Your Life Story

Share as much as you want about your life so far!

(inspired by lovely teenberries :blush:)

7 Likes

Okay @acajou, I’ll share a bit of mine. [name_m]Just[/name_m] give me some time to put it together! I figure I’ve been around here a while so it would be cool for y’all to really know who you’re talking to.
@corabrynn08 & @baya44, you could post yours here too, unless you want to keep it private-ish in the teens’ area.

I think I’m going to borrow/steal [name_f]Cora[/name_f]’s formatting. I really liked it! Smart :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For the sake of privacy, I’ll be hiding a few details/leaving out seemingly obvious things. Enjoy!

[name_f]Welcome[/name_f] to the World!

I was born early in the morning, sometime in [name_u]June[/name_u]. I’m from a small town in [name_u]East[/name_u] Iceland. Here are some pictures! I won’t reveal the name, although I’m sure it wouldn’t be too hard to find, provided I’m offering visuals haha! (These are not my pictures! I found them on Google.)

My father is half Icelandic, half Maori, my mother is fully European-Kiwi. So, I actually don’t have much Icelandic blood at all. When I was less than a year old, we moved to [name_u]New[/name_u] Zealand. Months later, my parents split and my mum and I lived with my grandmother in a lovely house on the outskirts of a major city in NZ. We had two cats and a dog- [name_u]Abby[/name_u], Topsy, and [name_u]Joey[/name_u]. [name_u]Abby[/name_u] and Topsy were two little black cats from the same litter, and [name_u]Joey[/name_u] was a [name_m]Jack[/name_m] [name_m]Russell[/name_m] Terrier. He was a feisty thing! The cats hated him.

[name_f]Happy[/name_f] Years

My mother and I lived with my grandmother until I started school at the age of 5. I still saw my dad on the weekends, but I have always been far closer to my mother than my father. I hated school at first. I got bullied tremendously badly in my first few months by the older kids because I looked different and acted differently. At the time I was obviously very upset, but now I like to think that it built character. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

My mother pulled me out of that school after a year. She’d had enough with the horrendous schooling and the bullying I was receiving. In my year of being there, none of my reading/math levels improved at all. She decided she wanted another fresh start and moved us to the other island of [name_u]New[/name_u] Zealand! I enrolled in a school there and my, that first year was magical. We lived in a tiny, 1-bedroom beach house on the coast and went swimming every day. It was a particularly warm year! The school I went to was amazing, and I immediately excelled academically as I was now in the right environment. I loved art, writing, and [name_f]English[/name_f] most of all. It wasn’t until MUCH later in my life that I discovered my love for maths and science. (Originally I was going to paste an image of the beach, but then I realized that if you reverse image search, it literally shows my house I used to live in. This was around the time I started figure skating. I’ll go more into that in the high school section. (By going into it, I mean I’ll link another post I wrote about it) :stuck_out_tongue:)

Let's Not Go There

The next few years, (2011-2013) were some of the worst in my life. For the sake of not wanting to go into too much detail on a public forum, I’ll leave it out. Essentially, we left the island we had been living on and moved back to the place we’d originally lived with my grandmother. We stayed with her for a while until we found a new place. I had to, unfortunately, return to the original school that treated me so awfully.

Better, Yet Worse... Then Better.

In early 2014, I fell very sick. I developed severe emetophobia that absolutely haunted me. The only bright side was that now we were away from a very dangerous situation we had been in on the other island. I was pulled out of school and spent over half the year in a children’s ward. By this point, I had completely lost contact with my father, and my mother was doing everything for me. She was an absolute superhero (she still is!)

By mid-2015, I was still sick, but doing better. I could now be safely at home without 24/7 care. I started middle school then! I started the year a bit later than others (the school year starts in [name_u]February[/name_u] in NZ) but it didn’t matter. I met a girl, [name_u]Parker[/name_u], who really got me back on my feet. [name_u]Parker[/name_u] knew how sick I had been and how delayed I was, both socially and academically, but she very much took me under her wing. Not only that, mine and [name_u]Parker[/name_u]’s teacher was the best teacher I’ve ever had. She gave me so much extra care to make sure I caught up, and by the end of my first year, I was right near the top of my class and got the academic achievement award for my grade. I was so immensely proud! For the first time in a while, I got to be a regular kid. [name_u]Parker[/name_u] and I would have sleepovers just about every weekend and it was just so much fun. However, in the second year of middle school, [name_u]Parker[/name_u] met new friends and started to pull away from me. I was sad and very lonely for that year. I hated her for it, but looking back on it, she was gracious about it. She had been tied to only me for an entire year, and she was just sick of it. [name_m]Even[/name_m] now, we’ve turned out to be very different people. We wouldn’t have anything in common anymore. I never regret being her friend, though. For the year I was alone, I turned to books. I fell in love with the [name_u]Warrior[/name_u] Cats series and Pokemon. It seems weird, but they really helped me through that year. Along with figure skating, I almost forgot to mention. Throughout middle school, once I healed (mostly) from my sickness, I began skating almost every day. More is written about this in my high school section and linked to another comment! This is when my aunt adopted three children. Two from [name_u]America[/name_u], one from Nepal. The youngest one, the Nepalese girl, I immediately formed a connection with, although we’re technically cousins, I call her my sister on here. She is everything to me.

In NZ, there are only two years of middle school (we call it intermediate) so next… Comes high school.

High School

My dad reenters my life! For context, my dad is autistic, has OCD, and severe depression & anxiety. He did not have any other family, friends, etc. Aside from his father who he was estranged from, I was his only person in his life. At first, I rejected him being back, but I came around. [name_f]My[/name_f] parents didn’t get back together, but he stayed in the city we were living in and I saw him every few weeks.

I started high school going by the name of [name_f]Grace[/name_f], my middle name. [name_f]My[/name_f] middle school fed into my high school, so a number of the students there already knew me. (I wanna say 25%? It’s a reasonably big school district.) That was a messy situation, changing my name. If you’re curious, here’s a link to a comment I posted on another thread about how it went down for me. I also go further in-depth about my figure skating years, here! What's it like to...?

I met the most amazing friend, [name_f]Augusta[/name_f]. [name_f]Augusta[/name_f], simply put, changed my life. She was the quiet girl at the back of the class with no friends, and I was the wannabe popular kid who tried SO hard to impress everyone. I had such a rough childhood (see 2011-2013) and then being so sick for a year and a half, I was still socially delayed, despite the help middle school had been. Not only was I delayed, but I was also desperate. To me, high school was a fresh start to be the person I never got to be. I took a liking to [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] right away, on one of the first days. This is a bit mean, but I first noticed her because I thought her name was weird. Once we became friends, I fell in love with the name, so funny that! She was very silent, practically mute- the first year of our friendship, she didn’t speak more than a couple of words to me at a time. I felt special though because I was the ONLY person she spoke to at all, aside from her family. We kept each other afloat in that first year.

My mother got cancer in [name_u]July[/name_u] 2017 (so, this is still my first year of high school!)
It DESTROYED me. I don’t really want to go into it because It’s just so tremendously painful, but it broke me as a person. [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] was always there for me, though. She let me cry. She let me vent.

[TW! Please DO NOT comment on this part of my story if you wish to reply in the comments. If you want to talk about it though, you’re welcome to message me privately.]

I met a man at the end of 2017. He understood my pain and always listened to me, just like [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] did. I was 14 at the time.
In [name_u]July[/name_u] of 2018, I took a test. I tested positive.
2 and a half months later, I was not.

