A Brother for Silas and Ezra?

Our third baby boy is due in a few days, and we are still struggling to choose his name! We have two boys (Silas and Ezra). For each of them, we waited until after birth to choose their names, and I felt so much pressure to decide in the hospital. Learning from past experiences, my pregnancy-long goal with this little one is to decide on a name before we arrive at the hospital. I really just want to be able to enjoy his first few days of life without worrying about the “perfect” name.

Onto our naming criteria:

  • Both of my older sons have names with a nature connection (Silas has the forest connection and Ezra’s middle name is Wells). We want the first or middle name to have a nature connection.
  • Both boys also have a name with a biblical tie . It’s not a trend that I’m sure I want to continue for the third child, but I (again) don’t want him to feel disconnected from the others.
  • While I thought I would be a “meaning” or “origin” person with my names, it turns out I’m more interested in the phonetics. I want to love the sound of the name since that’s what you live with so often. I like that both of my boys have “softer” sounding names, and they pair nicely with our last name.

Potential first names:

  • [name_m]Judah[/name_m] (nickname Jude): We’ve had this name in the running since naming our first son. It has a personal connection for us since my husband and I first met on an excavation in [name_m]Israel[/name_m] (the Judean foothills). I love writing the name out, but I’m not as in love with the sound of [name_m]Judah[/name_m]. It also seems like [name_m]Judah[/name_m] is so often suggested alongside [name_m]Silas[/name_m] and [name_m]Ezra[/name_m] on name lists, and I don’t want it to feel like our name choices are just generated from an algorithm (if that makes sense).
  • [name_m]Asa[/name_m] : This name is new to us with this pregnancy. We both love it, but do you think [name_m]Ezra[/name_m] and [name_m]Asa[/name_m] are too similar for brothers? We are super close to my mom, and her middle name is [name_f]Ada[/name_f]. It might be nice to create a little honor tie here with this name.
  • [name_m]Hollis[/name_m] : We like the nature name element here. I like how this name sounds with our last name. It feels connected in spirit to [name_m]Silas[/name_m]. I feel like it could have either a rugged vibe or a preppy vibe.
  • [name_m]Kyrie[/name_m] (nickname Kai): We recently added this name to the list. I’m not a basketball fan, but I really appreciated the vibe. It feels fresh to me. It has a biblical tie through its Greek origin without being overtly biblical. We would pronounce it like Ky-ree. I like the sound, but I’m a bit worried the sound is too strong next to [name_m]Silas[/name_m] and [name_m]Ezra[/name_m]. .
  • [name_m]Brooks[/name_m] : I somewhat wish we’d saved [name_m]Wells[/name_m] for this third child rather than using it as a middle name. [name_m]Brooks[/name_m] gives a similar vibe, and I like the flow. Again, it does feel like it has a slightly different tone than [name_m]Silas[/name_m] and [name_m]Ezra[/name_m]. I’m not sure they “go” in the way that some of the others do.

Possible name combinations:
[name_m]Judah[/name_m] [name_m]Hawthorne[/name_m]
[name_m]Judah[/name_m] [name_m]Alder[/name_m]
[name_m]Asa[/name_m] [name_m]Hawthorne[/name_m]
[name_m]Asa[/name_m] [name_m]Thoreau[/name_m]
[name_m]Hollis[/name_m] [name_m]Jude[/name_m]
[name_m]Hollis[/name_m] [name_m]Bram[/name_m]
[name_m]Kyrie[/name_m] [name_m]Brooks[/name_m]
[name_m]Brooks[/name_m] [insert middle name suggestion here - lol]

Sorry for the long post! We are looking for any advice, suggestions, or preferences. Thanks in advance!!!

3 Likes

[name_m]Judah[/name_m] [name_m]Alder[/name_m] is cool!

