Yael and Ariel

[name]Hi[/name] Berries! :slight_smile:

I’ve been thinking about the names [name]Yael[/name] and [name]Ariel[/name] lately. [name]Do[/name] you like them? [name]How[/name] would you pronounce them? [name]Do[/name] you think they’re usable in real-life? Thanks!

[name]Love[/name] [name]Yael[/name]. [name]Ariel[/name] sounds a little dated to me. I only think of the [name]Little[/name] Mermaid movie. I think [name]Yael[/name] is pronounced Ya-el (two syllables). Might wanna double check that :slight_smile:

Best-
[name]Tara[/name]

I really like [name]Yael[/name] and I pronounce it yay-[name]EL[/name], like variation [name]Jael[/name] from Americas Next top
Model. I also think [name]Yael[/name]'s biblical story is pretty cool.
[name]Ariel[/name] is harder to like because it is a Disney princess name.

I say it ‘yay-el’. I think its pretty, but might get said as ‘[name]Yale[/name]’ a lot, which is a shame.

As far as [name]Ariel[/name], I think the spelling [name]Arielle[/name] helps take away from the [name]Little[/name] Mermaid a little. And I really like [name]Ariella[/name] too.

I would spell [name]Yael[/name] [name]Jael[/name] (pronounced the same yay-el)

I went to middle school with an Israeli girl named [name]Yael[/name]. She pronounced it yah-el, with a bit of a stop between the two syllables. I don’t know if that’s correct or not, definitely check on it. Here’s an online pronunciation guide:

I love [name]Ariel[/name]–it’s a guilty pleasure. If [name]Aurora[/name] doesn’t scream “Sleeping Beauty,” why can’t [name]Ariel[/name] shed “The [name]Little[/name] Mermaid” connection? I don’t know how it should be pronounced, but I always assume like the Disney princess.

Yes, I can confirm that the pronunciation of [name]Yael[/name] is said yah-el. :slight_smile: It’s my cousin’s name. I was just curious to see how others would say it.

I agree, katybug! To me, [name]Aurora[/name] still does scream Sleeping Beauty to me…but if that one’s getting popular, I don’t see why [name]Ariel[/name] can’t. Actually, I know several Ariels in my community, being it that I’m Jewish. It works well on a modern teenage girl. :smiley: I always have said [name]Ariel[/name] as ahr-ee-EHL, but I think that’s just because it’s the Hebrew pronunciation. I think in the [name]Little[/name] Mermaid movie, it is said [name]AIR[/name]-ee-uhl.

[name]Ariel[/name] is so lovely pronounced ahr-ee-EHL! Especially if that pronunciation is familiar in your community, I’d go for it. Best of luck!

[name]Jael[/name]/[name]Yael[/name] is yah-el but [name]Ariel[/name] is a man’s name. [name]Arielle[/name]/[name]Ariella[/name] is the Hebrew feminine form. I’m not sure why Disney called [name]Ariel[/name] the mermaid that – [name]Ariel[/name] the sprite in The [name]Tempest[/name] was definitely male – and I’m not sure how you attach lion of G-d to a female…I always think [name]Ariel[/name] [name]Sharon[/name] before I think [name]Little[/name] Mermaid.

[name]Yael[/name] is yah-el. I think it’s a really lovely unexpected beauty and I would be pleased to see it.

[name]Ariel[/name] would just make me think you’re a huge Disney fan. Historically [name]Ariel[/name] is a male name. It’s still male in the rest of the world…in fact I met a man from [name]Argentina[/name] this month named this. Generally though I see it on Israeli men.