Zealand?

What do you think?

Sorry, I am going to be negative on this one. I just think of [name_u]New[/name_u] Zealand and want to add [name_u]New[/name_u].

2 Likes

Thanks

I donā€™t love it but I can see it being like a [name_u]Leland[/name_u] kind of name! So I might suggest spelling it different so it gets less connected with the country unless thatā€™s what you were going for like a [name_f]Scotland[/name_f], [name_f]Ireland[/name_f], etc.

1 Like

Yeah, I have nothing against country/city names, but Iā€™m not a fan of this one Iā€™m afraid.

1 Like

Iā€™m not a huge fan of place names personally, but I do think Zealand could work! I think [name_f]Zee[/name_f] is a cute nn option too. As long as you donā€™t mind the connection with [name_u]New[/name_u] Zealand, as that will probably be most peopleā€™s first association!
If names like [name_u]London[/name_u], [name_f]India[/name_f], and [name_f]Ireland[/name_f] can be used, thereā€™s no reason Zealand canā€™t be!

2 Likes

Itā€™s not too bad. I think it could grow on people!

1 Like

This is inspired by the Labrant family right? Considering how many people have been making fun of the name, Iā€™d never use it. I donā€™t like most country names anyway though.

2 Likes

The Labrant Family just named their son Zealand and Iā€™m in love with it tbh. It reminds me of an edgier version of [name_u]Leland[/name_u]. I would totally use it.

4 Likes

I actually love the original Zeeland spelling but I donā€™t have any [name_m]Dutch[/name_m] heritage

1 Like

yup! haha

If people can use [name_f]Ireland[/name_f], [name_f]Scotland[/name_f], [name_m]Britain[/name_m], [name_f]India[/name_f], etc., I donā€™t see why someone couldnā€™t use Zealand.

1 Like

Being from [name_u]New[/name_u] Zealand myself, I personally 100% find the name unusable I just think of my country.

I think Zealand is really sweet as a name and iā€˜m so in love with [name_f]Zee[/name_f] as a nn.

Iā€™m from [name_u]New[/name_u] Zealand. It would be a cool name. It sounds modern, but it has a lot of history. As long as youā€™re respectful towards the history of both Zealand of which [name_u]New[/name_u] Zealand was named and [name_u]New[/name_u] Zealandā€™s history itself, I donā€™t really see an issue?
Perhaps people will ask you if you have a connection to the name, or assume you do, which could be uncomfortable if you donā€™t.
Also, itā€™s one of those words that every accent just seems to say differently, which could be annoying. I personally get agitated at [name_u]America[/name_u]ā€™s over exaggerated pronunciation of Zealand. Theyā€™re like Zeelaand. Here we say it more like Zulland. So, yeah quite a few points of concern but also, itā€™s a cool and unique name

1 Like

Terrible. [name_m]Just[/name_m] terrible. Iā€™m from [name_u]New[/name_u] Zealand too and I just canā€™t. No child should have ā€˜landā€™ in their name!

Edit: this comment is directed at the Coles who just used it, not the OP!

1 Like

I dislike place names in general, Iā€™d prefer [name_f]Zelia[/name_f] and [name_f]Zelie[/name_f] over Zealand, or even Zealan.

I think it has a cool vibe about it but I would never use it unless [name_u]New[/name_u] Zealand was a special place to me and even then Iā€™d only use it as a middle name. I did, at one point, really like country and place names e.g. [name_f]Vienna[/name_f], [name_u]California[/name_u] and [name_f]India[/name_f], but now I think theyā€™re a bit tacky - there are so many other names that are actually names.

1 Like

I kind of like it

I donā€™t mind it if it is intentional, if as @vera.valentina said, you are truly honoring a heritage or fond association with the country. For me, itā€™s a bit too much ā€œon the noseā€; like I can imagine using [name_f]Canada[/name_f] or [name_u]America[/name_u] as a middle name if it was very meaningful for some reason, but as a first name I probably wouldnā€™t.

Plenty of other male names have the ā€œlandā€ ending - [name_u]Leland[/name_u], [name_m]Roland[/name_m], etc.