Wylie for a Girl?

I suggested [name_u]Wylie[/name_u] before for a boy and my husband said no. He mentioned it for a girl the other day and I kind of really like it.

I’m worried about what people will think, though. I’ve only ever heard it as a boy name. What do you think?

Also, [name_u]Wylie[/name_u] or [name_m]Wiley[/name_m]?

I’ve seen [name_m]Wyatt[/name_m] on a girl and there’s the more popular [name_f]Kylie[/name_f] and [name_u]Riley[/name_u] bring used so I think it could be.it reminds me a bit of [name_f]Twyla[/name_f] and Eisley too

[name_u]Wylie[/name_u] looks more feminine to me.

[name_u]Wylie[/name_u] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]/[name_u]Wylie[/name_u]-[name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_u]Wylie[/name_u]-[name_f]May[/name_f]/[name_u]Wylie[/name_u] [name_f]May[/name_f] or [name_u]Wylie[/name_u] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] as sort of double names would make it more obviously feminine but it’s up to you

I think [name_u]Wylie[/name_u] works really well on a girl (with that spelling)

This is surprisingly lovely! Yes, yes, yes.

I prefer the “[name_u]Wylie[/name_u]” spelling.

Really weird. I came on here to look up threads on [name_u]Wylie[/name_u] for a girl and you just posted this and its one of the first threads I see. Crazy

We are naming our girl, due in [name_f]May[/name_f], [name_u]Wylie[/name_u]. There has been a decent amount of backlash. But also multiple people really have fallen in love with it.

I posted asking for middle name help on Babycenter baby name group and got over 200 comments of people absolutely HATING it. They also said to spell it [name_m]Wiley[/name_m] if I must name her that because “made up spellings are stupid”. But [name_u]Wylie[/name_u] is a legitimate spelling and I feel it relates the name more to the [name_u]River[/name_u] Wylyle and takes it a bit further from the word Wily that has a fairly negative connotation (which doesn’t bother me)…

But I have done my “research” and feel comfortable giving her the name regardless of what a bunch of internet people say.

I have messaged a bunch of girl [name_u]Wylie[/name_u]/[name_m]Wiley[/name_m]/Wylee’s on Instagram to see what they think of their name. I know, super creepy. But I really wanted to be thorough. LOL

Everyone that replied said they [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] their name. One said she was “indifferent” growing up because she had never heard it before. But now that she is in her 20s she absolutely loves it. One said she “loves it. now” as she had a lot of teachers and baristas call out “willy” when she was younger. But now that shes older she owns it.

One said that she’s obsessed with her name. It gives her a sense of confidence and ownership.

Many of them said they get the "wile .e coyote reference a decent amount of the time but it is ALWAYS from an older person. And they are being friendly and trying to be funny. It did not bother most of the girls I messaged.

One woman I messaged had a 6 year old [name_u]Wylie[/name_u]. She said she has zero regrets. And her daughter loves being the only [name_u]Wylie[/name_u] she knows. She said she does have to correct people from [name_u]Riley[/name_u] but it has taught her daughter to stand up for herself and speak up when people are wrong.

Sorry this is so long, just figured you’d want to have all of the info that I have acquired.

1 Like

I do prefer it on a boy, but it’s usable on a girl. I wouldn’t mind being called [name_u]Wylie[/name_u] as a girl.
I’d go for the [name_u]Wylie[/name_u] spelling, the other one’s too close to [name_u]Riley[/name_u] and it’d end up in her name getting mixed up with [name_u]Riley[/name_u] even more often.

I can’t edit my comment. But just wanted to clarify.

The thread on BabyCenter is 200+ comments long. But many of the comments are me replying and people trying to help with middle name suggestions. It wasn’t 200 individual people hating it. Definitely should have worded that differently. There were a few people in that thread that liked it.

Also BabyCenter Name Group people are ruthless. They do not hold back. And they seem to dislike any “trendy” sounding name and ANY boy names on girls. So keep that in mind.

But if you are someone who is super concerned about what people will think, this might not be the name for you. I’d try throwing the name out to a few loved ones and people that you value their opinion and see how the name is received. My family LOVES the name. That’s what is important to me, personally.

I’m not really a fan of the name in general, and I’m not a fan of the male names on girls trend, either…but it’s not the worst. That being said, I agree with pp in that a lot of people likely won’t like it so if that will bother you I would pick something else.

It’s sweet, it’s quirky, and I think it could work really well for a girl. There’s nothing all too ‘outrageous’ about the name, so I think if you and your husband really like it, then by all means, go for it!

I prefer [name_u]Wylie[/name_u], to [name_m]Wiley[/name_m] - [name_m]Wiley[/name_m] does feel a lot like someone with a speech impediment saying [name_u]Riley[/name_u]. I also think you’d less often be called ‘[name_m]Willy[/name_m]’ with the [name_u]Wylie[/name_u] spelling, than you may if it were spelled [name_m]Wiley[/name_m].

I have only met 1 [name_u]Wylie[/name_u] and she was a girl!

Personally, I don’t like the name on either gender. It makes me think of Wile E. Coyote, and of the character trait of being wily, which I do not see as a positive thing.

If I had to guess a gender, I would see [name_u]Wylie[/name_u] as being a girl due to it’s similarity to [name_f]Kylie[/name_f].

[name_u]Wylie[/name_u] is sweet on a girl! I do worry it sounds a little like someone saying [name_u]Riley[/name_u] but can’t pronounce the R

To me, it does seem a bit too cartoon character-esque still, thanks to Wile E. Coyote, but I feel like that association is less common with younger generations (I was born in the mid 90s and still watched Looney Tunes for a while). I would say it’s just fine for a girl, imo.

I think [name_u]Wylie[/name_u] is definitely an interestingly cool name for a girl! I also like [name_f]Winnie[/name_f]!

Not a fan at all…even for a boy!

I’m neutral on [name_u]Wylie[/name_u]. It’s not my personal style but I think it’s an acceptable name.

My first thought was the (male) rapper named [name_m]Wiley[/name_m], but maybe he is more of a British association.

I’ve always loved [name_m]Wiley[/name_m] for a boy, never thought about it for a girl but I definitely think it’s cute and it works, [name_u]Riley[/name_u] and [name_f]Kylie[/name_f] are fairly popular girl names. I do slightly prefer [name_u]Wylie[/name_u] spelling for a girl, I think it looks a little more feminine and might help differentiate from a boy’s name. Unless you like the unisex factor, in which case [name_m]Wiley[/name_m] spelling is still perfectly great.
I really like above suggestion of [name_m]Wiley[/name_m] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] :two_hearts: