Your Loves/Likes/Dislikes (Style Questions!)

When you are filling out your name list(s), do you seem to have a pattern in what names you choose?

Are you drawn to certain letter combination’s? (examples: ie’s, ly’s, etc)
Are you drawn to specific patterns? (Names that sound alike, Names with double letters etc)

Are your names all along the same lines in regards to style and flow? Or are you very eclectic in your choices?

What makes you [name]LOVE[/name] a name? What makes you hate a name?

What would you call your naming style?

I did have a lot of “-bel” and “-line” names on my girls list before, but I’ve revamped a bit recently so not anymore.
The majority of names I like have an L in them somewhere ([name]Matilda[/name], [name]Violet[/name], [name]Tallulah[/name], [name]Adelaide[/name], [name]Eulalie[/name], [name]Isobel[/name], [name]William[/name], [name]Nathaniel[/name], [name]Salem[/name], [name]Leo[/name], [name]Elias[/name] … the list goes on!), so clearly I’m drawn to that sound.
I also like a lot of “-us” (or similar sound) names for boys - [name]Atticus[/name], [name]Elias[/name], [name]Octavius[/name], [name]Cassius[/name], [name]Americus[/name], [name]Silas[/name], [name]Judas[/name] etc.

Are you drawn to specific patterns?
Most of the names I like have 3 syllables, there are very few that deviate from that. Not sure why, perhaps because 3-syllable names sound fuller and “well-rounded” to me.

Are your names all along the same lines in regards to style and flow? Or are you very eclectic in your choices?
I think most of my names are the same sort of style. I have a few that are different from what I usually like, but I’d probably be apprehensive to actually use those on a child.

The two biggest factos in name choosing for me are the sound and the way they look, those are what make or break a name for me.
I like names that sound pretty/handsome, classic and sophisticated, and a little edgy/spunky, and I like names which look more streamlined (no unnecessary letters) and simple, usually the traditional spellings.
Things like popularity and meaning are largely unimportant to me.

I would say ‘quirky classic’ or ‘spunky vintage’ :slight_smile:

Ooh good question!

I am! It’s really annoying because I can’t use a lot of the similar sounding names together. I like ER/UR endings for boys for some reason ex. [name]Evander[/name], [name]Oliver[/name], [name]Asher[/name], [name]Arthur[/name], [name]Dexter[/name]. For girls they usually have I’s & E’s in them somewhere ex. [name]Evangeline[/name], [name]Juliette[/name], [name]Rosalie[/name], [name]Anneliese[/name], [name]Mirabelle[/name], [name]Genevieve[/name], [name]Coralie[/name], [name]Vivienne[/name], [name]Seraphina[/name], [name]Mireille[/name] .

Yes they are usually longer names for girls, 3-4 syllables for boys I usually go for 2-3 syllables. The girl names are usually very girly and the boy names have to be strictly masculine.

I think they are, you can probably see that from what I listed above.

I love names that are pretty and elegant. A lot of the time when the name has a really good meaning it makes me love it more. They usually have a romantic/old fashioned feel to them too. I hate a name when it has no substance or real meaning behind them, when it’s recently made-up or trendy sounding

Girly/Elegant/Old Fashioned/Romantic/French inspired for girls. Masculine/Old Fashioned for boys.

:slight_smile:

I’ll answer my own questions too :slight_smile:

When you are filling out your name list(s), do you seem to have a pattern in what names you choose?
I tend to lean towards somewhat quirky but feminine girls names, with a few exceptions. Boys names can’t be any sort of girly/feminine, I like boys boys names.

I [name]LOVE[/name] double letters, -nn- -ll- -tt- etc. If a name has it, I’ll probably be drawn to it for whatever reason. I also seem to like the ie/ee sounds.

Almost every name on my list has the same ending sound with a few exceptions. None of them have the same first letters though.

I think most of my names flow along the same style, but again, there are exceptions, but the exceptions are sort of touch and go on whether or not I’d actually use them.

I love names with a silky sound that sound smooth and nice. I hate trendee names with kreeatif spellings. I generally, by a rule, would never use a top 100 name.

I’m not sure!!

Not really. I mean, a lot of my girls’ names end in -a, -ia, -elia, or -ine, but then again those endings make up a large percentage of all girls’ names anyway. I think there’s more of a pattern for my favorite boys’ names; a lot of them end in the ‘us’ sound-- [name]Elias[/name], [name]Matthias[/name], [name]Phineas[/name]. But in general, my favorite names are similar in that they have the same sort of ‘feel’ or style or pattern of usage. Sound doesn’t play into it a whole lot. If anything, it’s the way the name looks on paper (or, you know, on the computer screen).

Yeah, they’re definitely pretty similar in that most of the names on my list combined would make a good ‘sibset’-- i.e, I don’t have [name]Augusta[/name] and [name]Addison[/name] on the same list. I do like names from a number of different languages, like French, Italian, [name]Indian[/name]/Hindu, etc. And most of my names have the same classic feel.

For me, the big thing is history of use, or legitimacy. The older, the better, pretty much. I tend to prefer classics over older names that have experienced a burst in popularity. Also, it should be able to fit any sort of person-- old or young, any personality. Names I hate are either misspelled, newly coined, surnames, on the wrong gender, or just have an ugly (objectively to me) sound like [name]Penelope[/name] or [name]Imogen[/name].

Hm… underused classic?