1. Vintage Names for a Teenage Bookworm!

Time Period/ Location: Modern day, [name_f]Florida[/name_f]

Brief Plot: A seventeen-year-old bookish nerd always thought that love was something only to be real in the books that she read. This idea of love changes for her when [name_m]Luke[/name_m] enters her life. They fall in love and must face the last year of high school together, with the help of a few books along the way. The whole story is pretty cheesy, I know, but it’s something I am going to enjoy writing, not publishing. :wink:

Character Description:

• seventeen years old, senior in high school
  • quiet, shy, keeps to herself and her books
  • has long light brown waves of hair
  • wide, curious brown eyes
  • tall and lanky

Who named this character: Her parents, [name_m]Beckett[/name_m] and [name_f]Miranda[/name_f], named her. [name_f]Miranda[/name_f] is quite modern and very up to date with the world around her. On the other hand, [name_m]Beckett[/name_m] loves reading and vintage things, like his daughter.

Already Considerd: (I would still like an opinion of these names for my character)
[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] “[name_f]Addie[/name_f]” or “[name_u]Dell[/name_u]”
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] “[name_f]Bea[/name_f]” (still really considering…)
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]
[name_f]Imogen[/name_f] “[name_f]Gem[/name_f]”
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]

So obviously, I want a vintage name for her. Longer names with a cute nickname would really help! Thanks so much in advance! Also, here are a few pictures to get a good image of what she looks like: one two three

For this character, I really like [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] nn [name_f]Bea[/name_f], but that name has had a bit of a boom in the book world recently, so be cautious. I also really like [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] nn [name_u]Dell[/name_u]. The others are okay, just nms. To add, I would suggest:
[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] nn [name_f]Maggie[/name_f]
[name_f]Julia[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] nn [name_f]Nell[/name_f]
[name_f]Molly[/name_f]
[name_f]Johanna[/name_f] nn [name_u]Jo[/name_u]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Maura[/name_f]
[name_f]Vera[/name_f]

I think [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] would be a good fit! I also think that [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] would work, with nns such as [name_f]Beth[/name_f], [name_f]Liz[/name_f], [name_f]Lizzie[/name_f], and [name_f]Ellie[/name_f].

I like the idea of [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], and [name_f]Imogen[/name_f]. Maybe instead of “[name_f]Gem[/name_f]” you could nickname her “[name_f]Imo[/name_f]”.

Suggestions:

[name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] ([name_f]Emmy[/name_f])
[name_f]Estella[/name_f]
[name_f]Adeline[/name_f] ([name_u]Dell[/name_u])
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] ([name_f]Lottie[/name_f])
[name_f]Lydia[/name_f] (Liddy)
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f] ([name_u]Jules[/name_u])
[name_f]Isabella[/name_f] ([name_f]Belle[/name_f])
[name_f]Violet[/name_f] ([name_f]Letty[/name_f])
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] ([name_f]Dee[/name_f])

I think [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] would be a good name for the character.
or you could go with Adaliza (nickname [name_f]Ada[/name_f] or [name_f]Liza[/name_f]) I was going through my family tree one time and found that name from a relative of mine who lived in the 1800’s and fell in love with it.

@caitthegreat - I understand about the whole booming [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] thing, if you’re talking about Divergent. I like the suggestions of [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] and [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]!

@alchemicallypurplefairy - Sadly, there is already a character named [name_f]Liz[/name_f], so [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is out. :frowning:

@ninas1 - Yeah, I had some trouble finding the perfect nickname for [name_f]Imogen[/name_f]. None of them seemed right, so I went with [name_f]Gem[/name_f], just because.

@renrose - I actually am considering [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]. It sounds really good, and might just be the one! But, the nickname would probably be changed to [name_u]Cory[/name_u]. :slight_smile:

@violinlynn - Adaliza is a gorgeous name! I love it! It’s not the best for my character, but it’s a beautiful name! :smiley:

Okay, so after a lot of thought, I think that [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] is the one, with @renrose’s suggestion. It’s a perfect balance of clunky, yet cool, and I love the boyish nickname [name_u]Cory[/name_u]. Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread, but especially @renrose!!! :wink: