2023 SSA Name Data Analysis

Here is my annual analysis of the SSA name data! I’ve been doing this since the 2019 data came out, but I still haven’t found a great way to organize it, so I’m sorry if this is long and dense!

*Note: All data is based on the top 1000 only. The percentages have total births (including beyond the top 1000) as the denominator but the numerator only includes names within the top 1000, so realistically most percentages would be slightly higher if names outside the top 1000 were taken into account.

In 2023, 7.23% of boys received names in the top 10, as did 6.54% of girls. Interestingly, this percentage has decreased for both sexes every year I’ve calculated it, but this year it actually rose for boys!

For girls, 6.12% received names ending in the -ley sound, and 2.84% received names ending in the -lyn sound (this includes names like [name_f]Madeline[/name_f], that could be pronounced -lyn or -line). These percentages have been steadily decreasing each year since I first calculated them 2020, suggesting this trend is past its peak.

While -ley sounds specifically are decreasing, the percentage of girls receiving a name ending in an “ee” sound has increased slightly, to 16.37%. Knowing how many nicknames also end in “ee” sounds, a higher percentage of kids on the average playground or classroom probably go by “ee” ending names.

For boys, -s endings are still growing in popularity. 6.60% of boys received names ending in the letter S, and the percentage rises to 8.66% if you include names that end in an ‘s’ sound but different letters, like [name_m]Chase[/name_m] or [name_m]Jace[/name_m]. This is higher than last year, which in turn was higher than in 2020.

5.06% of boys received names ending in L. This increases to 5.24% with names like [name_m]Cole[/name_m] and [name_m]Kyle[/name_m] included.

The -den, -ton, and -son names also remain trendy for boys, at 2.84%, 2.30%, and 4.07%, respectively. (This includes creative spellings like [name_m]Jaxon[/name_m] and Landyn). However, these percentages all decreased from last year.

-N ending boys names are getting less popular overall. 22.04% of boys received names ending in the letter N, with the number rising to 22.43% when you names like [name_m]Dane[/name_m] that end in the N sound but a different letter. Back in 2019, that number was over a quarter of boys at 25.38%, and it has decreased each year since.

Despite it feeling like a common ending to me, only 2.71% of boys received names ending in T.

Finally, -er ending names are also decreasing in overall usage, despite occupational surnames feeling fresh. This year 6.64% of boys received these names. Meanwhile, only 2.09% of girls received -er ending names, which was also lower than last year. Both of these percentages include other spellings of -er names, like [name_f]Skylar[/name_f].

For vowel endings…
(:arrow_up: means it’s a higher percentage than last year, :arrow_down: lower, and :heavy_equals_sign: the same)

Girls
29.23% of girls received names ending in ‘a’ (including -ah endings) :arrow_down: (but only down by 0.01% :sweat_smile:)
12.34% of girls received names ending in ‘e’ :arrow_down:
2.54% of girls received names ending in ‘i’ :arrow_down:
0.74% of girls received names ending in ‘o’ (including names like [name_f]Willow[/name_f], [name_f]Margot[/name_f], etc) :arrow_up:
0.02% of girls received names ending in ‘u’ :heavy_equals_sign:
7.85% of girls received names ending in ‘y’ :arrow_up:

Boys
5.16% of boys received names ending in ‘a’ (including -ah endings) :arrow_up:
4.90% of boys received names ending in ‘e’ :heavy_equals_sign:
2.21% of boys received names ending in ‘i’ :arrow_up:
5.98% of boys received names ending in ‘o’ :arrow_up:
0.28% of boys received names ending in ‘u’ :arrow_up:
3.36% of boys received names ending in ‘y’ :arrow_down:

It’s interesting to me that most vowel endings for boys got more popular while most vowel endings for girls decreased!

As far as internal letters, L was a big letter this year for both sexes, with 36.50% of girls and 25.19% of boys receiving names containing the letter L.

The letter X, which feels cool and current to me, was actually only present in the names given to 2.92% of boys and 0.52% of girls. Both of these percentages are lower than last year.

The most common initials in the top 1000 were:
— Girls: A (171 names), M (101 names), and L (77 names)
— Boys: A (106 names), J (91 names), and C & K (tied at 77 names)

As far as word names, 9.49% of girls and 8.24% of boys received exact [name_f]English[/name_f] word names. I only included names that originated as words then became names, so this does not include names that are only coincidentally words (like [name_m]Will[/name_m] or Drew).

If you include creative spellings like [name_f]Harmoni[/name_f] and [name_f]Sevyn[/name_f], these percentages increase to 11.26% for girls and 9.58% for boys. These increased from last year, although they decreased from 2021 to 2022, so overall word names aren’t showing as much of an increase as I would have guessed.

