Writers' Quick Question Thread

Thy work great together! They make a believable sibset without being alike.

Can you give me tips on how to write step-parent relationships? Is it realistic to refer to them by their firstname rather than mom/dad even after years or would that imply a bad relationship?

The only person I know who doesn’t call their step-parent by their first name is the cousin of a friend and her mum and step-dad got together when she was 2. She has never met her ‘real’ dad and always calls her step-dad dad. Everyone else, including me, with both my step-parents calls them by their first name. My step mum has been in my life for 13 years, but I always call her by her name. I have a friend who’s step-mum has been in his life since he was 4, and at 24 still calls her by her first name. I think it’s far more realistic for a person (child or adult) to call their step-parents by their first names, regardless of relationship and length of relationship. The only exception would be if they met when the child was very young and they don’t have a relationship with their birth parent, I think.

My main character is bisexual, but the book has a focus on friendship rather than romance, and she doesn’t have a relationship the whole book. Any tips for including her bisexuality without having to have her dating people?

1 Like

This is a good question! I’m bi so maybe that makes me qualified to answer (maybe not lol).

[name_m]General[/name_m] tips for keeping it platonic:

• don’t have any fake romantic scenes (i.e., they almost kiss, they almost do something, they brush hands, they look into each other’s eyes etc)
  • dont have her inner dialogue “crush” on anybody/allude to “crushing” on somebody unless it’s relevant/she’s going to get rejected
  • people might feel weird around her. It sucks, but especially girls (if you’re a girl and bi) might point out that you’re bi so you MUST have a crush on them because obviously you can’t control yourself, especially if they just find out. You don’t have to include this of course but it could be helpful to have her inner dialogue/narration be very surprised/confused/ a little pissed when another girl assumes she’s into them just because she happens to like girls- this could also help with the reader knowing there will not be a relationship between these characters
  • basically, bi people are exactly the same as everyone else as in they don’t crush on every person they meet or make every situation romantic, BUT sometimes people will assume they do which is a bit tough. So just having her be normal in a sense, platonic relationships are natural for bi ppl too. (I know you know this, just reiterating :slight_smile: )

Including her bisexuality:

• have her be worried about a new/old friend knowing (for instance, I told new friends just fine, old friends made me entirely nervous)
  • maybe have her accidentally say it? That’s happened to me
  • have someone react a bit badly, even if they come around
  • have a girl be “grossed out” by her/worry she likes her just because she’s bi
  • have her comically point out she’s bi in her internal dialogue

I don’t have many ideas because I don’t know what your story is/ what the setting is/ where she is etc. but if you need more help feel free to message me !

In one of my stories, a girl is in a cult-like situation in which she only knows her own community and hasn’t been exposed to anyone else. For this reason, she only knows names from the Bible. When naming her own child she’s in the middle of kind of “rebelling” so she names her something not in the Bible. What would you name the baby in this situation? I was thinking Bluebird or something else nature related but I’m not sure.

1 Like

I think something nature related or something that symbolises freedom or rebellion in some way would be great -or even perhaps objects, foods, activities that brought hope/comfort/freedom to the character?

Bluebird is brilliant.

Some ideas:

[name_f]Lark[/name_f], [name_u]Sky[/name_u], [name_u]Lake[/name_u], [name_u]Ocean[/name_u], Wave, [name_u]Sunny[/name_u], [name_f]Rainbow[/name_f], [name_f]Cocoa[/name_f], Chamomile, [name_f]Poppy[/name_f], [name_f]Valley[/name_f], [name_f]Star[/name_f], [name_f]Bunny[/name_f], [name_u]Bird[/name_u], [name_u]Falcon[/name_u], [name_f]Tea[/name_f], [name_u]Teddy[/name_u], [name_f]Velvet[/name_f], Song, [name_u]Storm[/name_u], [name_f]Breeze[/name_f], Daffodils, [name_f]Snow[/name_f], [name_u]River[/name_u], [name_f]Melody[/name_f], [name_f]Honey[/name_f], [name_m]Baker[/name_m], Moonlight, [name_f]Sunshine[/name_f], Wildrose, Kestrel, [name_m]Forest[/name_m]

[name_f]Do[/name_f] these fictional sibsets sound plausible?

[name_f]Chloe[/name_f] and [name_u]Aiden[/name_u]
[name_f]Thessaly[/name_f], [name_f]Tamar[/name_f] and [name_m]Atticus[/name_m]
[name_f]Kaia[/name_f], [name_u]Cassidy[/name_u], [name_m]Kerrigan[/name_m] and [name_f]Cadence[/name_f]
[name_f]Leandra[/name_f] and [name_f]Alessia[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelie[/name_f] and [name_m]Raphael[/name_m]

1 Like

I think all of them sound fine, withe the possible exception of [name_f]Tamar[/name_f] in that set. Attics and [name_f]Thessaly[/name_f] just feel so much more dramatic and ancient.