I’m so thankful to say my mother recovered from cancer. And I’m so proud of her. She still was the most amazing mother throughout it all. This was around the time I discovered I wanted to be a doctor, and began working incredibly hard, and found my love for the sciences.
For the sake of time…

Two years later, I’m in the happiest relationship with a boy named [name_m]Samuel[/name_m]. He’s the same age as me, don’t worry! Oh, and guess what? He’s a namenerd too. :wink: [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] is still my very best friend. [name_f]My[/name_f] dear little sister’s boyfriend of two years sadly passed away this [name_u]June[/name_u]. It was definitely one of the hardest times of our life, but we made it through. She is getting all the support she needs. I had a relapse with my illness this year and was in the hospital and had to get surgery back in [name_u]September[/name_u]. I made a recovery, although I still am in remission. (If you’re wondering, it wasn’t cancer! It was something entirely different relating to my stomach) I still have severe emetophobia as a direct cause of this illness, but every day I’m working on lessening the fear. I am happy. I am excited, and I am ready to face the world.

Next, in just a year’s time, I’ll be in my first year of medical school. I’m so excited to see what comes next.

So many details were left out of this in order to protect my privacy, but here are a few more random facts that I didn’t really fit in the main story.

–I’ve been a vegetarian my whole life, as has my mother
– I am on good terms with my father, as of 2020 :slight_smile:
–I have two sweet cats
–Minecraft was a major source of comfort for me in 2014, and I still find myself returning to it sometimes
–I have light blonde hair, hazel eyes, and fair skin. I’m 5"7

10 Likes

I know were you were born, and it’s a lovely town! :wink: I was born on the other side of the country. I’ll share my life story as well, when I have a bit more time.

1 Like

It is such a lovely town! I can’t wait to go back in a few years.

This seems fun!!

The very very beginning

I was born on the 21st of [name_f]April[/name_f], in [name_u]London[/name_u]. I didn’t come into the world alone though, I had my twin (Is@bella Sonj@) who, sadly, is the older one by only a minute. [name_f]My[/name_f] mum is [name_f]English[/name_f] while my dad is Australian :slight_smile:

[name_u]Early[/name_u] years

We lived in [name_u]London[/name_u] till I was about 4. I have a few little key memories so I’ll just mention them here…

• playing charades with my twin, grandma, and mum the day before we moved to australia
  • lending this little boy my woody doll, which he never gave back
  • my dad building a snowman with us, but he ran out to the store to get us some proper winter boots when he realised we were wearing flip flops!
On the other side of the world

Okay, change of scenery! We moved to Australia on the 24th of [name_u]October[/name_u], and me and i were immediately enrolled into school. I’ll explain this a little later, but basically my great grandfather started this humanitarian organisation (how my parents met, lol) and we lived in one of the little properties it owned. I have looads of happy memories here:

• the massive fairy garden!
  • all of the dads in my friend group would play tennis on sundays, and my friends would come round to play
  • learning ballet and the piano in the ballroom
  • mucking around with my twin all over the massive house, like daring each other to jump down the laundry chute, playing moshi monsters on the computers, and learning all about plants from the garderner.
  • playing minecraft every. day.
  • massive christmas parties, all the kids would sit on cushions and get to help act out the nativity play.
  • helping set up breakfast and meal times
  • the BEST birthday parties!

School was loads of fun, this is also when I started my ‘unsent letters’ project, which is essentially where I have written letters to every single person I have met who has left a mark on my life.
Oh I almost forgot, my youngest sister was also born, Be@trice Jacquelin3, or [name_f]Bea[/name_f]/Bean.

I've moved around a bit

So that was the first place we lived in when we came to Australia. But then my parents separated, and my mum, me, and my sisters all moved to a smaller flat, we also moved schools. Some memories…

• Sunny sunday mornings. We used to do ballet in the lounge and jump off the sofas and eat fresh fruit for breakfast.
  • We lived right across the road from my school, so we started to walk by ourselves (and apparently my mum used to watch from the balcony)
  • me and the twin became obsessed with the dear dumb diary movie!

