Your Ultimate Boy Name

If you had a son today, and you knew that he was going to be your only child or your last child, what would you name him and why?

1 Like

[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]August[/name_u] (maybe not [name_u]August[/name_u], but it’s what I always circle back to when I try to find something new). I’m honestly so mad about how popular [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] has become, but I just can’t find another boy name that has such a hold on me and I have such a strong connection with. Plus…[name_u]Teddy[/name_u] [name_m]Bear[/name_m]! Come on :heart_eyes:

9 Likes

That’s hard but probably [name_m]Kurt[/name_m] [name_m]Rafael[/name_m], it’s so handsome and I keep going back to it.

1 Like

Harvey [name_m]Leopold[/name_m]

1 Like

Bastian. It’s the name of the protagonist in The Neverending [name_u]Story[/name_u], one of my favourite books from childhood. As a book lover, I love that the [name_m]Bastian[/name_m] enters into the world of the novel he’s reading and that it celebrates imagination and the power of literature. It’s also similar to [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m], one of my all time favourites, but obviously much less popular. And I love the nicknames [name_m]Bas[/name_m] (soft ‘s’) and Bash. If only my partner liked it!

9 Likes

Rodrigo, Roi

For a long time, I had [name_m]Guillermo[/name_m], Guille on my top 1 for a boy if I ever have a baby boy. But [name_m]Rodrigo[/name_m] honors my granny and she passed away recently so right now [name_m]Rodrigo[/name_m] feels like the perfect name. And it has few lovely nicknames as [name_m]Roi[/name_m] or Rodri, or [name_m]Ruy[/name_m].

3 Likes

Tristan [name_m]Sholto[/name_m]!

Tristan to me is soft and gentle while also having a slight ruggedness to it. It’s full of adventure and sweetness. [name_m]Sholto[/name_m] is full of enegry and gives me the vibes of the outdoors and exploring. I found it in one of my favourite books too ([name_u]North[/name_u] and [name_u]South[/name_u]) so it’s got that extra layer lf meaning too

Also, it would mean I’d get to use both of my favourite boys names

2 Likes

It would 100% be [name_m]Wesley[/name_m]! I’m not sure about the mn… I might mash it with my [name_u]August[/name_u] combo and do either [name_m]Wesley[/name_m] [name_u]August[/name_u] or [name_m]Wesley[/name_m] [name_u]Brook[/name_u].

3 Likes

I go back and forth between [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] and [name_m]Daniel[/name_m]… Both of them are special honor names for me. (I suppose since I honored my mother with my ultimate girl name, I feel like I’m leaning toward [name_m]Daniel[/name_m] atm.)

[name_m]Daniel[/name_m] [name_m]Gilbert[/name_m] - [name_m]Daniel[/name_m] is my father’s mn, and I think it’s such a strong classic with a sweet sound. [name_m]Gilbert[/name_m] because I think I’d regret it if I didn’t use it (regardless of how well this combo flows). [name_m]Gilbert[/name_m] is literary and charming, and I am simply head-over-heels for it!

([name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]Kit[/name_u] is a close runner-up, though, I must say.)

3 Likes

This is slightly easier than the girls. I think he’d very likely be [name_m]Ewan[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m]. [name_m]David[/name_m] is my late dad’s name. [name_m]Ewan[/name_m] is just a beautiful & underused Gaelic name that goes really well w/our ‘[name_m]Mac[/name_m]’ last name & all of my little Gaelic named nephews. [name_u]Julian[/name_u] [name_m]David[/name_m] is a close runner up.

5 Likes

If I knew that my one and only child was a son, I would name him Shepherd Rhema [name_u]Pax[/name_u].

Shepherd is for the word itself. A shepherd is a person who guides. I love that the name would how my son that the [name_m]Lord[/name_m] is his shepherd, but also that he is in control of his own destiny. He has the power to change his stars, help other people, and make a difference in the world. The Bible says that the [name_m]Lord[/name_m] is our shepherd, and we shall not want. That is such a beautiful lesson for any young man to remember that everything has a purpose and it’s all for the greater good, even if we don’t ever understand why. I also love that [name_m]Alan[/name_m] [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] would share his name, even as a surname, because he made history when he went into space. I want my son to remember that he can do great things, that he can reach for the stars and make things happen if he works hard enough. For me, to name a son [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] would be to encompass all my hopes and dreams for him as his mother. It would be my gift for him, a symbol of my faith in him and his purpose.

