You meet a baby named Ophelia...

See the results of this poll: What is your first thought (see below)

Respondents: 23 (This poll is closed)

• That’s a beautiful name!: 11 (48%)
  • Cool/interesting name choice.: 10 (43%)
  • What is WRONG with her parents!?: 1 (4%)
  • That’s an ugly name!: 1 (4%)

I actually did meet a baby named [name]Ophelia[/name]! Well, I didn’t exactly meet her; I overheard her name being called… I love the name [name]Ophelia[/name], but I do think it’s a risky choice. I’m really not sure I would want to be named it.

I have met a 4 year old [name]Ophelia[/name] and I thought it was beautiful. :slight_smile: I’m always impressed when a parent is willing to use a name that despite it’s beauty might be considered “too much”.

Thanks-- the poll is a little silly, I know. I’m trying to get some honest opinions about it though. I’m not sure I’m “brave” enough to use it. Brave might not be the right word-- I’m more worried about having my daughter hate me or having to constantly justify it to others.

Thanks for your comments. I look at a name like [name]Seraphina[/name], which many say is too frilly and showy, and I would honestly go for it. I’m not afraid of that one or many others. This one, though I love it and keep coming back to me, worries me a bit. I might have to go with my gut feeling.

…and I think immediately of the Shakespearean character. There’s the good side of this (to grow up with a sense of special relatedness to the Shakespearean,) and the bad side (connection to the crazed and suicidal.) So I’d say that, if for your family that [name]Shakespeare[/name] connection is going to be a GOOD thing, go for it! It’s a beautiful name!

I went to high school with a girl named [name]Ofelia[/name], which is the Spanish version of [name]Ophelia[/name]. I think in Spanish it’s pronounce oh-[name]FE[/name]-lee-ah, but everyone, including her, pronounced it just like [name]Ophelia[/name]. A lot of people called her [name]Fee[/name] or [name]Fia[/name], but she did go by [name]Ofelia[/name] a lot of the time as well. The name suited her nicely. She was very elegant, pretty, smart. I can’t imagine she was ever teased as a kid, since the main issues many people have with the name is the pedophilia/hemophilia link, and most children are unfamiliar with those words (I would hope). I don’t think the [name]Shakespeare[/name] connection is a bad one. [name]Juliet[/name] was suicidal as well, and yet her name gets used plenty. [name]Daisy[/name], from The Great [name]Gatsby[/name], is not a prime role model, yet I’ve heard several women say they’d name their daughters that name just because they love the book. So, all in all, if I were to meet a little [name]Ophelia[/name] I would applaud the parents for their brave choice, I would assume that they are name lovers and most likely are well read/educated. It’s a name I love a lot, personally. So I’m a bit biased. But having known one in real life, and seeing how the name can be truly lovely on a young woman, I definitely see this name working in the real world. I also should note that I’m from New [name]York[/name] City, so I’m used to unusual names, particularly ethnic/international ones, so in that respect I’m again a bit biased.

@Thanks freckles! Alot of what you said makes sense.
I’m from the NYC area too so I am used to a bit more variety in names. We live in the midwest right now though. I really like the [name]Shakespeare[/name] connection. [name]Hamlet[/name] was one of my favs and before my mommy days, I was an actress. I studied alot of shakespeare. My fav shakespeare name is [name]Helena[/name], but DH and I can’t agree on a pronunciation so I’ve temporarily dropped it.

@fergosky - in general, I think a connection to [name]Shakespeare[/name] is usually a good one, but some characters… It’s a tough choice. It really is!

I completely agree with Freckles. I love a literary connection, though, and I’m personally willing to sacrifice a great name for a semi-lousy namesake, like the troubled Shakespearean [name]Ophelia[/name]. But, you know, she’s misunderstood and she’s still a “good” character - she has depth. Anyway…

I used to love [name]Arabella[/name], but thought it was too frilly for my taste. And, really, it is - I just can’t pull off a flouncy name like that! But you, I think you could! Something like [name]Seraphina[/name] or [name]Ophelia[/name] feels more your style - clearly feminine, romantic, and almost ethereal in a way. However, for some reason, I’d much rather be named [name]Ophelia[/name] than [name]Seraphina[/name], personally. Maybe it is because [name]Seraphina[/name] is such a celebrity baby name in my mind now, or maybe it is the almost-religious connotation I have with the name, but [name]Ophelia[/name] just feels more accessible, and I think [name]Lia[/name] is a nice way to tone it down through a nickname…

Put it this way: I think [name]Ophelia[/name] is a great alternative to the very-popular [name]Olivia[/name], but I prefer the classic [name]Sarah[/name] to [name]Seraphina[/name]…

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile: