Yeah! New forum!

[name]Glad[/name] you guys kept the picture, I love that picture!

Asking for reviews on these few:

[name]Edgar[/name]
[name]Remy[/name]
[name]Winifred[/name]
[name]Jemima[/name]

Reviews, assocations, general thoughts, anything welcome! Thanks!

[name]Edgar[/name] -When I was very young I knew a little boy named [name]Edgar[/name] who lived in Mexico. He was adorable. His name was pronounced Aythh-gahhhdhth(hiss).
[name]Remy[/name] -So French, and I love that! There’s something very cuddly about [name]Remy[/name].
[name]Winifred[/name] -The “fr” sound is fun to say. Would be a fun name to yell or say or whatever.
[name]Jemima[/name] -I love the way it has two “m’s”.
[name]Do[/name] you like for names to start with a vowel or a consonant better? I love for first names to start with consonants usually but I do have many exceptions.

Mostly consonants, [name]Susan[/name]. L, S & J are pretty good examples. On my lists now, M, W, Z, P, C, B, L & J. And one O, for [name]Ottilie[/name]. And that’s just the girls. On the guys side: 2 R’s, B, 2 C’s and one A, for [name]Alasdair[/name], who’s a real long shot. I have a few vowel starter favorites but nothing like the huge list of consonants. makes me an odd duck these days but I rather prefer to be the odd duck! :smiley:

I like it when someone’s name starts with a consonant because you get some extra time to think about what you’re going to say while you begin to say their name. Also it’s nice when their name has lots of syllables 'cause that gives you time, too. I notice that my relatives from Oklahoma and [name]Texas[/name] say long names very quickly and short names very slowly, adding extra syllables. Instead of [name]Bea[/name], they would say “Beh-EEE-eee”. My mom called my dad, “Keeeyuneth” instead of [name]Kenneth[/name]. My grandmother’s name was [name]Lillian[/name], but they pronounced it “[name]Lillyan[/name]”.

haha, susan, “it gives you time to think about what you’re going to say”.

yeah, new forum is right! I was just thinking that a forum like this should exist! and now it does, like magic!

ok, names:
[name]Edgar[/name]- the only [name]Edgar[/name] I ever knew was the “smartest” kid in my high school (really he wasn’t the smartest, just studied the most), and he thought he was so much better than everyone else… so since he’s the only one I’ve known, I can’t get the thought of him out of my head. I don’t know that I’d like [name]Edgar[/name] much anyway, not sure.

[name]Remy[/name]- I can’t decide how I feel about this one.

[name]Winifred[/name]- [name]LOVE[/name]. [name]Winnie[/name], [name]Freddy[/name], too cute. Perfect with [name]Josephine[/name], too.

[name]Jemima[/name]- again, love love love!

[name]Edgar[/name]- I love this name, it was also the surname of my favorite eighth grade teacher, so he might have a little something to do with why I like it so much! The only down side is the potential [name]Eddie[/name] or [name]Ed[/name] nn, and I’m not too crazy about either one of those. But nn aside, I think it’s a wonderful name.

[name]Remy[/name]- I like it, but I would love him even more if it was a nn for [name]Remus[/name].

[name]Winifred[/name]- I really like [name]Winifred[/name] and all her nn options.

[name]Jemima[/name]- I just can’t seem to get very excited about [name]Jemima[/name] :frowning: It looks really pretty though!

[name]Edgar[/name] - I find this to be an interesting name. As a student of Anglo-[name]Saxon[/name] history, it very much reminds me of reforms - the reforms of the coinage and monastic orders that occurred during the reigns of [name]Edgar[/name]. I also think of [name]Edgar[/name], claimant to the English throne after [name]Edward[/name] the Confessor (ignored in favour of [name]Harold[/name] II Godwinson and [name]William[/name] the Conqueror). From a non-historian point of view, it also reminds me of the sneaky butler in ‘The Aristocats’ (this association is possibly accentuated as the next name is [name]Remy[/name] - another Disney association!).

[name]Remy[/name] - I find [name]Remy[/name] to be a little insubstantial. It would make a good nickname for [name]Jeremy[/name], or Remigius (which is simply awesome).