Then a year or two later, we moved a little further into the country and we moved schools yet again. [name_f]My[/name_f] dad also moved to Canberra (alot further than where we are) and I started visiting him more frequently. This wasnt the greatest part of my life if im honest, but I met one of my bestest friends so I am thankful.
Some more memories…

• long car trips with my dad!
  • giggly sleepovers with my friend
  • getting a sausage roll after school with the twin
  • waving to the trains that would pass by, sometimes the train driver would beep back!
  • graduating with my friends
  • silly dance parties and sunny gardens
    Once I graduated I moved up to high school, which was (and is) brilliant. This was all around the span of 4 years, we moved again after that which brings me to…
Nowadays!

This is when everything sort of fell into place.
We moved into our new house back in 2018, and ever since then its felt perfect, this is where we are meant to be. Despite living further away from my highschool me and twin didnt really want to move again, so we take the train and walk every day (1 hour and 30 minute journey in total!) I met the greatest group of girls, though im still very close with my friends from primary school.
Some memories…

• my dad treating me + sisters to hot chocolate the day before our flight
  • summer holidays up in canberra, this includes camping, helping the neighbours with their garden, chalk drawings on the driveway, baking early in the morning, and long movie nights.
  • sitting in the park after a long beach day, eating fish and chips
  • looking for constellations with my best friends
  • my sisters jeans catching on fire after a mishap with smores :woman_facepalming:
  • Minecraft days with my sisters

Also, I really just like telling this story since I find it so interesting and maybe you guys would too!

The whole great grandfather/humanitarian organisation thing.

Okay, so my great-grandfather, ‘B’ was a journalist, with a focus on human rights. While traveling through Rijeka (Croatia, I think) he met my great-grandmother ‘[name_f]Sonja[/name_f]’ who was his interpreter for the journey. Anyways, they ended up falling in love and in 'B’s autobiography he stated that ‘[name_f]My[/name_f] priorities steadily shifted away from the pursuit of the story to the pursuit of the lady,’ which is… Sweet but a little cheesy. He then started the humanitarian foundation which focuses alot on media influences and taking care of others, particularly those from marginalised backgrounds.
I particularly love the story of my great-grandmother, who was the most awesome woman I know. She was actually sentenced to death twice, once during the second world war where she was captured by the Nazis, and a second time under the Yugoslav communist regime. She was released thanks to a friend of hers :slight_smile:

Some little extras

• I’ve been running since I was 7
  • I had a whole 'I am a bunny’s phase when I was 8 :grimacing:
  • I loved adventure time, though it makes me feel strangely sad nowadays.

Umm yep! That’s all I can really think of for now :smiley:

8 Likes

Thanks for sharing! I’m so glad to hear about your recovery and that you are doing well. I’m extremely sorry about your sister’s boyfriend, I wish her all the best :heart:

(Also, I loved Minecraft too as a kid!)

1 Like

Right, so here we go… I’ll leave out some details and be more specific about some “chapters” in my life as I go along, whatever feels right. I apologize in advance for any mistakes, [name_f]English[/name_f] isn’t my first language (not even my second :sweat_smile:)

I wrote earlier in this thread that I was born in Iceland. That isn’t strictly true… [name_f]My[/name_f] twin brother and I were born in [name_u]Sweden[/name_u], but moved to Iceland when we were about 5 weeks old. Our father is Icelandic with Swedish forefathers, our mother is half Swedish and half Polish. [name_f]My[/name_f] childhood in Iceland was easily the happiest time of my life. We grew up in a town not far from Reykjavik. [name_f]My[/name_f] twin brother and I didn’t have any other siblings. We did everything together, we were inseparable and people referred to us as “the twins” most of the time, instead of calling us by our separate names. I was a very serious child, always reading, very shy and quiet. [name_f]My[/name_f] twin brother was always more playful and impulsive. We complemented each other very well.