As far as unisex names go, there are 82 names in both the masculine and feminine top 1000. This is two fewer names compared to 2022.

The names on both lists

[name_f]Alexis[/name_f], [name_m]Amari[/name_m], [name_m]Amiri[/name_m], [name_m]Angel[/name_m], [name_m]Ari[/name_m], [name_f]Ariel[/name_f], [name_f]Armani[/name_f], [name_m]August[/name_m], [name_f]Avery[/name_f], [name_m]Azariah[/name_m], [name_m]Baylor[/name_m], [name_m]Bellamy[/name_m], [name_m]Blake[/name_m], [name_f]Briar[/name_f], [name_m]Cameron[/name_m], [name_m]Carter[/name_m], [name_m]Chandler[/name_m], [name_m]Charlie[/name_m], [name_f]Dakota[/name_f], [name_m]Dallas[/name_m], [name_m]Denver[/name_m], [name_m]Drew[/name_m], [name_m]Dylan[/name_m], [name_f]Eden[/name_f], [name_m]Elliot[/name_m], [name_m]Elliott[/name_m], [name_m]Ellis[/name_m], [name_m]Emerson[/name_m], [name_f]Emery[/name_f], [name_m]Emory[/name_m], [name_m]Ezra[/name_m], [name_m]Finley[/name_m], [name_m]Hayden[/name_m], [name_m]Hunter[/name_m], [name_m]Jamie[/name_m], [name_m]Jordan[/name_m], [name_m]Kai[/name_m], [name_m]Kamari[/name_m], [name_f]Karsyn[/name_f], [name_m]Karter[/name_m], [name_m]Layne[/name_m], [name_m]Legacy[/name_m], [name_f]Leighton[/name_f], [name_f]Lennon[/name_f], [name_m]Lennox[/name_m], [name_m]Logan[/name_m], [name_m]Milan[/name_m], [name_m]Miller[/name_m], [name_f]Morgan[/name_f], [name_m]Murphy[/name_m], [name_m]Noah[/name_m], [name_f]Nova[/name_f], [name_m]Oakley[/name_m], [name_m]Ocean[/name_m], [name_f]Palmer[/name_f], [name_m]Parker[/name_m], [name_f]Peyton[/name_f], [name_m]Phoenix[/name_m], [name_m]Quincy[/name_m], [name_f]Quinn[/name_f], [name_f]Reese[/name_f], [name_f]Reign[/name_f], [name_f]Remi[/name_f], [name_m]Remington[/name_m], [name_m]Remy[/name_m], [name_f]Riley[/name_f], [name_m]River[/name_m], [name_m]Robin[/name_m], [name_m]Rory[/name_m], [name_m]Rowan[/name_m], [name_m]Ryan[/name_m], [name_f]Sage[/name_f], [name_m]Salem[/name_m], [name_m]Sawyer[/name_m], [name_f]Sevyn[/name_f], [name_f]Shiloh[/name_f], [name_f]Skyler[/name_f], [name_f]Sutton[/name_f], [name_f]Tatum[/name_f], [name_f]Taylor[/name_f], [name_m]Tru[/name_m], [name_f]Wren[/name_f]

Overall, I think my biggest takeaway every year is how many things that seem trendy go to such a small percentage of babies! What did you find most interesting in this year’s data? Anything surprising?

33 Likes

I look forward to this every year, thank you!

It surprises me that the percentage of boys named a top 10 name increased. I wonder if it’s due to the big increase of [name_m]Mateo[/name_m]. Some people go out of their way to avoid a top 10 name, but maybe parents of [name_m]Mateos[/name_m] chose it unsuspectingly?

I’m also surprised that the total number of unisex names dropped as it seems contrary to many other current trends.

4 Likes

I am so confused y’all. Popularity is so confusing lol. Please keep me in your thoughts in this difficult time.

Thank you for this analysis. I’m surprised about the word names!

4 Likes

I look forward to this every single year! I’m always impressed by your speedy ability to compile all this data!

2 Likes

Such fantastic and fascinating analysis! Loved reading this. If you don’t mind me asking, what was the percentage of boy names ending in S last year? I feel like this is becoming such a huge trend and would love to know how much it grew this year!

1 Like

Fascinating!

Yessss I was RIGHT about noticing the upward trend of s-final boy names! Hooray!

Thank you so much for compiling this!

2 Likes

Thank you all, I’m so glad people enjoy the analysis and look forward to it! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I could definitely see that being the case! I was also really surprised that the top 10% rose.

