Your Own Traditions

What traditions would you like to start for your own family? They could be inspired by your own childhood, or just something you think sounds nice. Are there any traditions/special things from your partner’s family that you would like to pass on to your kiddos?

4 Likes

When I was little, my mom maintined “fairy houses” for me and my best friends. I’d write letters to the fairies and leave them under the toad houses in the garden. [name_f]My[/name_f] mom (unbeknownst to me at the time, of course) would write back as the fairies, always on a little pink heart shaped note with glitter. I’d often get little tiny gifts like tiny toy toads or packets of confetti. I want her to bring this back with my kids. It was so special.

13 Likes

I always wished that my family did matching PJs on [name_u]Christmas[/name_u]! That is a must for me!

4 Likes

I would like my children to open one present on [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] [name_f]Eve[/name_f] that one being from her parents & being an ‘expensive’ gift then the rest to be opened [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] [name_u]Day[/name_u] from Father [name_u]Christmas[/name_u]. I would also like to do a proper [name_f]Easter[/name_f] Egg [name_m]Hunt[/name_m] as we never did that as children.

As for Jewish traditions I don’t think I would change the traditions my mum put in place.

1 Like

I’ve always wished my family did a more formal shabbat! Nothing too fancy, just challah and lighting candles on [name_m]Friday[/name_m] night though. And I’d like to teach my future kids how to garden every spring.

2 Likes

One tradition that I want to start with my kids is that of opening gifts on [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] [name_f]Eve[/name_f], and then (besides [name_f]Santa[/name_f]’s presents!) leaving [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] [name_u]Day[/name_u] for [name_m]Jesus[/name_m] and His birth. [name_f]My[/name_f] mother, sweet as she is, always wanted to give my sister and I the moon, so often [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] became only about gifts and not about the reason for the season.

2 Likes

My sisters and I have already split up the holidays between us :joy:. Sorry to our future spouses, I guess they’re not going to be able to see their families much haha. I called dibs on [name_u]Christmas[/name_u], [name_f]Leah[/name_f] gets [name_f]Easter[/name_f], and [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] is doing Thanksgiving.

For my [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] holiday, I expect it will look a bit different. First, it will definitely be more secular. I know that’s sort of an oxymoron when talking about [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] but I think there’s enough about [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] that isn’t based on Christianity that I feel comfortable celebrating it even though I’m no longer [name_u]Christian[/name_u]. Also, I think not celebrating something around that time would be isolating to my kids and I love [name_u]Christmas[/name_u], despite not being religious (and I also don’t know what my spouse will believe). Of course, I wouldn’t ban religious intent from my household on [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] or anything like that but I won’t be going to church, I don’t expect to have a nativity scene set up, and I’ll place the focus completely on family rather than religion. On [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] morning, my mom always makes homemade cinnamon rolls and pecan rolls, which I will continue! We also have our favorite [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] cookies which I hope to combine with a future spouse’s cookie recipes (and my sisters’ spouses recipes!) to have just way too much sugar in the house haha. We also make key lime pie for dessert on [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] [name_f]Eve[/name_f] and blackberry jam cake (my great-grandma’s recipe) on [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] [name_u]Day[/name_u], which I want to continue.

We have a tradition of hiding a pickle ornament that I made in second grade on the tree. The story is that “[name_f]Santa[/name_f]” hides it somewhere in the tree overnight and then all the kids have to try to find it. Whoever finds it first either gets to open the first present or pass out all the presents. I love this and I think it will be fun to continue, especially since my sisters both want kids so hopefully there will be a lot of cousins running around the house.

I think on [name_u]Christmas[/name_u], I’ll let my kids open presents they received from relatives, but the present from mom and dad will be trips. Instead of buying expensive toys or electronics, I’d rather put that money towards traveling and giving them experiences rather than material objects. This is definitely something different between myself and my parents.

As for the other holidays, my sisters have promised to keep up some traditions! [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] wants to make the traditional Thanksgiving meal in our family. [name_f]Leah[/name_f] wants to organize an [name_f]Easter[/name_f] egg hunt and will continue our tradition of having cheese and chocolate fondue as [name_f]Easter[/name_f] dinner (we do this on [name_u]New[/name_u] Years [name_u]Day[/name_u] too).

