Yikes, my sweet 2 month old is nameless!

When I found out I was pregnant again I didn”t find out the gender but names weren”t a problem, I had about ten super lovely girls names” but only one boy”s name, which ”to me- was perfect ” [name]Dashiell[/name]”. ( I always loved the Maltese [name]Falcon[/name] growing up! ) I always thought the name was utterly perfect, handsome, unique ” but unpretentious. But (I”m sure everyone says this) I thought I was the only one using it. Well, obviously not so, I found out [name]Cate[/name] Blanchett named her son ”Dashell” in 2009, but I was still ok using it as it didn”t register on any top name lists anywhere. Then (very mixed blessing.) I found nameberry that claims it”s an up n” comer, in terms of popularity, which freaks me out, utterly. My question is: is this really true, seriously, is ” [name]Dashiell[/name]” about to hit the big time?? Or is it a miniscule trend in a tiny borough in New [name]York[/name] State? I live in Vancouver, B.C. and have never encountered a [name]Dashiell[/name]. I have been halted in my tracks, I am so depressed, and my baby has no name! I have an unnatural fear of trendy names. To me, even having the most popular name would be less terrifying than having the trendiest”

I have never even seen the Incredibles, and had never heard what [name]Cate[/name] blanchett named her babe, but those two events are old now, wouldn”t have [name]Dashiell[/name] had it”s boom day by now?? ( To be honest, thanks to nameberry, I deeply suspect that it will be popular.)

I like unique, but short n” sweet, almost plain. My other pics are Zaib, [name]Calhoun[/name], [name]Arlen[/name], [name]Tala[/name], [name]Tove[/name] and Zevin. I think the nickname ” [name]Arlie[/name] ” might be sweetly perfect, and I now look at strangers of all ages - babes, boys, young men, granddaddies - whom I find even faintly charismatic to see if it - [name]Arlen[/name] - would live up to them, and I find that it does” Does this mean I like it? My misgiving with [name]Arlen[/name] (we might spell it ” [name]Arlan[/name] ”) is that it might sound feminine, but when I hold it up to these strangers, it doesn”t feel that way at all. My husband and brother love it - the only one my hubby seems to like… I have lost all confidence, we call him ”little guy” and other terms of endearment, including ” Arlybear. Does that mean that should be the one? I”m so lost, aghhhhh. What kind of nutbar is scared to name their own child?

I like [name]Arlen[/name]. It’s definitely masculine to me. And it sounds like you’ve already named him if you’re calling him Arlybear!

Thanks kweller for the objective opinion! Hopefully I’ll get to it!!

[name]Arlen[/name], for sure!! It’s gorgeous!

oooh, so nice to hear! :smiley: I am already feeling less anxious about it!

If you like [name]Dashiell[/name], go for it! It’s a great name and has a wonderful nickname of [name]Dash[/name]. If you haven’t heard it in Vancouver, then I wouldn’t worry about popularity or trendiness. [name]Arlen[/name] is ok but it sounds too much like the girls name [name]Arlene[/name] to me. I prefer [name]Harlan[/name] or [name]Arlo[/name]. We have to get the little guy named so here are some other suggestions:

[name]Chapin[/name]
[name]Auden[/name]
[name]Darien[/name]
[name]Finch[/name]
[name]Cullen[/name]
[name]Eames[/name]
[name]Lowry[/name]
[name]Hayes[/name]
[name]Ogden[/name]
Lorimer
[name]Romney[/name]
[name]Abel[/name]
[name]Jove[/name]
[name]Tate[/name]
[name]Roman[/name]
[name]Cutler[/name]
[name]Graydon[/name]
[name]Delaney[/name]
[name]Granger[/name]
[name]Darwin[/name]
[name]Gable[/name]
[name]Beckett[/name]
[name]Abbott[/name]
[name]Saxon[/name]
[name]Conrad[/name]
[name]Godfrey[/name]
[name]August[/name]
[name]Chadwick[/name]
[name]Schuyler[/name]
[name]Darcy[/name]
[name]Edison[/name]
[name]Spencer[/name]
[name]Sloane[/name]
[name]Emerson[/name]
[name]Tennyson[/name]
[name]Laird[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name]
[name]Cooper[/name]
[name]Ned[/name]
[name]Thane[/name]
[name]Locke[/name]
[name]Leith[/name]
[name]Gage[/name]
[name]Boone[/name]
[name]Atlas[/name]
[name]Raleigh[/name]
[name]Ellery[/name]
[name]Leighton[/name]
[name]Marlowe[/name]
[name]Kinsey[/name]
[name]Egan[/name]
[name]Guthrie[/name]
[name]Rafferty[/name]
[name]Thor[/name]
[name]Farrell[/name]
[name]Tarquin[/name]
[name]Mingus[/name]
[name]Lowell[/name]
[name]Brice[/name]
[name]Rowan[/name]
[name]Quincey[/name]
[name]Porter[/name]
[name]Nelson[/name]
[name]Hudson[/name]
[name]Holden[/name]
[name]Grayson[/name]
[name]Easton[/name]