Others:

[name_m]Forrest[/name_m] [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m]
[name_m]Callum[/name_m] [name_m]Osias[/name_m] (it’s a Greek reference to salvation) or you could also go with [name_m]Jonah[/name_m] [name_m]Osias[/name_m] as [name_m]Jonah[/name_m] also means “dove.”
[name_m]Rhodes[/name_m] [name_m]Adam[/name_m] / [name_m]Adam[/name_m] [name_m]Rhodes[/name_m]
[name_m]Robin[/name_m] [name_m]Jacob[/name_m]
[name_m]Reuben[/name_m] [name_f]Sage[/name_f]
[name_m]Andrew[/name_m] [name_m]Murphy[/name_m]

Hopefully these help! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am not big on repeat endings for siblings and some of your middle ideas are great and should be bumped up to firsts. I suggest:

[name_m]Jude[/name_m] [name_m]Hawthorne[/name_m]
[name_m]Hawthorne[/name_m] [name_m]Judah[/name_m]
[name_m]Bram[/name_m] [name_m]Alder[/name_m]
[name_m]Brooks[/name_m] [name_m]Levi[/name_m]
[name_m]Levi[/name_m] [name_m]Hollis[/name_m]
[name_m]Alden[/name_m] [name_m]Judah[/name_m]

1 Like

From your list of first names, my absolute favorite is [name_m]Judah[/name_m]! The soft sounds, biblical and nature connections, and even the overall vibe of the name match flawlessly with your boys – and it’s honestly kind of a good thing that they sound as though they could’ve been generated together in my opinion. [name_m]Judah[/name_m] [name_m]Hawthorne[/name_m] is stunning! Alternatives to [name_m]Judah[/name_m] could be [name_m]Jude[/name_m], [name_m]Judas[/name_m], [name_m]Jonah[/name_m], [name_m]Jonas[/name_m], or [name_m]Jones[/name_m].

[name_f]My[/name_f] runner up choice would be [name_m]Brooks[/name_m]. [name_m]Asa[/name_m] and [name_m]Hollis[/name_m] feel too close to [name_m]Ezra[/name_m] and [name_m]Silas[/name_m], and I think the sharp sounds of [name_m]Kyrie[/name_m] stand out too much against the others. [name_m]Brooks[/name_m] feels like a nice balance of soft nature, but also strength as well. I like the combos [name_m]Brooks[/name_m] [name_m]Hawthorne[/name_m], [name_m]Brooks[/name_m] [name_m]Elijah[/name_m], [name_m]Brooks[/name_m] [name_m]Abram[/name_m], or [name_m]Brooks[/name_m] [name_m]Abel[/name_m] to solidify a biblical connection.

A few more suggestions just in case: [name_m]Josiah[/name_m], [name_m]Isaiah[/name_m], [name_m]Malachi[/name_m], [name_m]Rhodes[/name_m], [name_m]Jules[/name_m], [name_m]Bennett[/name_m]

1 Like

Your sons have wonderful names!

I adore [name_m]Judah[/name_m] or just [name_m]Jude[/name_m] as a brother for [name_m]Silas[/name_m] & [name_m]Ezra[/name_m]. It’s the most natural fit from your list, I love the personal meaning behind it for you and your husband, and I would’ve suggested it if you hadn’t. But I get what you mean about the “algorithm” kind of feeling.

I do think [name_m]Ezra[/name_m] and [name_m]Asa[/name_m] are pretty close… at least, close enough to get twisted in your mouth when you’re calling them together multiple times a day. But I thought it was interesting when you were mentioning that it could honor your mom because her middle name is [name_f]Ada[/name_f]. Have you considered [name_m]Adam[/name_m]?

[name_f]Love[/name_f] all your nature middle ideas.

Some suggestions, since you mentioned them:

[name_m]Abel[/name_m]
[name_m]Alexander[/name_m]
[name_m]Asher[/name_m]
[name_m]Cade[/name_m]
[name_m]Garrett[/name_m]
[name_m]Henry[/name_m]
[name_m]Jayce[/name_m]
[name_m]Jonah[/name_m] - “dove”
[name_m]Joseph[/name_m]
[name_m]Levi[/name_m]
[name_m]Reid[/name_m]
[name_m]Theo[/name_m]

1 Like

Nice list so far!

[name_m]Judah[/name_m] → cool and gentle at the same time and I like how it feels meaningful to you. I don’t think it feels generic :slight_smile:

[name_m]Asa[/name_m] → charming and bright, gentle but distinctive. I think [name_m]Ezra[/name_m] and [name_m]Asa[/name_m] could work, though maybe [name_m]Asa[/name_m] as a middle?

