Your favorite "L" names?

The thread I created a few days back has been an immense help to me. I’ve come to the realization that I absolutely love an “L” in a girl’s name. The trick seems to be finding an “L” name with some strength to it that isn’t just a floppy mess of Ls and vowels. [name]Louisa[/name], [name]Louise[/name], [name]Lavender[/name], and [name]Lavinia[/name] are names I’m considering, but what other options are there? The name doesn’t necessarily have to start with “L,” but I would like for it to have a prominent “L” sound in it ([name]Helen[/name], [name]Clementine[/name], [name]Mabel[/name], [name]Pearl[/name], etc).

By the way, happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow American berries out there!

Hrmm. My favorite “L” name for sure is [name]Liliana[/name], I absolutely adore it. I probably adore it so much because it honors both my grandmas, though. I think [name]Lillian[/name] sounds a bit more grounded than [name]Liliana[/name], but they’re all pretty mainstream.

I’m not sure any of these will appeal to you, you seem to really like vintage names, but these are my favorite “L” names, I tried to go with the ones that sounded most grounded, but I do love the [name]Lola[/name]/[name]Lily[/name]/[name]Lila[/name]/[name]Liliana[/name]/[name]Lilia[/name]/[name]Lulu[/name] family, so I might throw a few of them in there, too, haha.

Adalet (obscure Turkish name I found when researching for a novel I wanted to write about 4 years ago. I still adore it. It feels like a mixture of the vintage [name]Adeline[/name] with the light-and-sweet (and yes, vintage) [name]Violet[/name])
[name]Adeline[/name]
[name]Alaia[/name] (sounds like pure fluff to me, but I love it!)
[name]Anneliese[/name]
[name]Ariel/name (I prefer [name]Arianne[/name] to it, and possibly even [name]Aurora[/name] and [name]Aurelie[/name]/[name]Aurelia[/name], but I do like [name]Arielle[/name] a lot, it has a lot of significance to me and I love that it means “lion of God”)
[name]Aurelie[/name]
Avelaine (I think the “V” gives it a bit of a hard sound, so it’s not all fluff. My best friend’s daughter is named Avelaine nn [name]Lainey[/name], I think it’s adorable)
[name]Belle[/name] (and all the [name]Bella[/name] names!)
[name]Blythe[/name]
[name]Camille[/name]/[name]Camilla[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Cecilia[/name]/[name]Cecily[/name]
[name]Claire[/name]/[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Coralie[/name]/[name]Cordelia[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Eilidh[/name] (sounds very cutesy to me, but it could honor my sister and I love it! It’s pronounced AY-lee)
[name]Eleni[/name]
[name]Eliora[/name] (SO many vowels! But it has a great meaning and it’s so unexpected. I love it)
[name]Emilia[/name] (sounds really close to [name]Amelia[/name], but I love the Shakespearean and family ties I have to this name)
[name]Eliska[/name] (one of the more striking [name]Elizabeth[/name] forms, imo. Along with [name]Eliza[/name])
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Evangeline[/name]
[name]Fleur[/name]
[name]Giselle[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Helena[/name] (which I know you love, as well!)
[name]Julia[/name]/[name]Juliana[/name] (I prefer [name]Juliana[/name] of all the [name]Juli[/name]- variants atm, but [name]Juliana[/name] feels much more frilly to me than [name]Julia[/name] or maybe even [name]Juliet[/name]…)
[name]Liliana[/name]/[name]Lilibet[/name]/[name]Lilia[/name]/[name]Lillian[/name]/[name]Lila[/name]
[name]Luna[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Lisette[/name]
[name]Laurel[/name]
[name]Lark[/name]
[name]Lucia[/name]
[name]Madeleine[/name]/[name]Madelaine[/name] (I think [name]Madelaine[/name] sounds more grounded than [name]Madeleine[/name], but either is gorgeous, imo!)
[name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Natalie[/name]
[name]Olive[/name]/[name]Olivia[/name]
[name]Ophelia[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Paloma[/name]
[name]Rachel[/name]
[name]Rosalie[/name]
[name]Sybil[/name] ([name]AH[/name]! [name]Sybil[/name]! I don’t know if you like her, but I think she’d go great with your favorites)
[name]Sylvia[/name]/[name]Sylvie[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]/[name]Viola[/name]
[name]Waverly[/name]

[name]Happy[/name] Thanksgiving!

[name]Elena[/name]
[name]Helen[/name]
[name]Emmanuelle[/name]
[name]Antoinella[/name]
[name]Giselle[/name]
[name]Wilhelmina[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name]
[name]Calla[/name]
[name]Lorraine[/name]
[name]Laverne[/name]
[name]Lilac[/name]
[name]Mallory[/name]

All feel strong to me.

[name]Lillian[/name]
Lilidh
[name]Eilidh[/name]
[name]Madeleine[/name]
[name]Noelle[/name]
[name]Gabrielle[/name]
[name]Lyla[/name]
[name]Mila[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Nell[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name]/[name]Lottie[/name]

These are all off my top list so obviously I like ‘L’ sound too…didn’t realize how much!

[name]Leonie[/name] and [name]Luella[/name] are two I favor.

[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Elle[/name]
[name]Noella[/name]
[name]Nola[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]
[name]Camille[/name]
[name]Camilla[/name]

[name]Eloise[/name]

I love the name [name]Eliana[/name], it doesn’t start with L but definitely has a strong L sound at the beginning. I’ve also thought of using the name [name]Leora[/name] as a way of honouring my DH whose name is [name]Leo[/name], should our baby #2 be a girl.

[name]Lydia[/name] and [name]Linnea[/name]. [name]Lavender[/name] is also wonderful.

