"X" is the new "Y"

There’s a small handful of names that I love that I’m nervous about using because they feel very similar to the most popular girls names of the last few years. Some examples are:

The new [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]… [name_f]Olympia[/name_f]
The new [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f]/[name_f]Isabella[/name_f]… [name_f]Adeline[/name_f]/[name_f]Adelina[/name_f]
The new [name_f]Sophie[/name_f]/[name_f]Sophia[/name_f]… [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]/[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]

Are there any up and coming names you think are on course to replace a popular alternative?

I’d say if anything can really be considered the new anything else, then [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] is more likely to be the new [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]. It’s got some of the same sounds as [name_f]Ava[/name_f], plus more pop culture/literary cred than [name_f]Olympia[/name_f] and I think the “limp” sound in [name_f]Olympia[/name_f] holds a lot of people back. [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] is also a possibility since it shares sounds with [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], but I can’t see any of the three edging out [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] for at least another 5-10 years or so.

I personally can’t see [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] and [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] catching on in the near future since they’ve still got that old lady image (if you asked me to guess the next [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] based on sound, I’d probably go with [name_f]Josephine[/name_f].) [name_f]Adeline[/name_f]/[name_f]Adelina[/name_f] though…that seems very possible. They’ve both been rising really fast.

I think the next mega popular name is gonna be something from the 300s or 400s that gets used in a really popular franchise. Like, imagine if [name_f]Katniss[/name_f] had been named, say, [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] or [name_u]Sage[/name_u], how meteorically those would have risen.

Interesting. I think there will always be a trend towards totally weird new names/ word names/ fantasy world names ([name_f]Andromeda[/name_f], [name_f]Hera[/name_f], [name_f]Agrippina[/name_f], Cydonia, [name_u]Ever[/name_u] etc) or staid classics (i.e. [name_f]Jane[/name_f], [name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_f]Greta[/name_f] etc). However, I also think there’ll be a Patriot/ ‘southern belle’ related name resurgence. :slight_smile: