1996 England and Wales's Name Data 🇬🇧

So Behind the Name is another of my favourite name sites. They have recently updated England and Wales’s combined popularity data to the Top 1000 instead of only the Top 500 and I thought I’d pose a little question to you berries! :cherry_blossom:

The 80s and 90s are my two favourite decades for names. However, Behind the Name only starts their England and Wales combined popularity data from 1996 onwards so… using the new Top 1000 data from 1996 (this link), what would you name a son and a daughter?

Have Fun!
EleanorVintage :ballet_shoes:

2 Likes

[name_m]Hugo[/name_m] [name_u]Arthur[/name_u] [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]
or
[name_u]Henry[/name_u] [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] [name_u]Robin[/name_u]

[name_f]Philippa[/name_f] [name_u]Florence[/name_u] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] ‘Pippa’
or
[name_f]Tabitha[/name_f] [name_f]Verity[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]

I didn’t go for stereotypically 90s as some of my favourites are hiding in there :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

It is annoying that the ONS only started collecting/collating/publishing detailed analysis of names in 96 :frowning:

Anyhow, behindthename is not currently working for me, so I will be back when it is to comment!!

1 Like

BehindTheName isn’t working for me either, so dropping this post as a reminder to reply when it does!

1 Like

I’ll choose [name_u]Florence[/name_u] Sarah-Jane and [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] [name_m]Hugh[/name_m] this morning! :open_book::womans_hat:

2 Likes

Okay, it’s working now, so coming back!

Today, I’d go with [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_m]Felix[/name_m] and [name_f]Bronte[/name_f] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f]!

And, just for fun, if I translated the 2021 popularity of my current fave combos into their 1996 equivalents:

[name_u]Perry[/name_u] [name_m]Arran[/name_m] (Tristan Rafferty) and [name_u]Leoni[/name_u] [name_f]Alice[/name_f] (Mabli Charlotte) or [name_f]Kezia[/name_f] [name_m]Brodie[/name_m] (Una Adele)

2 Likes

[name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_u]John[/name_u] [name_u]Maurice[/name_u] & [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] [name_u]Florence[/name_u]

2 Likes

[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_m]Nikolas[/name_m] and [name_f]Saffron[/name_f] [name_f]Danika[/name_f] :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Too many of my favorites were on this list so I limited myself to the top 100 to narrow it down and would go for either [name_u]Henry[/name_u] [name_m]Peter[/name_m] or [name_u]Holly[/name_u] [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f].

1 Like

Tonight, I’m feeling [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_m]Lewis[/name_m] “Kit” & [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]. :blush:

1 Like

today, I’d go for…

[name_f]Felicity[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] “Lissy Jo” & [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] [name_m]Hugh[/name_m] “Freddie”

1 Like

Funnily enough I was able to create some of my top combos

[name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_u]Maxwell[/name_u] or [name_u]Kit[/name_u] [name_m]Roger[/name_m]

[name_f]Daisy[/name_f] [name_f]Frances[/name_f] or [name_f]Harriet[/name_f] [name_u]Louise[/name_u] “Hattie”

1 Like

[name_u]Albie[/name_u] [name_u]Clifford[/name_u] and [name_f]Jolene[/name_f] [name_u]Sheridan[/name_u]

1 Like

I’d name a son [name_m]Luc[/name_m] [name_m]Finnian[/name_m] [name_u]River[/name_u] (Luc at 445; [name_m]Finnian[/name_m] and [name_u]River[/name_u] well into the 700’s which is where I start to find most favourites)

A daughter: [name_f]Marianne[/name_f] [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] [name_f]Frances[/name_f] (I like too many names with R and N sounds! [name_f]Marianne[/name_f] at #502; [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] @ #103 and [name_f]Frances[/name_f] @ #161.)

I scrolled the full 1000 of the boys’ names and into the 500’s of the girls’ due to time constraints!

1 Like

[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] (#916 and #71) and [name_m]Jeremiah[/name_m] [name_u]River[/name_u] (#605 and #976)

or

[name_f]Felicity[/name_f] [name_f]Jasmine[/name_f] (#295 and #55) and [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Arthur[/name_u] (#369 and #234)

Super fun!!

1 Like

stephanie kate / bethany claire + alfie daniel :white_heart:

1 Like