I’m really curious to see what your heritage is! Here’s mine:

25% Finnish
25% Danish
25% Irish
12.5% [name_m]German[/name_m]
6.25% Greek
3.125% Italian
3.125% Scottish

Sorry I’ve gone slightly wacko with the percentages - my grandma and I are really into the genealogy research, and we have a family records book.

So, what’s your heritage? I’m dying to find out!

(Side note: This means your ancestral background, not your nationality! Caused a little bit of confusion so just thought I’d clear it up.)

1 Like

Edited for privacy.

I’m pretty mixed up:
50% Portuguese
25% [name_m]French[/name_m]
25%- [name_m]German[/name_m], Dutch, Irish, “Prussian” (my dad said we were Prussian, but I have no idea if he means [name_m]German[/name_m] or what), etc.

British through and through, thought there are rumours of [name_m]German[/name_m] and/or Scandinavian ancestry on my mum’s side.

I’m roughly (counting only the major things because no one’s too sure of the lesser percentages):

25% Czech, my maternal grandmother is almost completely Czech, but there may be some English or [name_m]French[/name_m] mixed in.

25% [name_m]German[/name_m], from my maternal grandfather.

25% Irish, from my paternal grandfather.

My paternal grandmother has been a problem forever, and it’s just getting worse. My great-grandmother lied and said that she was Italian, she even changed her surname. We just found out that she was Polish. What’s really weird is that no one ever put the pieces together; my dad was talking about how her brothers and how they were very proudly Polish after my aunt figured it out. We aren’t sure about her father, she was the product of a one night stand. Last time I asked they had it narrowed down to Polish, Lithuanian, Latvian, or Romanian. The most annoying part is that her younger half sister is still alive and refuses to give a straight answer or says she doesn’t know and my grandfather pretends she never told him. She knows, my grandmother knew, my great-grandmother knew, my grandfather knows, they just never wanted the rest of us to know.

I’m a bit of everything. A quarter Irish, an eighth Italian, and an eighth Polish from my dad’s side, and some unknown percentages of Irish, Choctaw, Scottish, English, [name_m]French[/name_m], [name_m]German[/name_m], Swiss, and Cherokee from my mom’s side. And because my (Italian) last name has a rolled r, a ton of people assume I’m Hispanic. We joke around with my paternal grandparents that all a mixed heritage house means is that we eat our potatoes with olive oil. :slight_smile:

75% Scottish and 25% English. My great grandparents on my dads side (both his mums and dads families) came over [name_f]Scotland[/name_f] as did my Grandma and my granddad came over from [name_f]England[/name_f] their could be other things like I suspect my pops family actually came from maybe [name_f]England[/name_f] due to my non Scottish surname (its [name_m]Smith[/name_m]) but they are from [name_f]Scotland[/name_f] before they came here.

I’m English :slight_smile: I don’t know the percentages of other nationalities.

Going back:

Grandma [name_f]Eileen[/name_f]'s family: [name_u]Donegal[/name_u] ([name_f]Ireland[/name_f]), Waterford ([name_f]Ireland[/name_f]) and Staffordshire ([name_f]England[/name_f]).
Granddad [name_m]John[/name_m]'s family: Warrington ([name_f]England[/name_f]), Oxfordshire ([name_f]England[/name_f]). From what we know, he is solidly English. Very rare in Liverpool :wink:
[name_f]Nanna[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]'s family: Kilkenny ([name_f]Ireland[/name_f]) and Wexford ([name_f]Ireland[/name_f])
Pop [name_m]Joseph[/name_m]'s family: Belfast (N.I) and [name_u]North[/name_u] [name_m]Wales[/name_m] (very hard to know exactly where for sure as our surname is so common.)

There are family rumours of possible Italian/Portuguese heritage somewhere in the 1600’s because the surname Borgia pops up in the family tree, but no one knows for sure.

Well, I think of myself as mostly American being raised here, born here, etc… But in reality, my dad was born in Spain (he moved here when he was 2). My mom’s side is American, but her maiden name is a Sephardic last name (we’ve been totally [name_m]Christian[/name_m] for generations though). I traced her maiden name down and found Spanish roots, Celtic roots, Italian roots, and Greek roots. [name_f]Kinda[/name_f] all over the place! :stuck_out_tongue:

Privacy editing :rolleyes:

It was so tempting to answer this thread with “I’m half and half. Dad’s a muggle, Mam’s a witch. Bit of a shock for him when he found out!” :wink:

100% English for all the generations we know. English, not British…imagine my disappointment as a teenager going through my ‘Celtic’ phase. Heartbreaking :wink:

Also a first generation born Australian, the racists can’t handle it. I love to tell them that I’m a child of migrants (taking “their” jobs), funny how they only mind when people aren’t Caucasian >.> can’t wait to get some new blood into my family :wink: likely TTC 2016-7 no1, half English, half [name_f]Indian[/name_f], 100% Australian :slight_smile:

Lol. Yes. :slight_smile:

Paternal grandmother: Mum’s Danish and dad’s English
Paternal grandfather: Greenlandic with some Danish somewhere in the mix
Maternal grandmother: [name_m]French[/name_m]/Austrian (has lived in Denmark for the majority of her life though)
Maternal grandfather: Full-blood [name_u]Dane[/name_u]

50% English
25% Welsh

and 5% each of Scottish, Northern Irish, German, [name_m]French[/name_m] and Dutch.

I consider myself a proud “Canadian” but my heritage is as follows:

Father’s Side: Irish, Scottish, [name_m]German[/name_m]
Mother’s Side: Irish, English

Pretty sure I’m:

50% Irish
25% Cajun (with a little [name_m]German[/name_m] and Spanish in there somewhere)
25% ?

The question mark is because my mom and her father have been estranged for a really long time, and before that he was estranged from his parents (and sort of de facto adopted.) We’re pretty sure he was at least somewhat Polish based on his last name, though.

As far as anyone in my family knows, my heritage is 100% Chinese. :confused: I’ve always found that rather boring, but ah well.

[name_f]Catalina[/name_f], I like how you ask “your heritage”. My nationality is Canadian, I was born and raised here and proud of it, but people still ask me “where are you from”. Um, [name_f]Canada[/name_f], given I’ve lived here for my whole life! So yes, to me there’s a difference (or rather there can be a difference) between heritage and nationality. (Sorry, mini-rant over, it just really gets my goat.)

Mother’s Side: Polish, [name_m]German[/name_m] and English
Father’s Side: [name_m]German[/name_m], [name_m]French[/name_m], Dutch, Swiss, Irish, English and Native American

I am roughly 65% [name_m]German[/name_m], 25% Polish and the remaining %10 is mainly English/Irish.

Yeah I liked that too :slight_smile:

I don’t really know further back than my grandparents, but they are both pure English, so I’m 100% English :slight_smile: x