When we were 10 years old our parents got divorced. It was alright at first, until my mother met her new husband, my stepfather. He’s a very narcissistic man who thinks about nobody but himself. He never cared for me or my brother, we were just some kind of objects to him that he showed off to other people, telling them what a good stepfather he was and how generous it was of him to raise us “as his own”, which wasn’t what he did at all. To him, I was “too boyish” while my brother was “a weakling”. Anyway, my mother moved with him and us to northern [name_m]Germany[/name_m], leaving my dad no other choice than to follow, because he didn’t want to abandon us. In short, my teenage years were a constant battle and I suffered from depression and anxiety. [name_f]My[/name_f] twin brother was my life line through all of it, together with our dad who wanted nothing but the best for us.

Things became easier when I went to live in another town to study at university. I shared an apartment with my twin brother. In this time I met my now ex-husband. After I graduated we got married. I don’t regret it, we were happy together and loved each other. We agreed we didn’t want any children. But when I was 25 I got pregnant. I only found out when I was 10 weeks along. It was a shock, but abortion was never an option for us. When I was 26 our son Hjörtur was born. Looking back he’s the best thing that ever happened to me, but it was a struggle at first, motherhood and settling in. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband and I got divorced. There were so many reasons I don’t even know where to start, but I always loved him and I still do. He’s a great father to Hjörtur.

My “new” SO is a long time friend. He supported me after my divorce and one thing led to another. We now have a son together, [name_m]Barnabas[/name_m], and twins on the way.

Some random facts about me:

• I’m a Catholic
  • I’m a vegetarian
  • I work as a psychologist in a hospital
  • I can’t live without my books
  • Depression and anxiety are still part of my life. [name_f]My[/name_f] anxiety was especially bad when I was pregnant with [name_m]Barnabas[/name_m].
8 Likes

I kind of want to join this thread but my family won’t support my gender identity so I don’t want them to find me on Internet, so just popping in to say hi! It’s so nice to hear your stories :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I’m so sorry to read this. As a psychologist I mostly help transgender and non-binary people, so I have an idea of how hard this can be, even if I haven’t experienced it myself. It’s perfectly okay if you don’t want to share, but I hope you feel comfortable here.

3 Likes

This is sad to read but I hope you know that you have the support of your Nameberry family & that it makes you feel a little better :heartpulse:

3 Likes

Sorry if this is a bit long and confusing, I don’t have a way with words like some people here :upside_down_face:

The very beginning

I was born in [name_u]January[/name_u] 2005 in Cardiff, [name_m]Wales[/name_m]. I lived in a town about an hour away, but my mum’s a doctor and didn’t feel comfortable with her colleagues looking after her. I’m the oldest child, but I had a stillborn older brother. I don’t remember much (obviously), but one of my clearest memories is when my little sister was born when I was almost 3.

Primary school

I loved my first primary school. It was a fairly new school, the year I started was the first year they’d had a year 6 class. It was a Welsh medium school, so I speak fluent Welsh even though my family don’t (doesn’t? I’m not sure which is correct here). I met my friend, [name_f]Melody[/name_f], at that school - we weren’t friends at the time but now she’s one of my favourite people.
Unfortunately, I had to move house halfway through year 1 (age 6). We only moved a 45 minute drive away, but it meant I had to move schools. I hated that school. I don’t have many good memories from the 5 and a bit years I was there. I won’t go into too much detail, but I will say that they had a “one size fits all” approach, which obviously isn’t true. I also have ADHD which didn’t help. Leaving on my last day of year 6 is probably the best memory I have from that school.