I have a character in a book named [name_f]Zadie[/name_f], and she has two sisters, who I originally named [name_f]Opal[/name_f] and [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], I think. But I keep forgetting their names, and I don’t feel like they suit them so well. What would you name [name_f]Zadie[/name_f]'s sisters? One is her twin, the other is a bit older. All are in their twenties with the surname MacIntyre.

1 Like

What about…
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u]
[name_u]Fionn[/name_u]
[name_f]Cara[/name_f]
[name_f]Hannah[/name_f]
[name_u]Emory[/name_u]
[name_f]Petra[/name_f]
[name_f]Lula[/name_f]
[name_f]Maura[/name_f]
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f]
[name_u]Sasha[/name_u]
[name_f]Bria[/name_f]
[name_f]Polly[/name_f]
[name_f]Safia[/name_f]
[name_f]Gemma[/name_f]
[name_u]Lane[/name_u]
[name_f]Willa[/name_f]
[name_f]Maya[/name_f]
[name_f]Ruth[/name_f]

I don’t have a question, you can answer the previous poster

1 Like

[name_f]Zadie[/name_f] &
[name_f]Juno[/name_f] (I love this with [name_f]Zadie[/name_f])
[name_u]Salem[/name_u]
Xanthea
[name_f]Thea[/name_f] (I love this one with [name_f]Zadie[/name_f] too)
[name_f]Layla[/name_f]
[name_u]Shiloh[/name_u]
[name_f]Cosima[/name_f]
[name_f]Cecile[/name_f]
[name_f]Zelda[/name_f]
[name_u]Aza[/name_u]
[name_f]Azalea[/name_f]
Azamia
[name_f]Shasta[/name_f]
[name_f]Cassia[/name_f]
[name_f]Astra[/name_f]
[name_f]Calliope[/name_f]
[name_u]Hero[/name_u]
[name_f]Lilac[/name_f]
[name_f]Rowena[/name_f]

What do you do when you’re having writer’s block? I’ve felt all blocked up for a couple of months now, and it’s so discouraging.

Look up some prompts, go on a walk, draw, paint, play an instrument, write down anything that comes to mind, describe the people around you, make a podcast, dig out an old story, read, write a poem, reread your favorite book, talk to people, make a pinterest board, read some more.

Basically: try new things, exercise your creativity.

What are some resources for writing characters with physical disabilities?

1 Like

@arietta-rose if you have a NaNoWriMo-account, there are annual threads about providing resources for each other based on personal experiences. I’m sure you’ll find some willing to talk about any kind of disease or disability. If not, search the tumblr tags.

@auroracallista adding to what pp said:

• make a list of things that won’t happen
  • think about what the worst thing to happen would be
  • try writing the story backwards

no question, answer above

1 Like

[name_m]Hi[/name_m],

As a disabled person and writer, I can’t think of any valid resources except to say - talk to disabled people. If your character is blind try talking to someone that’s blind or if the character uses a wheelchair, talk to some wheelchair users. That way you can ask specific questions about the problems your character is facing. And if you become friendly with the person you are asking the questions of then they might also be willing to be a beta-reader to give you feedback on your story especially where your disabled character is concerned.

Going back to author names - my name is [name_f]Chrys[/name_f] [name_m]Hawk[/name_m] [name_f]Stine[/name_f] and online I’ve always been merlynhawk. What I’m trying to figure out is which is better - CH [name_f]Stine[/name_f], [name_f]Chrys[/name_f] [name_m]Hawk[/name_m] [name_f]Stine[/name_f], [name_u]Merlyn[/name_u] [name_f]Stine[/name_f], Merlynhawk [name_f]Stine[/name_f] …? Or any combo therein …

BTW, I write sci-fi/fantasy YA.

@merlynhawk, thanks for the advice! I personally like CH [name_f]Stine[/name_f]—it resonates with me as very fantasy. [name_f]Chrys[/name_f] [name_m]Hawk[/name_m] [name_f]Stine[/name_f], while a lovely name, doesn’t exactly fit with me as an author name…I think it might be because it’s a bit hard to say (maybe that’s just me). [name_u]Merlyn[/name_u] [name_f]Stine[/name_f] is nice, but [name_u]Merlyn[/name_u] strikes me as an old-fashioned name (like [name_f]Marilyn[/name_f], I guess), so maybe not the best for a sci-fi fantasy author. I would also veto Merlynhawk [name_f]Stine[/name_f]… Merlynhawk seems very “invented” to me and not very credible.