Rhema is Latin for word, often describing the word of God. Rhema would be a reminder for my son that words have power, and that they should always be used with great consideration. The things that we speak echo out into the universe, and they never disappear. I want my children to speak wisely. Rhema is also a hope for [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] that he is always guided by the word of God. He can turn to prayer for peace and the Bible for guidance, but within his own soul, he has to answers already. I want him to trust himself always. Together, [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] Rhema means “guided by the word of the [name_m]Lord[/name_m].”

Pax is another Latin word, meaning peace. Above all, I pray that all [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] does, he does with peace in his heart. I never want him to act out of anger or fear, I want him to have peace in his heart about his decisions, and I want him to always stand firm in doing whatever makes him happy.

Shepherd Rhema [name_u]Pax[/name_u].

Guided by God’s word towards peace.

17 Likes

Shepherd [name_u]Evin[/name_u] [name_u]Taylor[/name_u] . I have loved [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] as long as I can remember. [name_u]Evin[/name_u] would honour my FIL and [name_u]Taylor[/name_u] is my maiden name

2 Likes

Caspian [name_m]Sherlock[/name_m] [name_m]Walter[/name_m]. I’ve had doubts before with [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] rapidly going up in popularity, but I love him too much at this point. He’s adventurous, imaginative, handsome, and the perfect name in my opinion. I love the idea of being able to use [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] and say it every day. Initially having a whole literary combo ([name_m]Walter[/name_m]’s from my favourite book), and using [name_m]Sherlock[/name_m] was a GP thing, but I do think I’d actually go for it now. All the names mean so much to me, and they go great together, so why not?

5 Likes

Casper [name_m]Robert[/name_m] [name_m]Worden[/name_m] “[name_m]Cap[/name_m]”

Casper is just a name that I love. I think the sound is so enchanting and I’ve not found another boys name that can rival its magic yet. I also love the nickname [name_m]Cap[/name_m], which has a bonus [name_f]Marvel[/name_f] connection through [name_m]Captain[/name_m] [name_u]America[/name_u]. [name_m]Robert[/name_m] and [name_m]Worden[/name_m] are honour names.

2 Likes

Harrison [name_m]Grant[/name_m]. I love these names. [name_m]Harrison[/name_m] reminds me of a young, charming. And adventurous person (think [name_m]Harrison[/name_m] [name_m]Ford[/name_m]). And [name_m]Grant[/name_m] is traditional but very cute. I think of someone who is funny and worldly yet gentlemanly and self-possessed (think [name_u]Carey[/name_u] [name_m]Grant[/name_m]).

I also really am torn because I love [name_u]Hudson[/name_u] [name_u]Wallace[/name_u] and [name_m]Judah[/name_m] [name_m]Silas[/name_m]. But my hubby doesn’t love those names.

3 Likes

Probably [name_u]Douglas[/name_u] [name_m]Joseph[/name_m]. I’m fine with the nicknames [name_m]Doug[/name_m] and [name_m]Dougie[/name_m] so it ticks the box of longer name with nicknames I don’t hate. [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] is a family name and special to me so I want to use that.

Ideally, I’d use [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] as a first but it’s very popular and I’ve taught a [name_m]Joseph[/name_m]/Joe or 2 (or 3… or 4…) and that does put me off a bit. It’s hard when names have to pass the teacher test.

3 Likes

At the moment, [name_u]Dexter[/name_u] [name_u]Atlas[/name_u]. It’s always been between [name_u]Dexter[/name_u] [name_u]Atlas[/name_u] and [name_u]Milo[/name_u] [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] for me but I feel like [name_u]Dexter[/name_u] is probably my favourite boy’s name ever.

I love the nn [name_m]Dex[/name_m] as well. It’s just perfect.

2 Likes

Edmund [name_u]Blaise[/name_u] [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] (aka [name_m]Enda[/name_m])

Edmund has been my number one boy name since I first read The Chronicles of [name_f]Narnia[/name_f] as a six year old. The reasons I love it are too numerous to list. [name_u]Blaise[/name_u] is a nod to my academic interest in saints (I get weirdly nerdy about the history of religion in the UK & [name_f]Ireland[/name_f]). [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] is an honorific for my brother, although I have entertained swapping it for [name_m]Ossian[/name_m] (loved for the myth and the “little deer” meaning) on occasion. [name_m]Enda[/name_m] is another Irish connection - I like the bird meaning, and that it’s an Irish name that won’t give him too much grief when spelling/pronouncing it for non-Gaelic speakers.

1 Like

Fox [name_m]Robert[/name_m]

2 Likes

[name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] [name_m]Canaan[/name_m] for sure :heart:

1 Like