If [name]Dashiell[/name] is what you love, I say go for it. I live in the southeastern US and have yet to encounter a [name]Dash[/name] or [name]Dashiell[/name]. I think it’s only trendy in [name]California[/name] and New [name]York[/name]; you should be fine in [name]Canada[/name]. As for [name]Arlen[/name], I definitely think it’s masculine.

My son is 5 months old and his name is [name]Dash[/name]. (Not [name]Dashiell[/name], just plain [name]Dash[/name].) My husband and I were just like you. It was the only name we liked, we got on nameberry, and were extremely disappointed to find that it was growing in popularity. We tried to think of other names, but couldn’t. When he was born, we figured we’d go with what we like. Plus, we live in central Ohio, in a county with only 50,000 people in it. Surely we would be the first and hopefully only folks to come up with that name in such a small rural area.
At the first doctor’s appointment with my son, my doctor pleasantly informed me that a baby had been born at the town hospital only the month before, named [name]DASH[/name]! Since then I’ve heard of even more babies named [name]Dash[/name] or [name]Dashiell[/name] around here. My heart sank, but really, oh well.
The thing is, though we were bummed out at first, we got over it. I wish we had thought of a more unique name, but it’s still a cool good name, and we went with what we liked. If you like [name]Dashiell[/name], then just do it! [name]Do[/name] what makes you happy.
But, I just thought you should know that even in the middle of no where I have already heard of a few other Dashes.

I’m seeing Dashiel everywhere lately, esp. on short lists and other postings on here. I, too, am totally phobic of trendy names and I totally get the whole popular vs. trendy argument (like [name]Jacob[/name] vs. [name]Jayden[/name]). I practically drove myself crazy worrying about it when naming my daughter.
That said I love [name]Arlen[/name]. I think I like [name]Arlo[/name] better personally but I think both are great. If you and DH both like it, I say go for it. It’s truly a great name with a super cute baby nn already in motion.

Have you decided yet? I like both [name]Dashiell[/name] and [name]Arlen[/name], and I haven’t met any baby [name]Dash[/name] or [name]Arly[/name] yet. If you are still having second thoughts, another name that reminds me of those is [name]Orlando[/name] nn [name]Orly[/name]. Good luck!

Thanks for all the great feedback, this is just what I needed. I think I’m moving away from [name]Dashiell[/name] as much as I love it - due to my freakish paranoic tendencies! ( Plus, my first is [name]Finn[/name], so I got a bit of a whammy on that one…! ) Esteelux, it is gorgeous - [name]Dash[/name]- good for you for picking what you love. I was just saying to a friend of mine, my husband has just loved the one, [name]Arlen[/name]… ( or [name]Arlan[/name] ) He doesn’t give any particularly eloquent reasons for disliking others, either…no; " a guy called such and such beat me 'round the head in second grade" or " reminds me of a demented clerk…" or anything like that. When he rejects them, he just says (re. do you like? ) " not so much…" I guess that’s why I had to make sure I loved [name]Arlen[/name] and wasn’t picking it because it was the only one that met with approval. Katilea, I like [name]Arlo[/name], too… but we’ve noticed it around a bit, plus we have a friend called [name]Arlo[/name] [name]Eagle[/name], how great it that?