1st Pregnancy!!! No Idea on the name.....

This is my 1st pregnancy and I have no clue where to begin when it comes to naming a child. What I do know is that I dont want my child to have a common name. I mean one of those names that everyone names their child. My boyfriend and I decided on Niyah originally for a girl but I work with about 10 people who either know a child named Niyah or named their child Niyah. I don’t like it at all. I dont want anything crazy but something that means something and also something that is a little unique. I want it to either begin with a J or an N. Any suggestions??? I need a girl and a boy name. Please help

[name]How[/name] unusual do you want your name to be? Like if it is anywhere in the top 1000 is that a no?

The name Niyah or [name]Nia[/name] has always reminded me of [name]Indian[/name] names (I have been going to [name]India[/name] since I was a child) so I thought I’d give some names that sound similar but are not common in the states. A lot of [name]Indian[/name] names, although they are beautiful, don’t really translate well, so I checked here on the site and they have a good list of ones that are easy and beautiful in English. Here are some of my favs that are unique but not insane.

Girl:
[name]Niara[/name] “nebula, mist”
[name]Nisha[/name] “[name]Night[/name]”
[name]Nila[/name] “[name]Blue[/name]”
[name]Nayana[/name] “beautiful eyes”

[name]Jarita[/name] “mother or legendary bird”
[name]Jivanta[/name] “giver of life”

[name]Nuri[/name] or [name]Nuria[/name] “fire” in arabic or hebrew has always been a name i liked (my horse’s name, i give my pets people names)

Boys:
[name]Navin[/name] “new”
[name]Narain[/name] “protector”
[name]Jahan[/name] “The world”

[name]Namir[/name] “leopard” (hebrew)

Also, if you just check around on some of the lists on this site, it could give you an idea of a few other names you like, and then if you post back with more, people will have more to go off of and will give you nice long lists :slight_smile:

Thank you for the names. To answer your question. The name does not have to be off the charts. I mean its ok if it has shown up on the top 1000 list. Its just that I don’t want to name my child something so common that when called there are five head turns in the grocery store aisle. But I do like [name]Nila[/name]. I just suggested that to my boyfriend. Still looking for something that jumps out at me. I want something that has a meaning rather than something I created to combine both of our names. Like [name]JaNiyah[/name].

I’ve found the names ranked between 300 & 500 on the SSA list here: http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/
are familiar to most but you’re unlikely to run across another one. You’ll not find personalised stuff out & about too, you’ll have to special order. I had to. My boys, [name]Leo[/name] & [name]Simon[/name] are heading for 23 this year, they were the only two in ther school named like that, [name]Jeremy[/name], [name]Brian[/name] & [name]John[/name] ruled in grammar school, so they fit in but stood out too. My daughter has a slightly more popular name, [name]Josephine[/name]'s in the 220’s but I’ve yet to run into one in real life under the age of 80. I know three little [name]Josephine[/name]'s online though, so they are out there. But it’s not saturated.

Follow that link out, choose to look at the top 1000 and surf between 250 & 550 and I’m sure you’ll find a few that appeal to you! (and remeber, any total numbers you see have to be divided by 50, for all the states. So [name]Josephine[/name]'s 1,538 divided by 50, brings that total to 30.76 per state, and if you live in a big state (well, I’m in MA, so everything’s pretty much bigger!) you’ll not likely run into another for a good while!

[name]Just[/name] thinking aloud here. I hope it helps!

I grew up with a [name]Jessamine[/name], and have always found it to be pretty and not common in the US. I think it’s more common in [name]England[/name]. For N, [name]Neve[/name] is pretty. Not sure of it’s popularity, though.

I grew up with a [name]Jessamine[/name], and have always found it to be pretty and not common in the US. I think it’s more common in [name]England[/name]. For N, [name]Neve[/name] is pretty. Not sure of it’s popularity, though.