your opinions please

we are choosing a name for our second baby girl. We like something unusual but not over the top/difficult to spell and pronounce and are struggling! Please let us know what you think or if you have any other suggestions. Thanks!

[name]Leela[/name]/[name]Lela[/name] (pronounced lee-lah)
[name]Evangeline[/name]
[name]Thea[/name]
[name]Luna[/name]
[name]Anais[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Freya[/name]
[name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Amber[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Mabel[/name]
[name]Kitty[/name]
[name]Tilly[/name]

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Maia[/name]! Congratulations! Nameberry focuses on more classic names with a true history… just so you know that is where many of your replies will be coming from!

[name]Leela[/name]/[name]Lela[/name] (pronounced lee-lah) I like the Idea of this name but the spelling is throwing me. [name]Do[/name] you like [name]Leah[/name]?

[name]Evangeline[/name] [name]LOVE[/name] THIS, although it is getting to be slightly more popular… but not so popular that you will have several in her class. She will have some Avas though. I still love it!

[name]Thea[/name] just okay for me
[name]Luna[/name] I would worry about the “looney”/crazy references and teasing if it were me
[name]Anais[/name] too close to Anus. Sorry!
[name]Scarlett[/name] pretty but very dramatic! She would need a strong personality to pull it off!
[name]Freya[/name] Very cute and unique. Totally fits the bill!
[name]Annabel[/name] I would prefer this spelled [name]Annabelle[/name]… it might get more popular due to the popularity of [name]Isobel[/name] and [name]Isabella[/name].
[name]Amber[/name] Feels dated to me, like 90s.
[name]Charlotte[/name] Very pretty, classic, unique and something she will love as a child and an adult!
[name]Mabel[/name] cute, these names of our grandparents generation are really coming back!
[name]Kitty[/name] if you do this please name her [name]Katherine[/name]… I always try to think about what if she is the CEO of a company someday, she will want to have the more formal name to put on her card.
[name]Tilly[/name] This is a cute nickname but I would try to name her a more formal name for the reasons above… what about [name]Tallulah[/name]?

Overall I like [name]Evangeline[/name], [name]Freya[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name]!

Congrats!

I’m not a fan of [name]Anais[/name], [name]Kitty[/name], or [name]Amber[/name], but I really like your overall taste in names:)
Other possibilities…
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Rosa[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Maude[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name]
[name]Adelaide[/name]
[name]Lena[/name]
[name]Norah[/name]
[name]Kinsey[/name]
[name]Lorna[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Adele[/name]
[name]Tessa[/name]
[name]Milly[/name]
[name]Poppy[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]
[name]Dinah[/name]
[name]Ellie[/name]
[name]Annelise[/name]

[name]Hi[/name] there! :slight_smile: If it’s okay with you, it would really help if you could tell us your daughter’s name, so we could make sure it will work with the name of her new sister. :slight_smile:

[name]Leela[/name]/[name]Lela[/name] (pronounced lee-lah): I actually know a [name]Lela[/name] (spelled [name]Lela[/name]), who pronounces her name “lee-la,” and has spent a good chunk of her life correcting people who call her “leh-la.” What about [name]Lila[/name]?

[name]Evangeline[/name]: I really, really love [name]Evangeline[/name]!

[name]Thea[/name]: I think [name]Thea[/name] is pretty, but you’ll encounter pronunciation issues (thay-uh, thee-uh, tay-uh). I think it’s a great nickname for [name]Theodora[/name] and [name]Dorothea[/name].

[name]Luna[/name]: Like [name]Erin[/name], I’d be concerned about looney nicknames and teasing.

[name]Anais[/name]: I’m going to second my dislike of [name]Anais[/name] based on it being too close to that, um, part of the human anatomy. I know how to pronounce it properly (ahna-eese), but anyone who isn’t familiar with the French pronunciation would likey pronounce it ann-ace.

[name]Scarlett[/name]: I really like [name]Scarlett[/name], and think [name]Lettie[/name] is a cute nickname. That said, I’d personally keep it as a middle due to the potential “scar” nickname.

[name]Freya[/name]: I’m not a fan of [name]Freya[/name] (I just don’t like the sound, and I think of frayed clothing), but that’s just me!

[name]Annabel[/name]: [name]Annabel[/name]/[name]Annabelle[/name] is one of my favorite names, but it’s getting really popular.

[name]Amber[/name]: [name]Amber[/name] is really, really dated/out of style. :frowning: What about [name]Pearl[/name] or [name]Ruby[/name]?

[name]Charlotte[/name]: I really love [name]Charlotte[/name], but it’s really getting popular (it’s #87 now), so it’s no longer unusual. :frowning:

[name]Mabel[/name]: I think [name]Mabel[/name] is darling!

