Your opinions on this name please

[name_m]Hi[/name_m]

I have always loved the name ‘[name_u]Bailey[/name_u]’ and I am just looking for some thoughts and opinions on this name? (I would use it on a boy). I would be grateful if you could also think of any similar names (in style or sound) that I may be able to use in addition to or instead of [name_u]Bailey[/name_u].

Thank you in advance!

I’m not keen on [name_u]Bailey[/name_u], sorry. It’s not well thought of in the UK to be honest…

It’s also one of those names that is being used on boys and girls and just seems to lack something [name_f]IMO[/name_f]. I can’t imagine anyone over the age of about 10 years old with this name to be honest so it doesn’t really age well.

I’m finding it difficult to think of similar names that have a bit more substance and history about them. Maybe [name_m]Eamon[/name_m], [name_m]Aaron[/name_m], [name_m]Clarke[/name_m], [name_u]Finlay[/name_u], [name_u]Linden[/name_u], [name_u]Riley[/name_u], [name_u]Spencer[/name_u]? All a little more traditional but still with a modern feel.

To me, [name_u]Bailey[/name_u] is a name I’ve heard on so many dogs I could never think of it fitting a child. Some friends of mine recently named their daughter [name_u]Bailey[/name_u] and that’s all I can think of when I hear them use her name. For me, it would definitely not work on a boy. Sorry :frowning:

I’m in the USA and [name_u]Bailey[/name_u] is pretty normal here. It’s used on girls also, which I hope doesn’t put you off of the name!

Similar sounding names: [name_f]Baylor[/name_f], [name_m]Bayard[/name_m]
Similar feeling names: [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u], [name_u]Hudson[/name_u], [name_m]Thatcher[/name_m] (pretty much any occupation or surname name [name_f]IMO[/name_f]), [name_m]Jackson[/name_m], [name_m]Wyatt[/name_m]?

HTH!

I know a guy named [name_u]Bailey[/name_u] and it suits him nicely. Some other names:

[name_m]Beau[/name_m]
[name_m]Bodhi[/name_m]
[name_u]Braeden[/name_u]
[name_m]Brandon[/name_m]
[name_m]Brody[/name_m]
[name_m]Brogan[/name_m]
[name_m]Brooks[/name_m]
[name_u]Cade[/name_u]
[name_m]Caden[/name_m]
[name_u]Camden[/name_u]
[name_u]Hayden[/name_u]
[name_u]Mercer[/name_u]
[name_u]Paxton[/name_u]
[name_u]Rhys[/name_u]
[name_u]Riley[/name_u]

I can see it as a middle name only. You do hear it tons on dogs and girls.

I think [name_u]Bailey[/name_u] is an ok name, I actually prefer [name_f]Baylor[/name_f] though. Or [name_u]Riley[/name_u]? [name_u]Raleigh[/name_u]? [name_u]Oakley[/name_u]?

[name_u]Bailey[/name_u] is a fairly chavvy name here in the UK, or a surname. Personally it’s not my style and it lacks a certain panache, even though it is a family name for me.

I’ve also known a few dogs named [name_u]Bailey[/name_u] and don’t really like it, but I’d like to second the suggestion of [name_m]Eamon[/name_m].

I don’t really find this name appealing to be honest it’s quite a bland sounding name to me. It’s not the worst out there by a longshot but it is also a name that is given to quite a lot of dogs (at least it is where I’m from) s0 that would be something to consider before using it.
Some other names that are kind of the same style of job meaning with [name_u]Bailey[/name_u] meaning Bailiff and all:
[name_m]Cooper[/name_m]
[name_u]Spencer[/name_u]
[name_u]Sawyer[/name_u]
[name_u]Parker[/name_u]
[name_m]Archer[/name_m]
[name_u]Hunter[/name_u]
[name_m]Gunner[/name_m]
[name_m]Ryder[/name_m]
or names like
[name_m]Elijah[/name_m]
[name_u]Blake[/name_u]
[name_m]Joshua[/name_m]
[name_u]Riley[/name_u]
[name_u]Casey[/name_u]
[name_u]Harley[/name_u]

Thank you for the help everyone. I am from the UK myself so I am aware that it is commonly used on dogs, however this wouldn’t necessarily put me off the name. I have also seen the name used on girls and perhaps that I why I like it as a boy name, as it would be less common.

I am somewhat surprised at the suggestions that it is a “chavvy” name, or that it is bland. That is definitely not my style!

I guess the thing with forums like this is that everyone has such differing opinions on names that you will never have all favourable opinions.

I actually like it! It’s a cute name and I could see it aging well. I don’t know any humans or dogs with the name. :stuck_out_tongue: People might comment on it being like [name_u]Bailey[/name_u]'s Irish cream, but other than that, I see no reason why you shouldn’t use it!

I know boys named [name_u]Bailey[/name_u], I think it is totally fine for a boy. It’s not my favorite name, but I like it. I much prefer it on a boy than a girl. You might like:
[name_u]Hudson[/name_u]
[name_u]Skyler[/name_u]
Hollins
[name_m]Jackson[/name_m]
[name_u]Riley[/name_u]
[name_m]Bryson[/name_m]

It’s not horrible, but I would tend to associate it with a dog as I have known so many here in the UK. I also find it quite “chavvy” on a girl as others have put it, but strangely not so much on a boy? It’s kind of cute, although I am not sure it would age well.