Of course! Last year it was 6.40%, or 7.55% with the -ce / -se endings included. I’m always surprised by how small some of the percentages are and how slowly they change. But I do think S ending names will stay on the rise!

2 Likes

[name_m]Can[/name_m] anyone explain why and how [name_f]Lainey[/name_f] shot up over 100 spots, almost cracked top 50, and got over 2,000 more births this year? I’ve rarely, if ever, seen the name [name_f]Lainey[/name_f] discussed on here and on other name forums. I was extremely surprised to see that it was the highest gaining name regardless of gender by a LANDSLIDE this year.

2 Likes

Thank you!!

1 Like

I saw someone on here earlier today (I forget who!) hypothesize that country singer Lainey Wilson, who was on the most recent season of Yellowstone, may have been an influence, which I agree with!

But also, Lainey has been rising fast for a few years now! In 2022, it ranked #174, in 2021 it ranked #252, and in 2020 it ranked #364. Really shooting up the charts!

I have also seen several parents using the names Eleanor, Elena, Delaney, etc. and using the nickname Lainey/Lanie/Laney!

4 Likes

I believe it was @jalexis15 who brought up [name_f]Lainey[/name_f] [name_m]Wilson[/name_m]! I completely agree – between Yellowstone and her taking home a ton of Country [name_f]Music[/name_f] Awards last year (looks like she won 5 awards!), she’s been in the news a lot. She also won a Grammy but I think that was in 2024.

2 Likes

I’m surprised that vowel endings and the lee/lyn endings are all decreasing for girls. I guess that means an uptick in other consonant endings like T, L, and S? [name_m]Or[/name_m] N endings that aren’t lyn. But looking at jus tthe top 100 I guess I can see it. I’m not sure exactly how you were counting but just the ones I’m 100% sure of I got to 17 which is almost a fifth of the top 100 so it is a pretty big trend, it just snuck up on me.

1 Like

i love this so much! i’m surprised to see reese in the top 1000 for boys — all the reeses i know are female! and i’d have thought there’d be so much more word names <3

1 Like

@sammaegre I’m also surprised by the decreased in vowel endings! But -ley/-lyn does feel a little past its peak to me.

Sorry, I’m a little confused as to what “the ones” are here – names ending in consonants?

@clair.de.lune It’s funny, I still think of [name_f]Reese[/name_f] as a primarily masculine name, even if it’s way more popular for girls. I think it’s the similarity to Reed/Reid, [name_m]Rhys[/name_m], etc.

2 Likes

Yes! Sorry, I didn’t phrase that well. I was refering to the names that end in a consonant. I wasn’t sure how you had classified things so I wasn’t counting -lyn, [name_f]Willow[/name_f] because you said you counted that as an O ending, any that end in a consonant sound but are spelled with a silent vowel, or ones that end in an H but sound like an -a.

1 Like

Thank you so much for putting this together :raised_hands:

I felt like I noticed a trend towards -ee sounds in the Newcomers as well!

Oh, the struggle. I remember trying to automate this with a digital dictionary only to realize bill and bob are verbs :upside_down_face:
edit: Did you consider Rose a word name for this? Because it didn’t originate as one but is used that way today

1 Like

Oh, I see! Thanks for explaining. I did count -lyn endings as consonants since they end in an N sound. I included those that ended with vowel sounds (like [name_f]Hannah[/name_f], [name_f]Willow[/name_f], etc) in the vowel endings since I think that’s more indicative of the trends. Especially with O endings, where so few actually end in the letter O. As far as silent vowels, I did include those in vowels as well since they do end with a vowel – it pretty much only applies to the “e” endings.

Yeah, the word names definitely require a human eye/a little subjective judgement which can be time consuming. :sweat_smile: I did count [name_f]Rose[/name_f], since I figure most American parents are using it in the context of it being a flower name, rather than knowing the original etymology.

2 Likes

I guess that’s true, I’m just surprised that a country singer that isn’t super mainstream would cause that much of an uprising for a name, especially that specific spelling. I have seen the nickname used occasionally before, but it was almost always spelled “Laney”.

I was fully expecting [name_f]Margot[/name_f] to rise like [name_f]Lainey[/name_f] did because of [name_f]Barbie[/name_f] and how everyone and their mom was talking about [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_m]Robbie[/name_m]. [name_f]Margot[/name_f] still rose up quite a bit, but nowhere on the level that [name_f]Lainey[/name_f] did.

I’m glad to see this again, thank you for sharing! These numbers help put things in perspective compared to my “view-from-the-ground”

1 Like