[name_m]Hollis[/name_m] → sleek and rugged all at once and I like the sound

[name_m]Kyrie[/name_m] → distinctive and unexpected - I think it could work with [name_m]Silas[/name_m] and [name_m]Ezra[/name_m]

[name_m]Brooks[/name_m] → snappy and cool - I think it gives the same gentle but strong feel of [name_m]Silas[/name_m] and [name_m]Ezra[/name_m]!

[name_m]Loving[/name_m] the combos:

[name_m]Judah[/name_m] [name_m]Hawthorne[/name_m]
[name_m]Asa[/name_m] [name_m]Hawthorne[/name_m]
[name_m]Hollis[/name_m] [name_m]Bram[/name_m]

I’d suggest: [name_m]Brooks[/name_m] [name_m]Asa[/name_m], [name_m]Brooks[/name_m] [name_m]Abel[/name_m], [name_m]Brooks[/name_m] [name_m]Adam[/name_m], [name_m]Brooks[/name_m] [name_m]Leon[/name_m], [name_m]Brooks[/name_m] [name_m]Malachi[/name_m]

A couple of ideas:

[name_m]Roman[/name_m]
[name_m]Boone[/name_m]
[name_m]Ellis[/name_m]
[name_m]Abel[/name_m]
[name_m]Jonah[/name_m]
[name_m]Kai[/name_m]
[name_m]Jett[/name_m]
[name_m]Evan[/name_m]
[name_f]Marlowe[/name_f]
[name_m]Otto[/name_m]
[name_m]Abram[/name_m]
[name_m]Luca[/name_m]
[name_m]Teddy[/name_m]
[name_m]Oscar[/name_m]
[name_m]Leland[/name_m]
[name_m]Samson[/name_m]
[name_m]Shepherd[/name_m]
[name_m]Ansel[/name_m]
[name_m]Micah[/name_m]
[name_m]Harley[/name_m]
[name_m]Callum[/name_m]

Definitely don’t go with [name_m]Judah[/name_m] if you don’t like the sound! You could always just go with [name_m]Jude[/name_m] as a full name or put it in the middle as you did with [name_m]Hollis[/name_m] [name_m]Jude[/name_m].

I do think [name_m]Asa[/name_m] and [name_m]Ezra[/name_m] are a bit close.

I don’t think [name_m]Hollis[/name_m] not being biblical should be an issue - you can always use a biblical middle name. But I would maybe think [name_m]Silas[/name_m] and [name_f]Hollie[/name_f] are a bit too close in sound.

[name_m]Kyrie[/name_m] does sound much… harsher? than [name_m]Silas[/name_m] and [name_m]Ezra[/name_m]. You could balance it out with a softer middle name or just put it in the middle.

I honestly think [name_m]Brooks[/name_m] goes fine together with [name_m]Silas[/name_m] and [name_m]Ezra[/name_m]! But you could always pair it with a soft and biblical first/middle.

Thoughts on your combos

[name_m]Judah[/name_m] [name_m]Alder[/name_m] - how about the similar [name_m]Jude[/name_m] [name_m]Adler[/name_m]?

(Adler sounds strong, but also sleek and elegant - similar vibes to [name_m]Wells[/name_m], I feel. And it means “eagle” so it maintains that natural connection)

[name_m]Asa[/name_m] [name_m]Hawthorne[/name_m]
(Honours your mum, literary and natural - though if you’re worried about [name_m]Asa[/name_m] and [name_m]Ezra[/name_m] being too close, I actually prefer [name_m]Hawthorne[/name_m] Asa)

[name_m]Hollis[/name_m] [name_m]Jude[/name_m]

(no complaints here - though again, I prefer the sound of [name_m]Jude[/name_m] Hollis)

[name_m]Kyrie[/name_m] [name_m]Brooks[/name_m]

(feels a bit mismatched with the others to me personally)

[name_m]Brooks[/name_m] [name_m]Judah[/name_m]

(I’m not sure I feel like [name_m]Judah[/name_m] softens [name_m]Brooks[/name_m] like you’d like it too - it feels quite heavy and weighty)

If I was in your shoes, I think I’d go with [name_m]Hawthorne[/name_m] [name_m]Asa[/name_m]. Ticks of all your boxes, and by moving [name_m]Asa[/name_m] to the middle, you avoid confusion with [name_m]Ezra[/name_m]. I think [name_m]Silas[/name_m], [name_m]Ezra[/name_m], and [name_m]Hawthorne[/name_m] go really well together.