Year 7

When I started in year 7, the first thing we did was go on a week long residential trip to get to know each other (it’s a Welsh medium school, so students live up to 30 miles from the school and won’t know many people). I met my best friend, [name_f]Polly[/name_f], there, and I also “re-met” a few people from my first primary school (see: [name_f]Melody[/name_f]). I had a huge argument with the people I was sharing a room with so I had to swap rooms for a night, which was a blessing in disguise because that’s how I met some of my friends.
Year 7 wasn’t the best year, but it was definitely needed to make me the person I am now. After I lost the majority of my primary school friends within the first month (still don’t know why), I only had 3 people to talk to at lunch/break, and they weren’t really the sort of people I spoke to outside of school. I think this partially contributed to me getting diagnosed with anxiety and depression, although this didn’t happen until year 8. I’ll explain a bit more in the next section, but even though all of these bad things happened I was genuinely happy in year 7.

Year 8 (TW)

Year 8 was when things started to go downhill. Like, a lot - this section mentions very serious topics so feel free to skip this if that will affect you.
I didn’t actually mention this, but I saw a specialist for my ADHD and suspected anxiety (confirmed in year 8) from the ages of 3-13. I didn’t like going, and neither did/does anyone else I’ve spoken to who went to the same organisation. Anyway, this specialist prescribed me medication that was very new at the time and didn’t really have all the safety tests it should’ve had. I started taking it in mid 2014, and in mid 2017 they found out that it was really dangerous for kids (I was age 9-12 at this point for anyone who lost track) and that it was also highly addictive. This meant that I was, essentially, a drug addict at the age of 10. [name_f]My[/name_f] parents forced me to quit cold turkey, which usually isn’t the best choice but because I was so young I didn’t know any better. I stopped taking it in [name_u]December[/name_u] 2017, and the withdrawal symptoms were HORRIBLE. There were 2 main ones. The first was suicidal thoughts, because the medication also suppressed them. I ended up being diagnosed with severe depression which everyone missed because of this medication. The second was that I couldn’t keep food down at all. I would throw up after every meal. and I got so fed up of it that I stopped eating for the next 8 months. I was never able to get treatment for either of these things because my parents said they’d just send me back to the organisation that caused them, so I still struggle a bit with both of these things. (ps, I can’t stress this enough: GET TREATMENT IF YOU NEED IT). I do have some good memories from year 8, but unfortunately they were overshadowed by addiction and an eating disorder.

Years 9-11

After year 8, things started improving. I’d pay good money to experience year 9 again, it was hands down the best year of my life. I had an amazing group of friends who I would actually do stuff with, all my classes were pretty stress free. I also came out as bisexual (to my friends, I can’t tell my family for safety reasons). So yeah, If I could do that all over again I would.
Year 10 was the year that got cut short due to coronavirus. The half when I was in school was ok, it was kind of like “I wish I appreciated it more at the time”. The 6 month lockdown was (for me personally) a really good time. I’m really not a social person, so staying in bed for half a year is pretty much my dream! Of course I’m very privileged in that I was able to enjoy it, because I know a lot of people didn’t.
Year 11 only started 2 months ago, but the stress is real. All the uncertainty surrounding GCSE grades means that everyone has to work extra hard, and due to social distancing etc it’s nothing like it was in [name_u]March[/name_u]. All in all though, it’s going ok :slightly_smiling_face:

So yeah, sorry it’s so long! As you can tell, being concise isn’t exactly my strong point.

6 Likes

If anyone knows the correct way please tell me too, I struggle with that :grin:

2 Likes

I’m currently torn between wanting to join in and not wanting a ton of information about myself on the internet… I’ve written it out and erased it a few times but for now I’m just going to read everyone else’s. It’s nice to learn more about you all!

3 Likes

Family is singular even if it implies a group of people. So it would be “my family doesn’t”.

6 Likes

I had no idea [name_f]Christine[/name_f] wasn’t your birth name - but it is definitely your real name nonetheless. It’s one of the most gorgeous names ever. When you go to university, you’ll be able to truly make it your own. It’s definitely hard to change it in a school setting and would likely cause a lot of grief, but it’ll be SO worth it when you’re an adult.

2 Likes

Hey @acajou! [name_f]Do[/name_f] you have to be a teenberrie to reply?

1 Like

No, this is for everyone :slight_smile:

2 Likes