Q: Best and worst titles you’ve heard of?

Hmm, best and worst titles I have heard of…? To me, the worst titles are the ones that are very vague for a reader. Currently, there are two books on my shelf titled [name_u]Forever[/name_u]. I honestly don’t know who they’re by or if they are a part of a series. [name_u]Forever[/name_u] is not a memorable title. However, sometimes, SOMETIMES, writers can pull off a vague/not memorable title, especially with a creative story. I will forever keep [name_u]Legend[/name_u] by [name_f]Marie[/name_f] [name_f]Lu[/name_f] and The Martian by [name_u]Andy[/name_u] Weir close to my heart… Honestly, though, its up to the reader to decide if a title will be memorable. The Hunger Games, anyone? Now, the best title I have heard of, at least at this moment in time, is Under the Never [name_u]Sky[/name_u] by [name_f]Veronica[/name_f] [name_m]Rossi[/name_m] or The City of [name_u]Ember[/name_u] by [name_f]Jeanne[/name_f] DuPrau. Those books are really good, too!
I hope that helps!
Question: Speaking of bad book titles… I’m writing a science fiction book at the moment that I’m currently calling [name_m]New[/name_m] [name_f]Earth[/name_f]. So, I’m wondering, should the main character’s name be [name_m]Hugh[/name_m], [name_m]Hew[/name_m], Hue, or Yew? Would Acre also work…? The other characters’ names are [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] and Evera. Also, any nickname suggestions for those names ([name_m]Hugh[/name_m], [name_m]Hew[/name_m], Hue, or Yew) would be super helpful. Thanks!

(Sorry, this response is a little all over the place!)

My favorite is [name_m]Hugh[/name_m]! Acre’s not my favorite, I think of the Hundred Acre [name_m]Wood[/name_m].

I’d imagine [name_m]Hugh[/name_m] to be a kind of name that is often misheard, since it’s pretty ambiguous in sound. So maybe another character could poke fun at this, and use similar sounding words as nicknames? You, Roo, Moo, Dew, etc. Or maybe [name_m]Hugo[/name_m], or [name_m]Howie[/name_m], or [name_m]Huey[/name_m]/[name_m]Hughie[/name_m]? And there’s [name_m]Huey[/name_m], [name_m]Dewey[/name_m], and [name_m]Louie[/name_m], [name_m]Donald[/name_m] Duck’s nephews.

I believe [name_m]Ivo[/name_m], [name_m]Ives[/name_m], and [name_m]Yves[/name_m] mean yew tree.

~

Continuing off of @jesusbeliever’s response, how do you approach choosing titles for your stories?

Great question! I definitely am the type of writer that waits till the last moment to name a story. I have running titles that relate to the story, but they’re definitely not set in stone or even what I would call it. I think that the title develops as the story develops and that labeling a story (in my opinion) in the beginning is a bad idea unless you’re willing to change it. Titles often form naturally after the story is written, I think a lot of people start stressing in the middle of their story if they don’t have a title when they shouldn’t worry about it.

Where do you find critiques for your stories? I have some that I want help/constructive criticism on but have no idea where to go – especially without it (possibly) being stolen (not that it’s good enough, but you never know.)

I’m not sure of anywhere on the internet to get feedback on writing, especially with the worry of your work being stolen. I think the best thing to do would be to ask friends or even join a writing group.

I have a story I’m writing where the main character’s name is [name_f]Blythe[/name_f], her best friend’s name is [name_f]Alia[/name_f] (nickname [name_f]Alie[/name_f]/[name_u]Allie[/name_u]), and there is another friend of [name_f]Blythe[/name_f]’s, who I originally named [name_f]Faye[/name_f]. Other names I have considered are [name_u]Finn[/name_u]/[name_u]Finley[/name_u], [name_u]Dana[/name_u], Skye, and [name_u]Bailey[/name_u]. I want to give the character a slightly annoying and generic name to fit the character, but don’t want it to be too generic.
Any ideas for names for her or any thoughts on the names I picked?
Also, should I spell Alia’s nickname Allie or Alie?
Thanks!!

