2nd guessing solid choice. Thoughts?

Ideally, I’d love to honor two women who are dear to me: [name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_u]Leigh[/name_u] and [name_f]Marlene[/name_f] [name_f]Joanne[/name_f]. I was thrilled and satisfied with the name [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Susanne[/name_f] because [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] also honors my grandma [name_u]Lou[/name_u] and I loved the Chronicles of [name_f]Narnia[/name_f] ([name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_u]Pevensie[/name_u] is a main character) and [name_f]Susanne[/name_f] smooshes [name_f]Susan[/name_f] and [name_f]Joanne[/name_f] getting me all my boxes checked. Plus hubby approved. Done!

And yet… now I can’t help but think I just love how [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Marlene[/name_f] sounds and feels. And I love the more obvious connection to [name_f]Marlene[/name_f]. But it breaks my heart to totally exclude [name_f]Susan[/name_f]. This is my 4th and last baby. [name_f]Susan[/name_f] means [name_f]Lily[/name_f] and [name_f]Lily[/name_f] [name_f]Marlene[/name_f] is so close on paper but just feels different and not like “the one.” I also have a [name_m]Will[/name_m] and that feels close in sound to [name_f]Lily[/name_f]. I have a pattern of one syllable names/nn for my kids and [name_f]Sue[/name_f] totally fits but just feels too dated.

Any advice or reassurance would be so appreciated!

What about [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] or [name_u]Marlowe[/name_u]? [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] [name_u]Marlowe[/name_u] would be a gorgeous way to honor them.

I think [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Marlene[/name_f] is gorgeous? Would you be open to adding a second middle name?

[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Marlene[/name_f] [name_f]Susannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Marlene[/name_f] [name_f]Lillian[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Marlene[/name_f] [name_f]Lily[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Marlene[/name_f] [name_f]Susan[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] [name_f]Marlene[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Marlene[/name_f] [name_u]Leigh[/name_u]

This might be too much of a stretch for you, but could [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] honor [name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_u]Leigh[/name_u] with the L from [name_u]Leigh[/name_u] and the “uc” sound from [name_f]Susan[/name_f]? [name_m]Just[/name_m] a thought. FWIW, I like both [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Susanne[/name_f] and [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Marlene[/name_f]!

3 Likes

[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Marlene[/name_f] is gorgeous and the [name_u]Lee[/name_u] sound could be a nod to [name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_u]Leigh[/name_u]?

I think I prefer [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Susanne[/name_f] though - it ticks the boxes and feels like a solid choice - plus [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Sue[/name_f] or just [name_f]Lu[/name_f] make cute nn!

[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_u]Marian[/name_u] or [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Marianne[/name_f] also came to mind - a nod to [name_f]Susan[/name_f] and [name_f]Marlene[/name_f], keeping some of the sounds you like from [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Marlene[/name_f]. Or even [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Lilliana[/name_f]/[name_f]Lillian[/name_f]/[name_f]Lillianne[/name_f]

Ultimately though, I think [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Susanne[/name_f] is great

1 Like

Well, [name_f]Marlene[/name_f] does technically have the sound of “[name_u]Leigh[/name_u]” in it, but perhaps that’s not obvious enough.

Hmm…[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Marleigh[/name_f] is a little too rhyme-y.

I understand that it’s tough to not be able to honor everyone you want to. Nearly all of my combos honor at least one family member in some way, and I know it will be hard because I’m not going to have 20 kids, which means I won’t be able to honor everyone that I love. So I do understand your concerns.
I really think [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] is darling and it sounds like the perfect choice for you, so I wouldn’t give that up. And, honestly, if you love [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Marlene[/name_f], I would encourage you to stick with it.

[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Susanne[/name_f] is really lovely, too, so whichever way you decide will be a good choice.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this could help! :slight_smile:

1 Like

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

I think that even if your other kids only have one middle name, I’d go ahead & do two middle names for this little one. [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Marlene[/name_f] [name_f]Susan[/name_f]…perfect! This way you very obviously honor both special women. And it sounds adorable. I love [name_f]Lucy[/name_f].

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I like the suggestion of [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Marlene[/name_f] [name_f]Susanna[/name_f].
There’s no reason why your 4th child can’t have 2 middles even if your others don’t.

1 Like

I second [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Marlene[/name_f] [name_f]Susanna[/name_f] since it will be your last bubs :slight_smile:

Thanks so much for your input, everyone! Ts true I’ve never ventured into two middle territory with my others and I worry [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Marlene[/name_f] [name_f]Susan[/name_f] (two syllable last name) feels a little like a list of names rather than one flowing name. I’ll keep thinking about it though! I have 6 months to settle on my final choice. Thanks for your reassurance of [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Susanne[/name_f]!

This was my thought. I’m not usually one for convoluted honour names but [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] seems to blend the sounds of [name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_u]Leigh[/name_u] rather effectively.

Ultimately, you have to decide whether including a clear nod to [name_f]Susan[/name_f] or using the name you love most is more important to you.

That’s not a loaded question, by the way. Honouring important people trumps name preferences for some people, and that’s fine. But equally, choosing a name that truly feels special to you is just as valid a priority when naming a child. You need to think which approach feels right to you, for this child.

2 Likes