart, down to earth, sweet, laid-back, kind, quirky, genuine, easygoing, wise, sensible who is the fixture of the group, she likes to cook, relax outside, play on her guitar and is a good dancer, she is tall and has long red hair, a big pointy nose to detect a scent in her friends (which she likens to a pleasant smell) and has a enormously big belly; and she even has unique way of a speaking and laughing.

• Dog
  • Bear
  • Cat

0 voters

What should be her birthday?

1. Description: The character is a twelve year old girl, she has chin length brown hair, fair skin, pointy nose and wears yellow goggles for her to see, she is short and slender. She wears a green striped shirt and blue overalls and wears a yellow blanket around her back posing as pillar/wings.

She is a twelve year old girl who thinks is a anthropomorphic Pteranodon. She is nice, kind, energetic, sweet, humorous, eccentric, smart, geeky, outgoing, awkward, imaginative, talkative, loyal, playful, optimistic, naive but she can be neurotic, panicky, and anxious at times and is also a nuisance and annoying to others. She is a girl who likes to fly with her blanket and wants to be a aviator when she grows up in spite of this she can be seen as a target for certain people and bullies at school who see her as weird, odd, or just plain bizarre she don’t seem to care either way. She also likes to build and invent things for herself and her friends and the kids to enjoy for a event or a project, she’s the one to go to whenever you need something build, invent or need fixing. She also has a creative streak as in she likes to paint and draw pictures.

• November 29
  • August 16
  • May 30
  • May 31
  • March 10
  • December 3

0 voters

What would be her zodiac sign?

Description: The character is a thirteen year old girl, she has long blonde hair, she has light brilliant orange skin, and a big pointy nose; she is average height and is overweight with a enormously big belly. She wears a sleeveless luminous vivid scarlet shirt and blue jeans also wears brown sandals she sometimes wears sneakers and/or boots. She has a distinctive voice and a certain unique way she laughs.

Rachel is a thirteen year old girl who likes to skateboard, play sports and going out outside and play. She is tomboyish, nice, kind, cool, active, athletic, smart, outgoing, sociable, fun-loving, mature, diligent, hardworking, genuine, compassionate, mature, laid-back, easygoing, understanding, adventurous, sensible and down to earth though she can be also be tough and is also can have a short-tempered also is protective of the people that she cares about the most: her family and friends; she is also sometimes immature, controlling, sensitive, angst, and neurotic. She is on the basketball and soccer team at her school and her favorite classes are gym, art, and reading; after school she likes to go skateboarding in the park. She is a part of a group of friends named Oliver, Justin, Peter, Barry, Miranda and Shelby whom they consider her to be the most popular member because of her personality, they consider her as the big sister in the group despite being the same age; she likes to hang out with the guys because they shared the same interest but likes spending time with the girls, so she can show her girly side; she has a good friendship with Peter whom she considers to be her little guy/buddy. She has a mother who works at a hospital and father who is a computer programmer, she has two brothers and a little sister who has a close relationship with her, she also has a pet dog. She loves to go to the beach specially in the summer she likes to surf the waves, having a good time with her family, relaxing, eating good food and even likes to swim under the sea and even befriending the sea creatures as well, surprisingly she has dreams of the aquatic life. She likes to play sports, skateboard, hang out with her friends, play video games, draw and paint, ride her bike, listening to music, going on adventure, and going to the beach.

• Aries
  • Taurus
  • Gemini
  • Cancer
  • Leo
  • Virgo
  • Libra
  • Scorpio
  • Sagittarius
  • Capricorn
  • Aquarius
  • Pisces

0 voters

Getting ridiculously ahead of myself, but…

Say an author publishes a historical fiction novel and you really like it. (if you don’t like the genre, for the sake of the question pretend you do :joy:). They are now coming out with a second book, which is totally separate from the first one, not a sequel or anything. Would you expect it to be another historical fiction novel? Would you expect it to be set in the same general place or culture (could be as vague as ‘in the US’ or ‘about upper class French people’) and/or time period? Would you be disappointed if it wasn’t, because you liked the first book?

• I would expect and hope for another book in the same setting (general location/culture + time period)
  • I would expect the same general setting, but wouldn’t be disappointed otherwise
  • I would expect historical fiction of some kind, but not necessarily the same setting
  • I wouldn’t expect anything

0 voters

I have an idea for a historical fiction story that I might do for NaNo this year. I am not a published author and probably won’t be any time soon, if ever. But what is a quick poll thread for if not polls about wildly hypothetical situations :joy:

1 Like

i feel like i would be surprised, but if i liked the author, i’d still read them anyways. besides, debuts could be a completely different genre than what their second would be, especially depending on the market, etc, so i wouldn’t be surprised in that vein.

2 Likes

That makes sense! And I only slightly considered that there could be differences in the market/actual publishing part, so I’m glad you brought that up! Obviously this is all super super hypothetical though, lol

2 Likes

oops, somehow messed that poll up, sorry :sob:

Is Primrose too tied to The Hunger Games?
as in, could I include it in my story or should I stay away from it?
(to be more clear, I wouldn’t use Katniss for this reason. I wasn’t sure if Primrose was on the same level in other peoples eyes!)

• yes, it’s unusable
  • it’s very tied to it, but still maybe usable
  • it’s a little tied to it, but still usable
  • it’s tied to it, but usable so long as there are no other Hunger Games names used
  • no, it’s completely usable
  • it’s only usable if other characters have plant/flower names
  • it’s only usable if no other characters have plant/flower names
  • too tied to it now, but would be more usable years from now
  • other (@ me!)

0 voters

and…

• I have read & seen The Hunger Games
  • I have only read the books
  • I have only seen the movies
  • I have never seen or read The Hunger Games

0 voters

sorry this got long, thank you!!

I think I would avoid it if you’re writing a dystopian YA novel, even if there are no other Hunger Games names used. But for any other genre (even if it’s YA) I think it’s fine! Especially if the characters have different personalities.

4 Likes

thank you so much for your input!! do you think it’s okay if it’s a fantasy world? like think middle earth/lord of the rings/magic & some non-human creatures, etc?

(also, I forgot to add this to my post but feel free to be honest, none of the characters have official names yet so you wont hurt my feelings or anything :sweat_smile:)

2 Likes

Yes, definitely! If anything that feels like the perfect setting for the name Primrose.

4 Likes