2 Questions-can Jasper be a girls name & how can you get to a NN for Zac for a girl?

Hey guys,
I started a thread a week ago. I had just found out I was having a girl a week ago-very exciting! However I am not in love with any girls names!
I loved [name]Jasper[/name], [name]Zac[/name] or [name]Hugo[/name] for boys…
I had a bit of feedback but I don’t feel any closer to falling for a girls name…
So is [name]Jasper[/name] unisex?
And how can I get to the nn of [name]Zac[/name] for a girl?
Last question: Any other feedback most welcome!
Thanks!

1 Like

[name]Jasper[/name] “technically” is unisex since it’s a precious stone, that said it’s kind of like [name]Rose[/name]. You don’t use [name]Rose[/name] on a boy. I think [name]Jasper[/name] wouldn’t work on a girl… Also I don’t like [name]Zac[/name] for a girl either, it’s very masculine

Personally, I don’t think [name]Jasper[/name] sounds good for girls.
For [name]Zac[/name], perhaps [name]Zacaria[/name]?

No, [name]Jasper[/name] isn’t a unisex name. It can be a girls’ name in that you can name a girl [name]Jasper[/name], but you can also name a girl [name]Jonathan[/name], [name]Michael[/name], or Boy. I think it’s a very bad idea. I don’t like [name]Jasper[/name] for a boy- it reminds me of [name]Casper[/name] the friendly ghost and Jeepers and just sounds odd to me- and it’s a thousand times worse on a girl. It would be difficult and confusing to be a girl with a 100% masculine name, and as a woman with a unisex name, I can tell you that it’s not something I’d choose for myself. My suggestion is that you save [name]Jasper[/name] for if you ever have a son and keep searching for girl’s or more unisex names in the meantime. I think using a decidedly feminine name with a boyish short form is also a good way to go.

[name]Zakiah[/name] is a Hebrew name that could get you to [name]Zak[/name], and Zakiyaa is a related Arabic form. Zaklina is a Croatian and Polish version of [name]Jacqueline[/name] that could also work.

Suggestions for more feminine feminine names:
[name]Jasmine[/name]
[name]Piper[/name]
[name]Harper[/name]
[name]Jessamine[/name]
[name]Juno[/name]
[name]Ariadne[/name]
[name]Marlo[/name]
[name]Quinn[/name]/[name]Brynn[/name]
[name]Cleo[/name]/[name]Clio[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Sloane[/name]
[name]Reese[/name]
[name]Tatum[/name]
[name]Blythe[/name]
[name]Flannery[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]
[name]Adele[/name]
[name]Rose[/name]
[name]Carys[/name]
[name]Mavis[/name]/[name]Avis[/name]
[name]Bell/name
[name]Leonie[/name]
[name]Sylvie[/name]
[name]Louise[/name]/a
[name]Lucille[/name]

[name]Jasper[/name] could work, but if I saw it on a resume I would figure it was a male. Maybe [name]Jasmine[/name], [name]Jessamine[/name], [name]Micah[/name], [name]Vesper[/name], [name]Verity[/name], [name]Juniper[/name] or [name]Aster[/name]?
[name]Zac[/name] doesn’t have a feminine sound but maybe something like
[name]Zelda[/name] [name]Anne[/name] [name]Cecile[/name]
[name]Zooey[/name] [name]Amelia[/name] [name]Carmen[/name]
or some such thing could get you to the nn you want but give your daughter a more feminine option in case she grows up wishing for something that makes her gender obvious.

[name]Love[/name] [name]Jasper[/name] on a boy and I don’t mind it on a girl. It’s not uber manly, it’s soft which is what I prefer for boy names. Plus it’s a rock, rocks don’t have gender. But I do prefer it moreso on boys

I never liked [name]Zac[/name] so can’t help you there

I was going to suggest [name]Jupiter[/name] or [name]Juniper[/name] if you love [name]Jasper[/name]…[name]Jasper[/name] was on 101 Dalmatians as one of the crooks who works for Cruella Devile so it’s very old english [name]MAN[/name] name.

I love androgynous names - but [name]Jasper[/name] is just manly sounding…
I like the [name]Zak[/name] suggestions above…[name]Hugo[/name] is guys name and a notorious Hurricane from the 90’s so I think it sounds too manly for a little girl…or grown woman…

To answer your first question, NO, [name]Jasper[/name] is definitely not unisex.

To answer your second question (with a question), why would you want to call a little girl [name]Zac[/name]?

I think taz has some great suggestions other than [name]Jasper[/name]-- I would add [name]Jacinta[/name] to that.

[name]Jasper[/name] is all male to me. For [name]Zac[/name]…well, there is the Scandinavian name [name]Isak[/name] for girls, but it doesn’t have the Z sound. I knew a girl named this who pronounced it [name]Isaac[/name] though. I mean, if you’re set on going this route.

