Your almost-name

[name_m]Hi[/name_m]! I’m super curious what your almost-names were. [name_u]Or[/name_u] maybe the almost-name of a child.

If I was a boy, I would’ve been [name_u]Hazen[/name_u] [name_m]Patrick[/name_m] or [name_m]Dominic[/name_m] [name_m]Peter[/name_m], but I know my mom also loved [name_u]Allison[/name_u] & would’ve used it if she had the chance!

2 Likes

[name_f]Hannah[/name_f] or [name_f]Prudence[/name_f]

2 Likes

Other names my parents considered for me were [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], [name_f]Caroline[/name_f], [name_f]Grace[/name_f], and [name_f]Audrey[/name_f]! They had a pretty defined style of classic, well-known names.

3 Likes

I would’ve enjoyed being a [name_f]Prudence[/name_f] “Prue” (the derogatory jokes wouldn’t have bothered me because I was always made fun of for having a shy, introverted, cautious, keep-to-myself and try not to get wrapped up in trouble or boys attitude.) I actually think it would’ve very much suited my personality (well at least parts of it ha!)

If I was a boy, I would have been [name_u]Gus[/name_u] [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m].

Other girl names my mom considered were [name_u]Ariel[/name_u], [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Arianna[/name_f], and [name_f]Ivy[/name_f].

There’s a pretty recent thread on this already :slightly_smiling_face:

What was your almost name? - Baby Names - Nameberry

5 Likes

I was nearly a Sarah, which would have been terrible because I know so many! If I had been a boy, I would have been Brendan. :confused:

1 Like

my mom always wanted to name her child [name_f]Katherine[/name_f], and was convinced that would be my name. Then I was born, and she changed her mind

1 Like

Asa for a boy. Mabel, Maya, or Lucy for a girl.

2 Likes

I was almost an [name_f]Arianne[/name_f], a [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] or a [name_u]Camille[/name_u]. [name_f]My[/name_f] parents had no inspiration for boys’ names :joy:

When I was pregnant with my son, one of the potential names was [name_u]Tristan[/name_u]. Both my parents loved it very much.

2 Likes

I was almost [name_f]Alexandria[/name_f] or Jennifer… I think I would’ve liked [name_f]Alexandria[/name_f] best, although would have hated being an Alex… which I probably would’ve been though my parents insisted I could’ve been Lexi… I would’ve angled for Alla/Allie/Annie or even [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f], but that would’ve been a bit crazy in the late 80s lol.

If I were a boy, I would’ve been [name_u]Charlie[/name_u], [name_u]Levi[/name_u], or [name_m]Andrew[/name_m], I think (or maybe Matthew/Michael)–much more interesting options I think!

3 Likes

I would’ve liked [name_f]Alexandria[/name_f] and “Andria,” “Aria” or “Ria” are the nicknames I’d have preferred!

Forgot to say if my 2nd was a girl I was convinced I was going to use [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] or [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] at the time!

1 Like

For context, I’m the oldest of four.

My parents, anticipating a girl, planned to name me Jacqueline “Jackie.” They did not do so.

My mother also attempted to nickname my little brother Jack. It did not stick.

Then my two younger sisters came. Neither a Jackie or Jack, or even close.

When I changed my own name as an adult, it was not purely coincidence that I ended up a Jack.

The universe just took a couple extra decades to get me to my rightful name.

(Bonus fact: my brother’s full first name actually makes a little more sense than mine to be “Jack.”)

[name_u]Madison[/name_u] or [name_u]Taylor[/name_u]! [name_u]Taylor[/name_u] [name_u]Jordan[/name_u], to be specific, so I’d have the same initials as my grandpa. Verrrrrry :nine::zero:s names, that’s for sure! They decided against [name_u]Madison[/name_u] because I just didn’t look like one and they decided against [name_u]Taylor[/name_u] because it was too popular.

If I’d been a boy, [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] “Alec” :scarf:

I was going to be [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] [name_f]Theresa[/name_f] and be called KT but my parents decided against it (which was good news for me in the long run, cause way too many [name_f]Katie[/name_f], [name_f]Kate[/name_f], and Caty’s my year)

If I was a boy I would have been [name_u]Scott[/name_u]

[name_f]My[/name_f] mom said she also wanted my brother’s nickname to be [name_m]Chip[/name_m] (he’s a third, so it would differentiate him) and then she wanted to call me [name_u]Dale[/name_u], but my dad vetoed [name_m]Chip[/name_m] so she let go of [name_u]Dale[/name_u]

4 Likes

i just made a thread w/ this exact same topic last week. not trying to be rude or accusing you of copying- you can for sure keep it up- just wondering if you saw my thread/took inspiration from it? i’m not saying im the first to have this question, just wondering if you were aware :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’m sorry! I didn’t know about your thread until somebody said something :sweat_smile:! I thought about closing it but couldn’t figure out how lol.

no need to apologize! i was just wondering if you knew- great minds think alike, i guess! you can for sure leave this thread up, i really am not offended

2 Likes

i don’t think my name was really debated, but there was a chance i could’ve been named Dimitria which would’ve been cool