21 days and counting... no name

I am looking for some help naming our little girl who was born three weeks ago! My husband and I can not agree on anything…

I was hoping to name her for her Scottish heritage - her brother is named Talinn after his Estonian side. I love the name [name]Isla[/name]… middle name would be [name]Taylor[/name] but hubby is not into it…

We have also talked about [name]Tess[/name] (too many “T’s”) as well as [name]Sasha[/name] which is certainly not Scottish but it was pretty much the only name we both liked. Any suggestions are welcome - we must name this baby and soon!

I really love [name]Isla[/name], and am sorry your husband isn’t a fan of the name. :frowning: I hope that we can help you name your little girl! :slight_smile:

I see you like names with two syllables that end in A:

[name]Cora[/name]
[name]Calla[/name]
[name]Flora[/name] (listed under Scottish names here…)
[name]Fiona[/name] (ditto)
[name]Gemma[/name]
[name]Lila[/name]
[name]Mirabelle[/name] ([name]Mira[/name])
[name]Willa[/name] (for the Scottish [name]Willamina[/name])
[name]Zara[/name]

More Scottish names:
[name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Ailsa[/name]
[name]Elspeth[/name]
[name]Greer[/name]
[name]Tamerlaine[/name]: Perhaps as a middle name?

You may also like [name]Tamsin[/name] as a middle name…

Best wishes to you!

I love all of [name]Jill[/name]'s ideas. Here are some more plus some repeats of [name]Jill[/name]'s post. I will star my faves:
[name]Ailsa[/name] - I agree with [name]Jill[/name]!
[name]Anna[/name]*
[name]Audra[/name]* - used a lot in [name]Scotland[/name]. I love this name so much!
[name]Audrey[/name]
[name]Aurora[/name] nn [name]Rory[/name]
[name]Bianca[/name], not Scottish, but so pretty.
[name]Calandra[/name] nn [name]Callie[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name]* nn [name]Callie[/name], [name]Caro[/name], [name]Lena[/name] (why not?)
[name]Catriona[/name]
[name]Celeste[/name]* - not Scottish, but one of my faves!
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Claudia[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name]* nn [name]Cora[/name], [name]Corrie[/name], [name]Dilly[/name], [name]Delia[/name] - Welsh
[name]Dorothy[/name] nn [name]Dora[/name], [name]Dorie[/name], [name]Dot[/name], or [name]Dottie[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Elspeth[/name]
[name]Esme[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name] nn [name]Evie[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]* - I agree with [name]Jill[/name]!
[name]Frances[/name]* nn [name]Francie[/name] or [name]Franny[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name]
[name]Helen[/name], [name]Helena[/name] nn [name]Nell[/name]
[name]Hollis[/name]
[name]Iona[/name]*
[name]Irene[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]*
[name]Jane[/name]*
[name]Jean[/name] - I don’t think we’re ready for [name]Jean[/name] quite yet, but I really love this name. I think it has been popular in [name]Scotland[/name].
[name]Jillian[/name]* - I nearly chose this name for my own daughter.
[name]Katherine[/name] nn [name]Kate[/name], [name]Katie[/name], [name]Kitty[/name] - extremely popular but so beautiful.
[name]Keira[/name]*
[name]Kendall[/name]
[name]Kendra[/name]*
[name]Laura[/name]** - My daughter’s name.
[name]Lorna[/name] - Nameberry doesn’t endorse it, but I love the book “[name]Lorna[/name] [name]Doone[/name]”. Very Scottish!
[name]Lucy[/name]* - one of my faves!
[name]Mae[/name]
[name]Maeve[/name] - Irish
[name]Margaret[/name]* nn [name]Maisie[/name] - great Scottish name!
[name]Mary[/name]* nn [name]Polly[/name] or [name]Maisie[/name] - [name]Mary[/name], [name]Queen[/name] of Scots
[name]Meredith[/name]* - Welsh
[name]Moira[/name] - Irish
[name]Nora[/name]
[name]Olive[/name]
[name]Oona[/name]
[name]Patricia[/name] nn Paisha or [name]Patia[/name] - I just love [name]Patricia[/name]! [name]Even[/name] though it’s not in style.
[name]Rosalie[/name] nn [name]Rose[/name], [name]Rosie[/name]
[name]Rose[/name]*
[name]Rosemary[/name] nn [name]Romy[/name], [name]Rosie[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name]*
[name]Vivian[/name]* nn [name]Vivi[/name] - one of my faves
[name]Willa[/name]
[name]Zandra[/name] nn [name]Zandie[/name]

