1996 England and Wales's Name Data 🇬🇧

So Behind the Name is another of my favourite name sites. They have recently updated [name_u]England[/name_u] and Wales’s combined popularity data to the Top 1000 instead of only the Top 500 and I thought I’d pose a little question to you berries! :cherry_blossom:

The 80s and 90s are my two favourite decades for names. However, Behind the Name only starts their [name_u]England[/name_u] and [name_m]Wales[/name_m] combined popularity data from 1996 onwards so… using the new Top 1000 data from 1996 (this link), what would you name a son and a daughter?

Have Fun!
EleanorVintage :ballet_shoes:

2 Likes

[name_m]Hugo[/name_m] [name_u]Arthur[/name_u] [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]
or
[name_u]Henry[/name_u] [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] [name_u]Robin[/name_u]

[name_f]Philippa[/name_f] [name_u]Florence[/name_u] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] ‘Pippa’
or
[name_f]Tabitha[/name_f] [name_f]Verity[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]

I didn’t go for stereotypically 90s as some of my favourites are hiding in there :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

It is annoying that the ONS only started collecting/collating/publishing detailed analysis of names in 96 :frowning:

Anyhow, behindthename is not currently working for me, so I will be back when it is to comment!!

1 Like

BehindTheName isn’t working for me either, so dropping this post as a reminder to reply when it does!

1 Like

I’ll choose [name_u]Florence[/name_u] Sarah-Jane and [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] [name_m]Hugh[/name_m] this morning! :open_book::womans_hat:

2 Likes

Okay, it’s working now, so coming back!

Today, I’d go with [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_m]Felix[/name_m] and [name_f]Bronte[/name_f] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f]!

And, just for fun, if I translated the 2021 popularity of my current fave combos into their 1996 equivalents:

[name_u]Perry[/name_u] [name_m]Arran[/name_m] (Tristan Rafferty) and [name_u]Leoni[/name_u] [name_f]Alice[/name_f] (Mabli Charlotte) or [name_f]Kezia[/name_f] [name_m]Brodie[/name_m] (Una Adele)

2 Likes

[name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_u]John[/name_u] [name_u]Maurice[/name_u] & [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] [name_u]Florence[/name_u]

2 Likes

[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_m]Nikolas[/name_m] and [name_f]Saffron[/name_f] [name_f]Danika[/name_f] :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Too many of my favorites were on this list so I limited myself to the top 100 to narrow it down and would go for either [name_u]Henry[/name_u] [name_m]Peter[/name_m] or [name_u]Holly[/name_u] [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f].

1 Like

Tonight, I’m feeling [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_m]Lewis[/name_m] “Kit” & [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]. :blush:

1 Like

today, I’d go for…

[name_f]Felicity[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] “Lissy Jo” & [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] [name_m]Hugh[/name_m] “Freddie”

1 Like

Funnily enough I was able to create some of my top combos

[name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_u]Maxwell[/name_u] or [name_u]Kit[/name_u] [name_m]Roger[/name_m]

[name_f]Daisy[/name_f] [name_f]Frances[/name_f] or [name_f]Harriet[/name_f] [name_u]Louise[/name_u] “Hattie”

1 Like

[name_u]Albie[/name_u] [name_u]Clifford[/name_u] and [name_f]Jolene[/name_f] [name_u]Sheridan[/name_u]

1 Like

I’d name a son [name_m]Luc[/name_m] [name_m]Finnian[/name_m] [name_u]River[/name_u] (Luc at 445; [name_m]Finnian[/name_m] and [name_u]River[/name_u] well into the 700’s which is where I start to find most favourites)

A daughter: [name_f]Marianne[/name_f] [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] [name_f]Frances[/name_f] (I like too many names with R and N sounds! [name_f]Marianne[/name_f] at #502; [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] @ #103 and [name_f]Frances[/name_f] @ #161.)

I scrolled the full 1000 of the boys’ names and into the 500’s of the girls’ due to time constraints!

1 Like

[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] (#916 and #71) and [name_m]Jeremiah[/name_m] [name_u]River[/name_u] (#605 and #976)

or

[name_f]Felicity[/name_f] [name_f]Jasmine[/name_f] (#295 and #55) and [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Arthur[/name_u] (#369 and #234)

Super fun!!

1 Like

stephanie kate / bethany claire + alfie daniel :white_heart:

1 Like