Yay or nay?

I’m passing time while I wait to take a pregnancy test and I was chatting about names with my BFF. She suggested [name_f]Greta[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] and over the last couple of days, the more I say it, the more I love it. [name_f]Rose[/name_f] has been my favorite girls name since I was 16 and I always go back to it. It just so happens that it is also the middle name of said best friend, and [name_f]Greta[/name_f] sounds so retro-old-Hollywood-glamour. It’s bright, feminine, fresh, but has a spicy snap of spunk, and I love that it means pearl, which is my favorite jewel.

what do you think? Is it pretty and feminine, or boring and blah?

I like [name_f]Rose[/name_f] but not [name_f]Greta[/name_f]. What about [name_f]Marianne[/name_f]? It has the same vintage feel but I find it prettier. [name_f]Marianne[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is beautiful.

[name_f]Marianne[/name_f] is not my style at all, and I don’t like the meaning (bitter is not the meaning I want for my child’s name). I like the snappy spunk of [name_f]Greta[/name_f] as well as the meaning. I appreciate the input, though.

I think that [name_f]Greta[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] makes for a lovely combo, and yes, definitely has a nice vintage glamour type thing going on. It is not at all ‘boring and blah’.

I really love that [name_f]Rose[/name_f] has so much meaning for you, but admittedly in general, I do find [name_f]Rose[/name_f] a little ‘filler’ (expected & overused) as a middle name, and think it works so much better as a first. [name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_f]Greta[/name_f] would be beautifully unexpected, still having that wonderful old Hollywood type feel - perhaps swapping it around is an option?

[name_f]Greta[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is lovely! It feels funky and sharp but also warm, sweet and retro! [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] is a nice meaning too

[name_f]Greta[/name_f] is one of my favourites, I think [name_f]Greta[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is lovely for you :slight_smile:

I think it’s lovely! [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] also comes to mind.

I agree with [name_f]Sunniva[/name_f], [name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_f]Greta[/name_f] is really beautiful and unexpected (considering [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is so often used as a middle name). I too find [name_f]Rose[/name_f] a bit of a ‘filler’ middle name. Why not use it as a first name considering you’ve always loved it? I like the name [name_f]Greta[/name_f] but I love [name_f]Rose[/name_f] and wish more people used it as a first name. In saying that, [name_f]Greta[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is a lovely name.

I love [name_f]Greta[/name_f]! It’s such a sweet name and very underused nowadays. [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is kind of boring as a middle name in my opinion, would you consider [name_f]Greta[/name_f] [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]?

[name_f]Greta[/name_f] is such a beautiful name! It’s one of my favourites. I do think it fits very well with [name_f]Rose[/name_f] but I must agree with an above mention about [name_f]Rose[/name_f] feeling very much ‘filler’. However it does have a special meaning to you, so I would suggest using it if you think [name_f]Greta[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is THE NAME.

I like [name_f]Greta[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]! I agree, [name_f]Greta[/name_f] is so spunky and fun, and [name_f]Rose[/name_f] so simple and pretty. I think [name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_f]Greta[/name_f] also works, but I prefer [name_f]Greta[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]. Yes, [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is a bit filler as a middle, but it’s got special meaning for you, and it’s pretty! I think [name_f]Greta[/name_f] is a lot more unexpected as a first - I would bet there are tons more girls with [name_f]Rose[/name_f] / [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] / [name_f]Rosa[/name_f] / [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] etc as a first name than girls named [name_f]Greta[/name_f]. I also like that with minimal rearranging, [name_f]Greta[/name_f] turns into Great. I think that’s sort of a nice attribute.

So I really like it!

[name_f]Greta[/name_f]'s never appealed to me, I’m not sure why, but the sounds don’t feel very complimentary or flattering for me. While [name_f]Greta[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] does make the name appeal a little more, I still can’t get myself on board with it. Maybe [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]?

[name_f]Greta[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is lovely. [name_f]Greta[/name_f] seems to be making come-back.

I love it!

[name_f]Greta[/name_f] is on top of my list too. Mostly for the same reasons that you said. I think that it’s one of those names that works well on any age as another plus.

[name_f]Greta[/name_f] doesnt sound boring to me, but it does sound f harsh and snappy. [name_m]Even[/name_m] though I’ve never met or heard of a [name_f]Greta[/name_f] in real life, my imagery is of a stuck-up elderly woman who threatens to hit kids with a wooden spoon for misbehaving.

[name_f]Rose[/name_f] is noce though. It’s quite overused in the middle, but would make a lovely first name

Totally love [name_f]Greta[/name_f], for all the reasons you’ve given. It’s glam, but also feisty, retro, and not too frilly.

It gives me similar vibes to names like [name_f]Frida[/name_f], [name_f]Margo[/name_f], [name_f]Petra[/name_f], [name_f]Daphne[/name_f], [name_f]Zelda[/name_f], [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f], [name_f]Astrid[/name_f], [name_f]Saskia[/name_f], [name_f]Cleo[/name_f], [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f], [name_f]Vita[/name_f], [name_f]Ramona[/name_f], [name_f]Inez[/name_f]…

I’m also a little bit over [name_f]Rose[/name_f] as a middle name at this point, but it flows well and has meaning to you, so thumbs up!

I think it’s a beautiful combination!

I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_f]Greta[/name_f] and I also love that [name_f]Rose[/name_f] has a special meaning for you. [name_f]Greta[/name_f] and [name_f]Rose[/name_f] sound beautiful together. I’d say go for it!

I’m not really looking for alternatives, just collecting data on how people see the name. I love the sound and meaning [name_f]Greta[/name_f], while Marguérite is not really my style.

For all of those suggesting rearranging the name to [name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_f]Greta[/name_f], I did consider that. However, it doesn’t flow as well to my ears, so even though I adore [name_f]Rose[/name_f], I think it flows more smoothly with [name_f]Greta[/name_f] in the first name position.

Your baby, your choice of names. [name_f]Greta[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is lovely and different.