YA Book Recommendations

I’ve lately been in a bit of a reading slump and am looking for a good book/book series to get me out of it. I’m looking for YA fiction books preferably fantasy but other genres are ok too. Some of my favorite books are Six of Crows by [name_u]Leigh[/name_u] Bardugo, Renegades by [name_f]Marissa[/name_f] [name_m]Meyer[/name_m], [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] by J.K Rowling, and [name_u]Fable[/name_u] by [name_f]Adrienne[/name_f] [name_m]Young[/name_m]. Thank you!

Daughter of [name_m]Smoke[/name_m] and Bone series by [name_f]Laini[/name_f] [name_u]Taylor[/name_u]

This Savage Song series by V E Schwab

Bartimaeus trilogy by [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m] Stroud

Abhorsen series by [name_m]Garth[/name_m] [name_f]Nix[/name_f]

[name_u]Red[/name_u] Rising series by [name_m]Pierce[/name_m] [name_m]Brown[/name_m]

1 Like

Tuesdays at the Castle and it’s other books are some of my favorites. I forgot who wrote them

1 Like

percy jackson! it has a very similar vibe to harry potter, but it’s a thousand times better. (imo)

3 Likes

[name_f]Sarah[/name_f] j [name_m]Maas[/name_m] writes really well. If you haven’t already definitely check out her books

2 Likes

yes I have already read [name_u]Percy[/name_u] [name_u]Jackson[/name_u] and I love it!

3 Likes

@whatchamacallit Thanks for the suggestions I will definitely check them out!
@Cate_Juhl Thank you! It sounds interesting, I’ll look into them
@lolalollylegs I’ve heard of her but haven’t read any of her books. Thanks for the suggestion!

2 Likes

if you haven’t read the hunger games i highly recommend!!

you may also like

• children of blood and bone by tomi adeyemi
  • the darkest minds by alexandra bracken
  • scythe by neal schusterman
  • the book thief by markus zusak
  • after the fire by will hill

I have read the hunger games and loved it! Thanks for the other suggestions

2 Likes

Miss peregrines home for peculiar children it has a similar vibe to percy jackson. the children all have different Peculiarities meaning some control fire fly ect. It’s set in different time zones depending on the location.

A series of unfortunate events. Follows three siblings sunny violet and klaus whose home mysteriously burnt down leaving them orphaned. They were placed with a man who only wanted them for their fortune , [name_m]Olaf[/name_m] . he treated them poorly and they were removed from his care. each book they have a different [name_m]Guardian[/name_m] and [name_m]Olaf[/name_m] has a new disguise fooling the adults and threatening the children’s lives.

The chronicles of [name_f]Narnia[/name_f]. [name_u]Four[/name_u] siblings - [name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_m]Peter[/name_m] [name_m]Edmond[/name_m] and [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] go on adventures in another dimension during ww2 at their foster family’s home in the country side.

1 Like

@Laurenabbey Thank you for the suggestions! I’ve read the first book of [name_f]Narnia[/name_f], I really should read the rest of the series

1 Like

If you like books like [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m], you’d probably also like His Dark Materials by [name_m]Philip[/name_m] Pullman - similar fantasy vibes.

There’s also the Divergent if you’re looking for something like the Hunger Games. Trying to rememvber some YA books I enjoyed:

All The [name_u]Bright[/name_u] Places - [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] [name_m]Niven[/name_m]
[name_u]Anne[/name_u] of [name_u]Green[/name_u] Gables - [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Maud[/name_f] [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u]
[name_f]My[/name_f] Sister’s Keeper - [name_u]Jodi[/name_u] Picoult
[name_m]Simon[/name_m] vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda - [name_f]Becky[/name_f] Albertalli
Stargirl - [name_u]Jerry[/name_u] Spinelli
The Fault In Our Stars - [name_u]John[/name_u] [name_u]Green[/name_u]
The Perks Of Being A Wallflower - [name_m]Stephen[/name_m] Chbosky
To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before - [name_f]Jenny[/name_f] [name_m]Han[/name_m]
Looking For [name_f]Alaska[/name_f] - [name_u]John[/name_u] [name_u]Green[/name_u]

1 Like

@Adelina_Sophia Ooh thanks for the suggestions I haven’t read any of these!

Deltora [name_u]Quest[/name_u] by [name_f]Emily[/name_f] Rodda. It’s a fantasy series and I actually remember seeing a comment by JK Rowling complementing this series too

Eragon (and rest of Inheritance Cycle) by [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] Paolini
Ender’s Game by [name_m]Orson[/name_m] [name_u]Scott[/name_u] [name_m]Card[/name_m]
Inkheart by [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] Funke
The Thief [name_m]Lord[/name_m] by [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] Funke
The Shadowhunter Chronicles by [name_f]Cassandra[/name_f] [name_u]Clare[/name_u]
[name_u]Journey[/name_u] to the Center of the [name_f]Earth[/name_f] by [name_u]Jules[/name_u] [name_u]Verne[/name_u]

I also thought of the following that others already mentioned:
[name_u]Percy[/name_u] jackson
Divergent
His Dark Materials/The [name_u]Golden[/name_u] Compass

1 Like

Oh, The [name_f]Princess[/name_f] and the Goblin by [name_u]George[/name_u] MacDonald is really good

1 Like

The Lunar Chronicles series is the BEST.

2 Likes

@Miss_Mayhem I’ve already read Lunar Chronicles and yes it is sooo good! Have you read the Renegades trilogy by the same author of Lunar Chronicles? It is also very good and in my opinion it is even better

seconding !!! especially ender’s game !! the rest of the ender quartet, as well as the shadow quartet (also by card) are also very good !

and ofc i will throw out brandon sanderson’s mistborn as an all-around amazing read :grin: as well as legion, also written by sanderson !

2 Likes