Your honest thoughts on Astrid?

Curious to know what the general [name]Berry[/name] opinion is on [name]Astrid[/name]. I’m in the process of choosing a name to legally change to, and [name]Astrid[/name] is at the top of my list. Most people (in my own age group, at least; we’re teenagers) I’ve asked so far seem to like it, but I do wonder if they’re just humoring me when they say it’s nice. That said, how do you honestly feel about [name]Astrid[/name]?

So basically, this is your free pass to be mean :slight_smile:

Honestly? I do not like it at all. I don’t care for the sound. I mean, it’s a great name, strong roots and such, but I just do not find it attractive at all.

I actually really like it. To me, it sounds kind of exotic and mature, but also fun. I say go for it! I would love to meet someone named [name]Astrid[/name]!

I recently met an [name]Astrid[/name] for the first time in my life. She has made me warm to the name somewhat, she has a “kick-a$$” personality which is all the more funny with her name, to me. And the singer was terrific. But I still do find the sound somewhat harsh, and potentially tease-worthy. It’s an unusual name for a teen to want to take on - what draws you to it?

I love the name [name]Astrid[/name]!

I like [name]Astrid[/name] ok but then I think it starts with ‘ass’ and I couldn’t get past that. /

I want to like it, but all I hear is ass-tread… :frowning:

I kinda like it. I hear the ass thing too now that someones said it to me, but I think if I met one it would be different. It’s so pretty

It’s a strong, unique name. I do prefer [name]Ingrid[/name], though.

It’s a great name; if you’re a teen then the playground issues with the ‘as’ part should be behind you. Its blend of elegant and funky is pretty much unmatched in English, I think :slight_smile:

Honestly, I’ve never seen the appeal in [name]Astrid[/name]. I think this was compounded by The Office story where [name]Jan[/name] names her baby [name]Astrid[/name]. Everyone thinks it is ass-turd at first. Yeah, it was all in good fun on the show, but I can see this actually being an issue in real life as well. I [name]LOVE[/name] the above poster’s suggestion of [name]Ingrid[/name]. It has the same strong feel while at the same time being much more feminine. And [name]Ingrid[/name] has much less potential for teasing [name]IMO[/name].

I prefer a PP’s suggestion of [name]Ingrid[/name] over [name]Astrid[/name] for you!

I love it! I honestly don’t see the appeal of [name]Ingrid[/name], but I love [name]Astrid[/name]. It is so strong and yet spunky and cool. I think the association to [name]How[/name] to Train your Dragon is pretty cool, too, haha. I think nns could be a problem, but I think [name]Addy[/name] is cute, or even if the MN started with an “L” or “N”, [name]Allie[/name] or [name]Annie[/name].

[name]Love[/name] it. Go for it girl.

If you are worried about the whole nick name thing, then just use a nn based on the last half of the name.

I really love [name]Astrid[/name] in the “I’ll never be brave enough to name a real person that” kind of way. I can’t get over the teasing potential and mispronunciation horrors that could happen. But, that’s just me. You’re talking about something totally different - renaming yourself, not naming a child.

I say, if you have an outgoing personality, consider it. Maybe introduce yourself to strangers as [name]Astrid[/name]. Tell the barista at Starbucks your name is [name]Astrid[/name]. Try the name out for fun to see if you like the way it feels and like the reaction you get from others.

If it doesn’t feel right as a first name, consider it for a middle name, or a nickname.

Best of luck!

Also - like several previous posters have mentioned, I think Ingrid is a lovely name to consider as well. I would personally use Ingrid in real life before I would use Astrid, even though I kind of like Astrid better. I think Ingrid is more usable in real life.

When it comes to teasing potential, I am conservative to a fault. I’d avoid all “as” names.

I get the appeal, but the ass sound makes it off limits to me.

It’s interesting, but it sounds kind of harsh to me sorry.

I think its great! Am I aloud to ask what your FN is now? And why you don’t like it? Not judging just curious.