For me, it’s definitely [name]Eloise[/name]. I think it’s so gorgeous and spunky. Other “L” names I like:

[name]Elodie[/name]
[name]Lily[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Abigail[/name]
[name]Ella[/name]
[name]Hallie[/name]
[name]Holly[/name]
[name]Lorelei[/name]

I’m sure there are more, but that’s all I can think of right now.

Ones that start with L that I like: [name]Lesley[/name], [name]Lynsey[/name], [name]Leah[/name], [name]Liliana[/name], [name]Livia[/name], [name]Lucy[/name], [name]Lillian[/name], [name]Lila[/name], [name]Lorelei[/name], [name]London[/name], [name]Lacey[/name], [name]Lexa[/name], Leisl/Leisel, [name]Lux[/name], [name]Leigh[/name], [name]Leya[/name].
Ones that start with the “elle” sound: [name]Elodie[/name], [name]Eloise[/name], [name]Elle[/name], [name]Ella[/name], [name]Eleanor[/name], [name]Elena[/name], [name]Alison[/name], [name]Elise[/name], [name]Elisabeth[/name], [name]Elissa[/name].
Ones that end with the “elle” sound: [name]Gabrielle[/name], [name]Giselle[/name], [name]Adele[/name], [name]Belle[/name],

[name]Lucille[/name], [name]Lucy[/name], [name]Lila[/name], [name]Lilith[/name], [name]Lydia[/name]

[name]Lucinda[/name]
[name]Lilac[/name] (I think the hard consonant at the end keeps it from drifting off completely to liquid-vowel land)
[name]Leora[/name]/[name]Liora[/name]
[name]Elspeth[/name]
[name]Iliana[/name] - but rather unstructured for me.
[name]Aaliyah[/name] - I love it, but it’s unstructured.
[name]Viola[/name]
[name]Leah[/name] - I like [name]Leah[/name] better than [name]Leigh[/name]/[name]Lee[/name]/names that end in ley etc. and think its Biblical heaviness grounds it somewhat.
[name]Willa[/name]
[name]Twila[/name]
[name]Opal[/name] - I’d call an [name]Opal[/name] [name]Polly[/name] for short, but I think [name]Opal[/name] has a quiet glow to it that I like.
[name]Lena[/name]
[name]Lilith[/name]
[name]Raziela[/name] & [name]Raphaela[/name]
[name]Lilibet[/name] - A bit fluttery, but I like the sharp -bet ending against the soft girly lili-
[name]Zelda[/name]
[name]Elowen[/name]

Many of my favourites have been mentioned, so I won’t repeat (or try not too!):

[name]Liesel[/name], [name]Lison[/name], [name]Lelya[/name], [name]Luz[/name], [name]Lilja[/name], Lavendula, [name]Ludmila[/name], Lumi, [name]Lilou[/name], Lorien, Lysianassa, [name]Lucrezia[/name], Leto, [name]Lexie[/name], Lenka & [name]Lenore[/name].

Here are some that I love:

[name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Lysistrata[/name]
[name]Melisande[/name]
[name]Melanie[/name]
[name]Adelaide[/name]
[name]Rosalind[/name]
[name]Cecelia[/name]
[name]Valentina[/name]
[name]Eveline[/name]/[name]Evelina[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Christabel[/name]
[name]Ottilie[/name]
[name]Eulalie[/name]/[name]Eulalia[/name]
[name]Luciana[/name]
[name]Olympia[/name]

They may be a bit vowel-heavy for you but I do tend to love names with a lot of vowel sounds!

Others I love that were already mentioned:

[name]Cordelia[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Camilla[/name]
[name]Anneliese[/name]
[name]Cecily[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]

Of the names you are considering, my favorite is [name]Louisa[/name] (gorgeous) and secondly, [name]Lavinia[/name]. I consider [name]Lydia[/name], [name]Anneliese[/name], and [name]Helena[/name] to be terrific options too.

Three of my best friends are named [name]Lorinda[/name], [name]Lenore[/name], and [name]Ellen[/name].

I also [name]LOVE[/name] L names!! Some of my favorite…
[name]Lucy[/name]/[name]Lucia[/name]
[name]Lux[/name]
[name]Lilah[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Leah[/name]
[name]Leonie[/name]
[name]Lena[/name]
Leira
[name]Laine[/name]
[name]Lorna[/name]

I adore
[name]Lenore[/name]/[name]Lenora[/name]
[name]Lillian[/name]
[name]Lucille[/name]
[name]Lucinda[/name]
[name]Lavinia[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Lilah[/name]
[name]Lola[/name]
[name]Loraine[/name]/Loraina (nn [name]Rae[/name])
[name]Lois[/name]
Lillibet

For something with a prominent ‘L’ sound that is also crisp, I love [name]Calypso[/name].

I also adore [name]Lillian[/name] and [name]Lucille[/name] and [name]Calla[/name].

So many great suggestions! I didn’t realize until recently how much I like [name]Blythe[/name]. The meaning might could help me overlook the liquid factor. I also really like these:

[name]Belle[/name] (my only concern is that [name]Belle[/name] would be lost in the sea of -elle and -ella names)
[name]Luna[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Leonie[/name] (but I sort of prefer [name]Leona[/name])
[name]Luella[/name] (very liquid, but I’m a sucker for the [name]Lu[/name] names)
[name]Liora[/name] (love the meaning)
[name]Adele[/name] (I’ve liked this for a while)
[name]Opal[/name]
[name]Eulalia[/name]/[name]Eulalie[/name] (again, very liquid, but it’s SO pretty!)

I also like [name]Calla[/name], but [name]Callaway[/name] (which I love) was my great-grandmother’s maiden name and I would use that instead. What holds me back with [name]Louisa[/name], [name]Louise[/name], and [name]Eloise[/name] is the “eez” sound. It irks me.