Your thoughts on Lyle/Lyall/Lisle

I’ve always been fond of the name [name]Lyle[/name] and I’d love to know:

1. Whether you like/dislike the name and why
  2. Whether you prefer [name]Lyall[/name] or [name]Lisle[/name] and what difference spelling variations make to your perception of the name (does one spelling strike you as more or less attractive/accessible/sophisticated?)
  3. In terms of siblings, what names do you think go with [name]Lyle[/name]?

Thanks!

Hello, [name]Araminta[/name]. I too love the name [name]Lyle[/name]. Are you thinking of it for a girl or a boy? I definitely prefer the [name]Lyle[/name] spelling for either gender though it feels especially male. I did know a woman once with this name and thought it worked well though with so many baby [name]Lila[/name]'s today, it may get confusing.

My brother-in-law is named [name]Lyle[/name], and it definitely works on him. His sib-set: [name]Lawton[/name], [name]Ashlan[/name] and [name]Landon[/name]. My [name]MIL[/name] and FIL weren’t going for the L names with the boys, but it somehow ended up that way.

1. I love the name [name]Lyle[/name] for a boy. It has a nice, relaxed feel.
  2. The only spelling I like is [name]Lyle[/name]. It’s accessible, easy-to-spell, and familiar. The other spellings seem convoluted.
  3. I think you could go a lot of different ways with sibs. The first name that popped to mind is [name]Arlo[/name], which has a similar relaxed feel. Looking at your sig, I think [name]Willa[/name], [name]Olive[/name], and [name]Clementine[/name] would work well, as would [name]Calvin[/name], [name]Milo[/name], [name]Rafferty[/name] and [name]Finn[/name].
  1. I don’t like it. It sounds heavy on my tongue (I hope that makes sense), I don’t like the “Lie” syllable, and ALL I can think of is [name]Lyle[/name] from [name]George[/name] of the Jungle!
  2. [name]Lyall[/name] looks the worst - Totally looks made up. I don’t think [name]Lisle[/name] would get pronounced correctly as first glance . . . most people wouldn’t notice the aisle aspect RIGHT away. Go with [name]Lyle[/name].
  3. [name]Jackson[/name], [name]Noah[/name], [name]Ethan[/name], [name]Owen[/name], [name]Logan[/name], [name]Liam[/name] (if you’re into the same first letter thing), etc. - to list some common options.

I don’t like [name]Lyle[/name] on a boy; I think of [name]Lyle[/name] [name]Lyle[/name] Crocodile and the word “liar.” [name]Lyall[/name] looks completely made-up to me, and [name]Lisle[/name] looks feminine; [name]Lyle[/name] would be the spelling I’d use. I don’t see [name]Lyle[/name] with surnamey or modern choices, but those rather grandpa-chic names: [name]Lyle[/name], [name]Malcolm[/name], [name]Quincy[/name], [name]Willem[/name], [name]Dennis[/name], [name]Perry[/name], [name]Vincent[/name] or [name]Victor[/name], [name]Richard[/name], [name]Francis[/name].

(I do like [name]Lisle[/name] on a girl, though I think it does risk some pronunciation problems during introductions (but then people would know it after that). I’d pair it with other unisex/surnamey choices.)

If [name]Lyle[/name] is going to be the full name then I like this spelling the best. It’s a great name. I think [name]Lisle[/name] only works as a nn for [name]Carlisle[/name], but otherwise it just seems like an unnecessary risk of mispronunciation. =]

Thanks for the feedback.
[name]Pam[/name], I’m definitely not expecting! If you knew how old I am you’d be laughing :). And I’d only consider [name]Lyle[/name] for a boy.
Your ideas about names that ‘go’ with [name]Lyle[/name] are interesting. Ellenelle and frustratedauthor’s suggestions are much more up my alley than jess0044’s but I’m glad I asked - I guess [name]Lyle[/name]'s a name that doesn’t really set the tone for a group of siblings.
And on the [name]Lyle[/name]/[name]Lyall[/name]/[name]Lisle[/name] question, you’ve all confirmed by preference for [name]Lyle[/name], so thanks again.

[name]Hi[/name]
I like the name a lot. It was my top pick for a while (I’m pregnant) but got vetoed with “it’s Ok, I guess”! I like that it mean’s ‘the island’, from French, l’isle. But I definitely prefer the standard spelling–[name]Lyle[/name]. The guy who did our chimney is named [name]Lyle[/name] and I thought it was a great old-school sounding name. I think you’re right, that the siblings could be just about anything as long as not too similar (not [name]Lionel[/name], [name]Kyle[/name], etc.) I liked the suggestion of [name]Calvin[/name]… contains an L but not as the first letter, and the other vowel sounds are different.