[name]Kitty[/name]: I think [name]Kitty[/name] is a great nickname for [name]Katherine[/name], but I think it’s too unsubstantial as a name in and of itself.

[name]Tilly[/name]: Another great nickname for me, but not as a stand-alone name. I really like it as a nickname for Matlida.

Other ideas:

[name]Aurelia[/name]
[name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Celia[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name]
[name]Clover[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Dahlia[/name]
[name]Delphine[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name]
[name]Georgiana[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Helena[/name] (nn [name]Nell[/name] or [name]Lena[/name])
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Isla[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Lila[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name] (nn [name]Daisy[/name], [name]Maisie[/name])
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Paloma[/name]
[name]Romilly[/name]
[name]Simone[/name]
[name]Tamsin[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]
[name]Zara[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Thank you all very much!
I had the same worries about [name]Luna[/name] and even though I think sounds nice and feminine it is off the list now. It didn’t cross my mind about [name]Anais[/name] but I can see you point - Thanks for that!

I love [name]Poppy[/name] and [name]Isla[/name] and were on my original list but we live in UK ant it is getting very popular here and think that in few years time we will have several in the class. Same with [name]Ruby[/name] (no 1 I think) and [name]Flora[/name]

[name]Annabel[/name] I love and my husband’s favorite but it doesn’t have a spark for me. Is it a bit boring?

Please let us know what you think of our new list or if you have any more suggestions:

Thanks!

Our surname ends with ‘t’ so I think these are not good??
[name]Scarlett[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Juliet[/name], [name]Violet[/name].

[name]Camille[/name]
[name]Evangeline[/name] - would you ever use it in full?
[name]Thea[/name]
[name]Lana[/name]
[name]Mabel[/name]
[name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Viola[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Paloma[/name]
[name]Isla[/name] - was on my very first list! i thought it was getting popular??
[name]Leah[/name]
[name]Romilly[/name]
[name]Darcy[/name]
[name]Elody[/name]

[name]LOVE[/name] [name]Elodie[/name]!
If your worried about the popularity of [name]Isla[/name] (which I also love- def. in my top 10!), here are some similar names to consider:
[name]Iona[/name]/[name]Ione[/name]
[name]Esme[/name]
[name]Glenda[/name]
[name]Dara[/name]
[name]Mara[/name]
[name]Moira[/name]
[name]Mina[/name]
[name]Aoife[/name]
[name]Elle[/name]
[name]Effie[/name]
[name]Ellery[/name]

I don’t know how it is in the UK, but over here, [name]Leah[/name] is becoming VERY popular, so something you might want to think about. Similar, but less popular names:
[name]Naomi[/name]
[name]Elise[/name]
[name]Joanna[/name]
[name]Elsa[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Delia[/name]
[name]Della[/name]
[name]Rilla[/name]
[name]Corrine[/name]
[name]Leila[/name]
[name]Lucia[/name]

Also, I really like [name]Anabella[/name] instead of [name]Anabel[/name].
Or [name]Arabelle[/name]
[name]Mirabelle[/name]/a
[name]Clarabelle[/name]/a
[name]Rosabelle[/name]/a
[name]Analise[/name]
[name]Rosemarie[/name]
[name]Marianna[/name]
[name]Annemarie[/name]
[name]Marcella[/name]
[name]Christabel[/name]
Liviana
[name]Angeline[/name] (Also could work in place of [name]Evangeline[/name], as could
[name]Eveline[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name]
[name]Adeline[/name]
[name]Adelyn[/name]
[name]Adelaide[/name]:slight_smile:

Good [name]Luck[/name]!

[name]Annabelle[/name] is one of my favorite names. :slight_smile:

[name]Camille[/name]: I think [name]Camille[/name] is lovely!

[name]Evangeline[/name]: I think [name]Evangeline[/name] is gorgeous, and yes, I’d use it in full.

[name]Thea[/name]: Still a nickname name for me, and I’d worry about pronunciation issues (thee-uh, thay-uh, tay-uh).

[name]Lana[/name]: I’d worry about pronunciation issues with [name]Lana[/name], too ([name]Lonn[/name]-a, [name]Lane[/name]-a, Lann-uh).

[name]Mabel[/name]: I think [name]Mabel[/name] is great. :slight_smile:

[name]Annabel[/name]: One of my all-time favorites…

[name]Viola[/name]: Ooh…I think [name]Viola[/name] is so, so pretty. (Are you thinking Vy-ola or Vee-ola?)

[name]Ivy[/name]: I really like [name]Ivy[/name]…

[name]Paloma[/name]: I think [name]Paloma[/name] is lovely…

[name]Isla[/name]: I really like [name]Isla[/name]…

[name]Leah[/name]: Not a fan of [name]Leah[/name]…

[name]Romilly[/name]: I like [name]Romilly[/name], and the nicknames [name]Milly[/name] and [name]Romy[/name].