I would choose [name]Audra[/name], [name]Flora[/name], [name]Gemma[/name], [name]Margaret[/name] nn [name]Maisie[/name], [name]Mary[/name] nn [name]Polly[/name] or [name]Maisie[/name], [name]Lucy[/name], [name]Keira[/name], [name]Anna[/name], [name]Ivy[/name], [name]Clare[/name]/[name]Claire[/name], [name]Clara[/name], or one of [name]Jill[/name]'s choices. These names are all easy to live with.
[name]Hope[/name] this helps, let us know what you decide!

[name]Anabel[/name]
[name]Elaine[/name]
[name]Elspeth[/name]
[name]Fenella[/name]/[name]Finella[/name]
[name]Glenna[/name]
[name]Greer[/name]
[name]Iona[/name]
[name]Kenzie[/name]
[name]Kira[/name]
[name]Lilias[/name]
[name]Maisie[/name]
[name]Maura[/name]
[name]Rory[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name]
[name]Thora[/name]
Triona
[name]Victoria[/name]

[name]Carys[/name] isn’t Scottish (its Welsh) but its a beautiful name, at least in the right region… and I think it goes well with Talinn (which I love btw)- and as always, I like a lot of [name]Jill[/name]'s suggestions too! Marren and [name]Maeve[/name] might be nice choices too!

A few ideas - sorry for any repeats (I love some of the names already mentioned) :
[name]Ailsa[/name]
[name]Catriona[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name] nn [name]Maggie[/name]
[name]Jessie[/name]
[name]Jean[/name]
[name]Elsa[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name] nn [name]Cora[/name] (not particularly Scottish, but I love it)
[name]Willamina[/name] nn [name]Willa[/name]
[name]Abigail[/name]
Donalda
Donaldina
[name]Aifric[/name]
[name]Morag[/name]
[name]Effie[/name]
[name]Iona[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name]
Finnella
[name]Fionnuala[/name] (can be anglicised to Fionnola)
[name]Caoimhe[/name] (can be anglicised to Keavy) - this is pronounced kee-va in [name]Ireland[/name], but I think kee-vee in [name]Scotland[/name]
Deoiridh (has a grave accent on the ‘o’)
[name]Kenna[/name]
Lachina (lack-een-a)
[name]Lorna[/name]
[name]Rhona[/name]
[name]Mairead[/name]
[name]Maura[/name]
[name]Moira[/name]
[name]Sorcha[/name] (sor-sha)
[name]Una[/name].

I haven’t mentioned most Scottish forms of English names, as they tend to just have very confusing spellings (Aileas for [name]Alice[/name]) and not sound any different …

They also have a penchant for feminisations of masculine names which you wouldn’t ordinarily think of … like [name]Kenna[/name], Lachina and Donalda/Donaldina that I mentioned, and others such as [name]Ronalda[/name] and [name]Jamesina[/name].

Good luck!

Thanks everyone for responding… this was the first time I have ever posted on anything!

We have named her [name]Ellyn[/name] [name]Taylor[/name] but she will go by [name]Ellie[/name] (which is actually very popular in [name]Scotland[/name] I have discovered).

Anyway, thanks again!

I think [name]Tess[/name] is fine, even if your son’s name begins with a T. It’s not like you have five “T” children. I really like this name.

I also really like the suggestion of [name]Audra[/name]/[name]Audrey[/name]

I can’t wait to visit Estonia next [name]May[/name] so I think it was a brilliant idea to give your son the name of the capital, Tallinn. Why not do that for your daughter too eg [name]Sindi[/name] is a town that dates back to 8500 BC and you could incorporate that into the girl’s name [name]Lucinda[/name] nn [name]Lucy[/name].

Google all the towns there to get an idea, similarly a Scottish city eg Edinburgh as a middle name spot only as it is a unisex name you could use [name]Eden[/name].

[name]Lucinda[/name] [name]Eden[/name]

PS [name]Isla[/name] [name]Taylor[/name] both have the ‘a’ sound ending so it doesn’t flow well.

Oops I am TOO late. However, if you haven’t registered yet please spell as [name]Ellen[/name], and btw I love this name.