One thing I’d love to do that my family doesn’t is themed Halloween costumes. [name_f]My[/name_f] mom always made our Halloween costumes but unfortunately, I can barely fix a hole in my shirt. I love family Halloween costumes so I’d love to do that, at least until my kids get tired of it!

2 Likes

I was obsessed with fairy houses when I was younger so I would’ve loved that!

2 Likes

You guys hide the pickle?! Are you from the south?? I’ve never known another family who hides the pickle! [name_f]My[/name_f] parents still inside that we try to find the pickle on [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] morning. :joy:

2 Likes

I mean technically we live in [name_f]Florida[/name_f] :joy: but I made the pickle in Michigan! It was a project in my World Cultures class… I think the teacher said it was [name_m]Dutch[/name_m]? We still try to find the pickle too, even though us kids are now 21, 17, and 13 lol. I think it would be so much fun if I have kids and my sisters have kids (maybe invite future hubby’s family and kids over? Who knows!) and we have to have multiple trees with the pickle hidden somewhere between them.

1 Like

I pulled some of the saved ones out and found naming advice, straight from the fae realm!

4 Likes

I hope to be recreate such loveliness for my kids someday! :fairy:t2::fairy:t2:‍♀

2 Likes

This is adorable :heart_eyes:. I’ve never heard of fairy houses, but now I feel like I’ve missed out on something wonderful.

1 Like

We observe some world days at home, like international museum day, international book day, earth day, women’s international day, world SCI awareness day (which just went by), Autism awareness, world Down Syndrome day and world bee day. It began with the museums and the bees, since DH is a museum curator and bees seemed like a fun thing to teach the kids about…but we’ve stopped collecting international days…between these and the Jewish calendar, I would say there is such thing as “too many holidays”, but they feel very much like our traditions.

Growing up, my family didn’t celebrate Halloween, so it is a new tradition for me!

3 Likes

Boxer [name_u]Day[/name_u] will be a designated reading day. We will give each other books and read all through the night (after a raucous [name_u]Christmas[/name_u], of course). Also, I love [name_m]Little[/name_m] Women and love the idea of donating to others on [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] [name_u]Day[/name_u].

Candles are such a mood, so those will probably be (safely) placed around the house for holidays.

And since we’re of the generation that’s collectively breaking generational traumas, I am going to make it a tradition where I don’t say bad things about myself or my abilities. I don’t want to model low self-esteem that will sink into the hearts of my children and tear down their confidence.

2 Likes

Yes!!! It’s so important that kids learn that having insecurities is normal, but that they have intrinsic value and beauty that can never be taken away.

2 Likes

There are many of them, but I don’t have enough time to write all :neutral_face: Let’s start with this one. From my childhood (and now, actually, I’m still young :grin:)

Crying time: What a sad name, right? We’re not so creative :joy: Actually it’s one of the moments I feel very relaxed and calm. We (me & siblings) do this with my dad whenever we feel bad. Basically, child cries, parent strokes their hair, but doesn’t say anything. When child stops crying and gets calm, they start talking. And, even they’re bad, we don’t get any punishment for things we confess at crying time. So the child doesn’t feel guilty and talks whatever makes them sad.

4 Likes

That is genuinely one of the most beautiful, special things I have ever heard. :heart:

2 Likes

My husband and I began a blackout day from all media and technology when we were dating. We turn off all screens (phone, computer, television) and spend the day outside, or in-doors reading and playing cards. We also unplug almost everything that uses electricty, sometimes light candles or cuddle together in the dark. We still don’t have a specific day, because we work and study, but we do it at least once a week.

We’ve decided to do the same for our children. I don’t want them to have too many screens around as babies, but we also don’t want them to see us glued to our phones or grow up with the television as a source of white noise. So we’re going to do blackout days for them, for as long as they’ll accept them.

5 Likes

@AerieEerie that is the most precious thing ever! I love it! Growing up my grandma had this big Gnome book and we would spend hours reading it. I loved faeries and gnomes growing up. I totally wanna do faeries notes with my daughter now!

1 Like