Congrats on your girl!
I would just give it time and keep searching…you [name]WILL[/name] find a girls name that you fall in love with, I promise.

It is my opinion that both [name]Jasper[/name] and [name]Zac[/name] would be horrible for a girl. To be honest, I would feel sorry for a little girl who had to live with those names. Save them for a possible future boy! But keep in mind I am not a fan of boys names on girls, so take my opinion with a grain of salt :slight_smile:

Maybe [name]Zakia[/name] or [name]Zalika[/name] to get to [name]Zac[/name]? But I have to add that I’m not a fan of giving a girl the nickname [name]Zac[/name] - it’s too firmly a boys name in my head. I also feel [name]Jasper[/name] is firmly a boys name for me.

There are so many great girlsnames out there, maybe you just need some more time to look? A few ‘different’ girls names suggestions you may not have come across yet but I think you might like are:
[name]Zanthe[/name]
Xyla
[name]Echo[/name]
[name]Jessa[/name]
[name]Joss[/name]
[name]Zen[/name]
[name]Zadie[/name]
Caspia
[name]Gypsy[/name]
[name]Hera[/name]
[name]Hero[/name]
[name]Juno[/name]
Zuma
[name]Zelda[/name]
[name]Bay[/name]
[name]Agate[/name]
[name]Cameo[/name]
[name]Lotto[/name]
[name]Rio[/name]
[name]Willow[/name]
[name]Zada[/name]
[name]Petra[/name]
[name]Yarrow[/name]
[name]Izara[/name]

I kind of like the idea of [name]Jasper[/name] on a girl, but I’m not sure how the reality would work. It is rising steeply for boys - I think if it were still in the rarer category I would feel more open to it - I associate it strongly with boys but it’s true, it’s a nature name so it could be done and [name]Jazz[/name] etc is a cool enough nickname for a girl.

I think you just haven’t looked enough though and will find something you like that is maybe more clearly in the girl or at least truly uni camp.

As for [name]Zac[/name], what about a Z name with an Ac- containing middle? [name]Zoe[/name] [name]Jacqueline[/name] could be [name]Zac[/name] (Zackie?) easily enough in my book. I’m not sure how much you’d get it to stick, but [name]Zac[/name] on a girl isn’t ideal to me either (but it’s fine enough as a nickname, sure), so in a way it’s great to give her another option.

Good luck!

I don’t follow your logic. [name]Jade[/name] and [name]Crystal[/name] are rocks, too. Doesn’t mean they’re unisex names.

It’s a technicality thing, technically rose and violet are unisex, society deems them as girl though. I think [name]Jasper[/name] fits along the same lines. It’s deemed as boy though technically unisex.

I’m honestly not trying to be argumentative, but I still don’t get it; all names are only male or female because society ‘deemed’ them to be so at some point - no?

I’ve seen this point made on Nameberry before:‘Oh, it’s a nature name, so it’s unisex’. If you look at it that way, then any name that doesn’t have biblical/mythological/religious roots, is unisex. So ‘technically’ [name]Bradley[/name] and [name]Kylie[/name] are unisex?

I don’t know. I have friends who ended up with boys names because their parents had the boy name picked out but not a girls…and they always showed a little sadness at the fact. I know it sounds silly but one of them even grew up with a whole complex that she should have been a boy. Obviously it’s an isolated moment, but I think you should just give yourself a bit of a breather to sort of have the time to let go of the boys names you had and then be able to come back in excited about finding a girl name.

Actually [name]Jade[/name]/Jaid is used for boys

When it comes to nature words ([name]Jasper[/name], [name]Bay[/name], [name]Leaf[/name], [name]Briar[/name]) people assign gender based one what “sounds” masculine/feminine (to them) because these things don’t have a gender. What makes [name]Forest[/name] masculine but [name]Meadow[/name] feminine? Why is [name]Fox[/name] feminine but [name]Wolf[/name] masculine? What gender is Tree or Wind or Hail? Why? There’s really no rhyme or reason to it.

If I met a little girl named [name]Jasper[/name] I would feel sorry for her to be perfectly honest. I would suggest going through the names of other stones or gems and see if you find something you like. [name]Pearl[/name] is a soft sounding more obscure gem name maybe you would like it? I also liked the suggestion of juniper. And as for [name]Zack[/name] I hate it for a boy and would pity a girl with the name. Sorry to sound mean I just don’t like it at all.

[name]Just[/name] word names, nature word names included. [name]River[/name], [name]Sky[/name], [name]Mercury[/name], [name]Rowan[/name], [name]Sage[/name], where if you look up the etymology there is no sex listed in its history. [name]Jasper[/name] comes from the same root as [name]Casper[/name], however, and has a long history of male use. The gemstone would be unisex if not for this.

1 Like

to me, i think [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] is a nice name for both girls and boys. of course, it is my opinion.