50 names to read aloud — lend us your voice!

I was born in the midwestern USA but was raised around the world due to my parents’ line of work and ended up with a weird blended accent. So I recorded this twice: once with my natural accent and once with my over-enunciated, fake midwestern accent (pretty sure I’m pronouncing some of these wrong either way lol).

My natural accent: 50 Names (read with my natural accent) - Clyp

My midwestern accent: 50 names (read with my midwestern accent) - Clyp

there you go! I live in Tauranga, [name_m]New[/name_m] Zealand ([name_u]Micah[/name_u] i pronounce the Hebrew way as i’m Jewish). BTW I apologise for the TERRIBLE audio quality

Mid-Atlantic/East Coast American here. Here’s mine: Names Pronunciation - Clyp

[name_m]Hi[/name_m]! I’m from [name_m]Washington[/name_m] State in the USA, so the [name_m]Pacific[/name_m] Northwest. And here is my recording.

This is a really interesting thread, and a few of my favorites were on the list so it was interesting to hear others pronouncing them. :slight_smile: The one I had the most trouble with is [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] because I always want to pronounce it uh-rule-ee-uh but I’ve seen time and again that this isn’t the correct way, haha.

Bumping this because I’ve just stumbled across it again and I thought some of our newer members might like the chance to participate too :hugs:

[name_m]Feel[/name_m] free to suggest any additional names you’d like me to add!

2 Likes

This is a great idea! I’m going to do it tomorrow so I’ll leave this comment here so I can easily find the thread later :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here’s mine! [name_u]Brooklyn[/name_u] [name_u]New[/name_u] [name_m]York[/name_m]- Turkish, [name_f]English[/name_f], and [name_u]French[/name_u].

2 Likes

Here’s mine! I’m also from [name_f]England[/name_f]. Originally a Northern lass but I’ve lost my accent (:sob:) as I’ve travelled around. Some of the names I was unfamiliar with so I went with my first guess!

1 Like

@dejectedpiglet You have a lovely voice! Very soothing :blush:

@floatinthesky I’ve lost quite a bit of my original accent too, apparently. I grew up in Leicestershire but married a southerner. [name_f]My[/name_f] kids say “BAAAATH” and “GRAAAASS”, the horror :scream:

I think I ought to re-record mine at some point because my pronunciation of a couple of these seems to have changed over the past two years!

4 Likes

what are the ones you want to hear the most? Cause I am considering doing this

Any you like! The master list is in my OP :point_up:but you can just pick and choose the ones you want to read if you don’t want to do them all (or even make your own list!)

1 Like

I decided to do these names:
girls:
[name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]
[name_u]Endellion[/name_u]
[name_f]Eilonwy[/name_f]
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]
[name_f]Isolde[/name_f]
[name_f]Saoirse[/name_f]
[name_f]Zelie[/name_f]

boys:
[name_m]Cassius[/name_m]
[name_u]Elias[/name_u]
[name_m]Endymion[/name_m]
[name_u]Micah[/name_u]
[name_u]Noel[/name_u]
[name_u]Rhian[/name_u]

I might delete this in a few days for privacy reasons but here it is!
If you would like me to do any more, just ask.

3 Likes

@EJpuddlejumper
I tagged you to ask how you recorded your voice but then I figured it out so nevermind :slight_smile:

Here’s mine: Emma's profile on Clyp

Btw I’m from the southern US but I don’t have much of an accent since my parents grew up in [name_m]Britain[/name_m]. I also didn’t say [name_m]Thierry[/name_m] or [name_m]Ivo[/name_m] bc I’m not sure how to pronounce them.

2 Likes

This is so fun to listen to!!! I just listened to @EJpuddlejumper read her list and I only pronounce 3 or 4 the same way. :smiley: It is quite interesting

3 Likes

Here’s mine

[name_m]Born[/name_m] in the Northeast USA, now live in the Southeast USA.

1 Like

Hey guys! I’ve been recently uploading to this thread, but I just came across this one! I thought I’d send my own recording of pronunciations from @katinka’s list. I’m from Michigan in the US.

1 Like

[name_m]Just[/name_m] did a little voice recording in another thread and now I’m on a roll! (Un)fashionably late to this trend but here are the names in my NZ accent.

2 Likes

You have a lovely voice, @alatari :blush:

1 Like

@alatari I have to agree with you on [name_m]Cassius[/name_m]. I prefer [name_u]Cass[/name_u]-ee-us or [name_m]Cash[/name_m]-us as well.

1 Like

Here’s mine! I’m from the [name_u]Southern[/name_u] US ([name_u]Texas[/name_u])