Zephyr as a middle name

Hi,

I’m shortlisting middle names at the moment for both genders. I have a first name in mind and not looking for any help on this one :grimacing:

I’m considering pairing a traditional, grandparent Irish name with something like [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u] as a middle name. I think it’s pretty cool with the mythology and I’m a professional writer so I think i could get away with an artsy influenced middle name.

I already have one LO who has two traditional style names (1 Irish and 1 [name_f]English[/name_f]). I think siblings should be named the same group (Irish first names) but I’m particular about what I like.

I don’t like “en” ending names or Americanised names.

Thanks for any opinions on [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u] :grinning::grinning::grinning:

1 Like

Zephyr is a cool and sparky middle!

1 Like

I think [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u] is a cool middle, especially if it’s balancing a more classic FN

1 Like

Zephyr is really cool! I like its quirky feel :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really like [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u]. [name_u]Nature[/name_u], mythology and spiky letters like Z are all big trends at the moment so it’s definitely a very “now” name, but it has a really appealing sound and treads the line between brave and wearable with panache!

My only question would be, since you sound like you’re quite keen on the idea of sibling names feeling cohesive stylistically, are you happy to go in a different direction for the middle name this time? I personally think it’s totally fine, especially in the middle, but is it likely to irk you down the line?

1 Like

I love it as a middle, it’s currently on my GP list (as is [name_u]Zenith[/name_u]) and I think it works well.

1 Like

[name_m]Don[/name_m]'t know what that is-

What is it?

@katinka Oh you got me! :sweat_smile: This one could be a very hard sell, but I love the Z and nature theme like you do!

@skylerros

LO means little one/a child

My boy choice is Séamus. Sounds somewhat alliterative.

3 Likes

Seamus (sorry I don’t know how to type the accent) [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u] is so cute! This spelling of [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] also makes me not want to say seem-is sssoooooooo… :joy:

I wouldn’t naturally be attracted to [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u], but the more I look at and say it, the more I really do dig it. And it pairs so well with [name_m]Seamus[/name_m]. Curious, how “traditional” the existing LO’s name is, and if [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u] is exceptionally “out there” in comparison. Regardless, I don’t think it matters. It’s reserved for the middle, after all (though I think it’s a totally do-able, albeit bold choice, as a first. And Zep is such a cool nickname).

Not that you asked, but other Irish firsts that I think pair well with [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u] are:

Cian [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u]
[name_m]Eoin[/name_m]/Owen [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u]
[name_u]Niall[/name_u] [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u]
[name_m]Oisin[/name_m] [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u] (admittedly, this one is quite a guilty pleasure)

Zephyr is one of my all-time favorite names! I love it for a middle.

Zephyr is lovely!

@Hollyrow

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] :raising_hand_woman:t2: You’re on the right track with LO1 in terms of traditional Irish. For me, it’s usually the same names (and middle names) in the family tree. Name theft isn’t a thing with my family when there’s 6-7 [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]John[/name_m], and [name_f]Mary[/name_f] names (good old Irish names haha).

While I picked a traditional Irish family name for LO1, what most people consider traditional (like your [name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], [name_u]George[/name_u] style middle names) it was seen as “out there”.

I’m not down for a direct full copy/name for my kids - even if I want to honour tradition with a well loved family first name :grinning:

That said, [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u] would be considered “very out there and some” :grimacing::joy:.

I’m considering [name_m]Zachary[/name_m] as the other z name that I like. I didn’t like zeremiah (and can’t spell it properly which never helps :flushed:).

For a girl I would consider [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] as I am a professional writer and love video games… but this is off topic as it’s all about the boys!

I’m really surprised that people are loving [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u].

1 Like