I really love the names you have chosen for your characters, even [name_f]Faye[/name_f]! If you are looking for a more generic name for [name_f]Faye[/name_f], I would consider something similar to [name_u]Finley[/name_u] or [name_u]Finn[/name_u] rather than [name_u]Skye[/name_u] or [name_u]Dana[/name_u], although I like [name_u]Dana[/name_u] a lot, too. I think [name_u]Bailey[/name_u] would also be a great choose, unless of course you are going to confuse her with [name_f]Blythe[/name_f]… Here are some other names that might work:
[name_f]Ella[/name_f] (also means fairy)
[name_f]Emma[/name_f]
[name_f]Flora[/name_f] (something simple like a flower name could work, too)
[name_f]Fay[/name_f] (instead of [name_f]Faye[/name_f])
[name_f]Freya[/name_f]
[name_f]Nell[/name_f] or [name_f]Nellie[/name_f]
[name_f]Jen[/name_f] or [name_f]Jenn[/name_f]
[name_u]Flynn[/name_u]
[name_u]Delaney[/name_u]
[name_u]Hadley[/name_u], [name_m]Haden[/name_m], [name_u]Hunter[/name_u], [name_f]Hayley[/name_f], [name_u]Harper[/name_u], [name_u]Harley[/name_u], [name_f]Harlow[/name_f] (OK, these names are kind of a stretch, but they are very similar to [name_u]Finley[/name_u] and may work for your story)
As for [name_f]Alia[/name_f]'s nickname… Because she only has one l in her name, I’d be more inclined to write her nickname with one l, too. So, [name_f]Alie[/name_f]. Plus, [name_f]Alie[/name_f] is only four letters long, like the name [name_f]Alia[/name_f].
I hope that helps!
And I don’t have a question. You can answer the previous poster’s question.

@auroracallista joining a group is very helpful! I’ve always enjoyed the local meetups of NaNoWriMO, but if you’re not signed up with that, maybe a college near you has a writing group? Or the library?

my question: I want to replace the lastname Kopernikus. It’s not an important character, but with the mains being called [name_u]Halley[/name_u] and a side called Cassini, it’s getting a little too space-y altogether. But I don’t really know what to look for in a replacement.

@wandarine, that’s a great question! Personally, I would combine the elements from Kopernikus that you love the best to get a shorter name. For example, Koper could work. So could Konikus or Pernik. Honestly, though, I really like Kopernikus, and I think it could work well with your characters.
I hope that helps!

My question is, do you think the name [name_m]Ben[/name_m] could be written as Byn? I’m writing a science fiction story and want a simple name that pairs well with [name_m]Wilder[/name_m] or [name_m]Fisher[/name_m]. I love [name_m]Ben[/name_m], but I feel like it’s a little too average. Still, I feel like Byn is a little too strange. I wanted suggestions from other writers before I jumped ship on [name_m]Ben[/name_m]/Byn… XD
Any suggestions for other names that are simple and pair well with either [name_m]Wilder[/name_m] or [name_m]Fisher[/name_m], and may have a sci fi feel like Byn?

@jesusbeliever I can’t help but read Byn as “bin”. Not the best thing to be named after. Maybe [name_m]Benn[/name_m] could work?
Other simple but not common names could be [name_m]Von[/name_m]/[name_m]Vaughn[/name_m], [name_m]Ross[/name_m], [name_m]Pierce[/name_m], [name_m]Clyde[/name_m]/[name_u]Claude[/name_u], [name_m]Hart[/name_m], [name_u]Red[/name_u] or [name_m]Lew[/name_m].

no question, answer above

ps: I settled for [name_u]Penrose[/name_u] instead of Kopernikus. He was a mathematician who has geometrical patterns named after him, so it’s still a STEM nerd name, but the connection isn’t obvious.

[i]I can kinda see Byn pronounced as “ben”, though it’s a bit of a stretch, and my first thought was that Byn is pronounced as “bin”.

Name Suggestions: [name_m]Thompson[/name_m] / [name_m]Thomason[/name_m], [name_m]Fletcher[/name_m], [name_u]Hunter[/name_u], [name_m]Thatcher[/name_m], [name_u]Parker[/name_u], [name_u]Lyle[/name_u], [name_m]Pierce[/name_m], [name_u]Campbell[/name_u], [name_u]Van[/name_u], [name_u]Carter[/name_u], [name_m]Tanner[/name_m], [name_u]Flynn[/name_u], [name_u]Hudson[/name_u], [name_m]Jett[/name_m], [name_m]Archer[/name_m], & [name_m]Holden[/name_m][/i]

Which full name Combo flows better together: [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_u]Blakely[/name_u] or [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_m]Thomason[/name_m]? And if neither, any suggestions for surnames with a similar feeling / vibe? The story is set in modern-day times, in the U.S. (more specifically, [name_u]North[/name_u] [name_f]Carolina[/name_f]).