[name]Darcy[/name]: Not a fan of [name]Darcy[/name]…

[name]Elody[/name]: I love [name]Elody[/name], but spelled the authentic [name]Elodie[/name].

[name]Leah[/name], [name]Darcy[/name], [name]Lana[/name], and [name]Thea[/name] are my least favorite, and of the remaining names (I love them all!), uh, um…I honestly can’t pick just one! I’ll vote for [name]Annabel[/name], [name]Evangeline[/name], [name]Viola[/name], and [name]Ivy[/name]. ([name]How[/name] popular is [name]Annabel[/name] in the UK? If it’s too popular, you could always stick it in the middle.)

What about [name]Anya[/name]?

My favorites in order:

[name]Annabel[/name] ([name]Annabelle[/name])
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Amber[/name]
Eveangeline
[name]Tilly[/name]

Also, what about [name]Layla[/name] instead of [name]Lela[/name]?

Thank you all very much. I think we have a final list now:

[name]Evangeline[/name]
[name]Camille[/name]
[name]Isla[/name]
[name]Amber[/name]
[name]Ariel[/name]
[name]Alisia[/name]

My favorite are [name]Evangeline[/name] and [name]Isla[/name] but am worried that both are getting very popular?
Please let us know your opinions on this slightly different list - Thanks

I think [name]Evangeline[/name] and [name]Isla[/name] are super adorable. [name]Isla[/name] is my number one name right now :wink: Respectively they are at 450 and 623 on the social security list. While they are definitley more popular than they used to be, its not overly so. I think you’ll be able to go many places without running into another little [name]Evangeline[/name] or [name]Isla[/name]. I think the only time it really becomes a problem is when the popularity is under 100. Then you run the risk of having a few in your child’s class. That’s the thing that bothers me the most. And while both these names are increasing in popularity, I don’t see them soaring to under 100 any time soon. I say, these two names are on your short list for a reason. Go for it! :slight_smile:

[name]Happy[/name] Naming :slight_smile:

I think [name]Isla[/name] and [name]Evangeline[/name] are gorgeous. :slight_smile: If you’re worried about popularity, with so many Evelyns/Evas/Evies in the world, I think [name]Evangeline[/name] may feel more popular than it actually is, especially if you call her [name]Evie[/name]. (I think it’s stunning, though!) Does either [name]Isla[/name] or [name]Evangeline[/name] sound better with your last name? I think [name]Camille[/name] is a fantastic choice, too. :slight_smile:

I like [name]Mabel[/name]! Bring it back!

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Isla[/name] but it really is becoming very popular here in the UK. So perhaps go for [name]Evangeline[/name] if the popularity thing concerns you :slight_smile:

[name]Gracie[/name]

[name]Leela[/name]/[name]Lela[/name] (pronounced lee-lah) Afraid that people would still pronounce it [name]Layla[/name]…
[name]Evangeline[/name] I like…with nn [name]Evie[/name]
[name]Thea[/name] not sure of pronounciation - it [name]Tea[/name]? [name]Thea[/name]? [name]Thay[/name]-uh?
[name]Luna[/name] - Reminds me of a pizza place for some reason!
[name]Anais[/name] — not my favorite on your list but good!
[name]Scarlett[/name] I Like it
[name]Freya[/name] - My favorite on your list. My niece is named Freyja. people do pronounce it [name]Freesia[/name] for some reason, but I love the name. [name]Unique[/name]!
[name]Annabel[/name] Not a fan of the common nickname ([name]Anna[/name], [name]Ann[/name])
[name]Amber[/name] - feels too 80’s to me…but still pretty.
[name]Charlotte[/name] I like [name]Charlotte[/name] a lot!
[name]Mabel[/name] - was thinking about this for a girl also - cute!
[name]Kitty[/name] - not my style
[name]Tilly[/name] not my still either.

[name]Evangeline[/name] - so pretty
[name]Camille[/name] - one of my favorites, love nn [name]Millie[/name] or [name]Cammie[/name]
[name]Isla[/name] - so pretty
[name]Amber[/name] - where I live, [name]Amber[/name] is dated
[name]Ariel[/name] - I like it
[name]Alisia[/name] - I prefer [name]Ailsa[/name], [name]Alisa[/name], [name]Alice[/name]

My favorite are [name]Evangeline[/name] and [name]Isla[/name] but am worried that both are getting very popular? Not popular where I live.

[name]Lela[/name] and [name]Luna[/name] are just beautiful!! I love them. Good [name]Luck[/name]!

by far the BEST name is [name]Isla[/name]! I love the fact it means island and it’s so pretty.

It’s not getting too popular at all.

If anything the name [name]Lila[/name] (from [name]Kate[/name] [name]Moss[/name]'s daughter) is getting very popular.