[name]Winifred[/name] - I can’t warm to [name]Winifred[/name]. The ‘fred’ part is exceedingly masculine, as is the ‘[name]Win[/name]’ part ([name]Edwin[/name], Aelfwine, Godwin, Leofwine etc., though I do have quite a skewed view of ‘win’ names :D)

[name]Jemima[/name] - lovely, especially the meaning. As I am British, I can happily ignore any syrup references, and focus on Puddleducks instead.

Thanks Unoriginal! As a [name]Brit[/name], how would you view a Yankee [name]Jemima[/name]? Would you still be charmed? because I get quite a bit of flack from my elders on this one, but I think her days of hiding in shame because she used to be a derogatory idea/name are long past. I mean, long, long, long past. I had to look it up to see what the heck they were talking about and I’m 41!
[name]Just[/name] curious. :slight_smile:

If I hadn’t heard the syrup association trotted out every time someone mentions the name [name]Jemima[/name] on a name board, then I wouldn’t think anything different of an American [name]Jemima[/name] as I would a British [name]Jemima[/name] - I doubt any of my friends have the syrup connection. Personally though, if I met an American [name]Jemima[/name] I would think that she had brave parents but still like the name. (Does that make sense?)

I think “long past” might depend on your region, [name]Lola[/name]. Here in the Deep South I’d be very, very hesitant to use [name]Jemima[/name].

Thanks unoriginal, nice to see the sterotype doesn’t cross the pond !

Interesting, [name]Melissa[/name]. I’m a northeastern chick, Mid-Atlantic to New [name]England[/name]. While I dream of warm temps I doubt I’ll ever move that far south. Of course, the kids go everywhere. [name]Leo[/name]'s in [name]Hawaii[/name] right now, [name]Simon[/name]'s in Cambodia, I think. So it’s just me being a bit odd. What would you think if a 15 yearold [name]Jemima[/name] plopped down in your neighborhood, say? Which might be likely.

In my little city the name [name]Jemima[/name] would be so cool. It would also be very cool in Pasadena and Altadena which is north of Pasadena. It would also work in [name]Sierra[/name] [name]Madre[/name]-maybe. But in any other community around here, all people would think of would be syrup. You’d have to go over to the Westside to find people who would love [name]Jemima[/name]. But I think [name]Jemima[/name]'s time will come again in the bland suburbs. [name]Lola[/name], you are good at thinking of wonderful names on the edge of cool. I like that.

[name]Lola[/name], you know what’s weird? If a 15-year-old [name]Jemima[/name] showed up in my class from elsewhere in the world, I’d be fine with it. (She’d probably get a lot of crap from her classmates, though.) The idea of an infant named [name]Jemima[/name] just feels strange to me. I can’t even articulate why. I do like the name, though; it’s so very crisp and British.

[name]Edgar[/name]: respectable and studious”adorable on a little guy, and equally attractive as an adult

[name]Remy[/name]: completely dashing (I really love this name, though I had an Italian instructor in college named [name]Remy[/name] so I’m sure that has something to do with it!)

[name]Winifred[/name]: [name]Winifred[/name] seems like one of those perfect names as far as fitting in/standing out. And so many wonderful options for nicknames.

[name]Jemima[/name]: I love saying this name, though I’m not sure I would use it for my own daughter. I generally don’t gravitate to “J” names.

Thanks [name]Susan[/name]. I’ve loved [name]Jemima[/name] for a long time and have waffled over using it for a good number of years. I do think her time is coming, I cannot be the only person thinking like this… the odds of that are rather staggering! :slight_smile:

[name]Melissa[/name], thanks for that. I do thin it’s at the stage now where it might be weird in certian places. If I’m staying here in New [name]England[/name], I think I’ll be okay with [name]Jemima[/name]. [name]Boston[/name]'s full of oddball names, [name]Jemima[/name]'d fit right in, here.

Olivegreen, thanks! [name]Remy[/name]'s so dashing, he enchants me! [name]Edgar[/name]'s handsome and surrounded by Brasilians as I am in this town, I think he’d fit right in! Funny, I love the look of [name]Jemima[/name] as well as her sound. Completely enchanted, I am. [name]Winifred[/name]'s a family name for me, she’s an aunt. Living, so I may not be able to use it but she’s in AZ and I’m way over here in MA, I don’t think the crossover would be too bad. The auntie goes by [name]Winnie[/name], occasionally. So would mine.