1 Like

I love Judah/Jude for you! [name_m]Jude[/name_m] has a soft sound to me and fits perfectly with your boys names. It also has a personal significance for you which I think is so important for having a name. I wouldn’t worry about it feeling like an algorithm. I think [name_m]Jonah[/name_m] would be a great alternative to [name_m]Judah[/name_m].

I also love [name_m]Asa[/name_m] and its personal connection to [name_f]Ada[/name_f]. I do not think [name_m]Ezra[/name_m] and [name_m]Asa[/name_m] sound too matchy or similar because of the different middle sounds in each.

When I see [name_m]Kyrie[/name_m], I pronounce it Keir-ee as we would in a church service and it sounds a bit more feminine to me next to your boys names. [name_m]Brooks[/name_m] seems a little harsh sounding to me and doesn’t seem like it fits with [name_m]Silas[/name_m] and [name_m]Ezra[/name_m], but what about [name_m]Banks[/name_m]? It’s a nature name and sounds gentle to me.

Some other names with a nature connection that are soft sounding to me are:

[name_m]Peter[/name_m] (Rock)
[name_m]Luke[/name_m] (Light)
[name_m]Callum[/name_m] (Dove)
[name_m]Shepherd[/name_m]

Good luck!

1 Like

[name_m]Judah[/name_m] - I absolutely love [name_m]Judah[/name_m], and I think he’s really nice with [name_m]Silas[/name_m] and Ezra… I don’t think he feels like he’d be named from an algorithm but can understand why you’d feel that way. I love the significance of [name_m]Judah[/name_m] for you, and [name_m]Judah[/name_m] [name_m]Alder[/name_m] is handsome. (Another tree name would be so lovely, too, like [name_m]Judah[/name_m] [name_m]Cedar[/name_m]? [name_m]Judah[/name_m] [name_m]Ash[/name_m]? [name_m]Judah[/name_m] [name_m]Birch[/name_m]? [name_m]Judah[/name_m] Linden?)
[name_m]Asa[/name_m] - I am a ridiculously big [name_m]Asa[/name_m] fan, he’s amazing. [name_m]Ezra[/name_m] and [name_m]Asa[/name_m] do sound a bit similar, though! I like [name_m]Asa[/name_m] [name_m]Thoreau[/name_m] best from your combos.
[name_m]Hollis[/name_m] - not the biggest [name_m]Hollis[/name_m] fan, personally, but I love seeing [name_m]Bram[/name_m] as a middle.
[name_m]Kyrie[/name_m] - unfortunately I do just think of basketball, but I do like, in theory, the association to kyrie eleison (or however it’s spelled… I had to learn it in choir but don’t know Latin, so I’m probably butchering it!). I always want to say keer-ee-ay though because that’s how I was taught to say it. [name_m]Kyrie[/name_m] [name_m]Brooks[/name_m] is interesting! It does feel a bit more harsh with the K than your boys, but the idea is soft, so I can still see [name_m]Silas[/name_m], [name_m]Ezra[/name_m], and [name_m]Kyrie[/name_m] as brothers.
[name_m]Brooks[/name_m] - harder for me to see this and [name_m]Hollis[/name_m] with your boys since [name_m]Silas[/name_m] and [name_m]Ezra[/name_m] feel like soft-but-strong, quirky modern Bible favorites, but I do like [name_m]Brooks[/name_m]. Maybe something like [name_m]Brooks[/name_m] [name_m]Jeremy[/name_m] or [name_m]Brooks[/name_m] [name_m]Elliot[/name_m] or [name_m]Brooks[/name_m] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] or [name_m]Brooks[/name_m] [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m]?

I like the idea of a Biblical name but maybe one that ends in a different sound than S or A? There’s lots that fit into those categories, but I think these would also be great with [name_m]Silas[/name_m] and [name_m]Ezra[/name_m]:

[name_m]Isaac[/name_m]
Bram/Abram/Abraham
[name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m]
[name_m]Adriel[/name_m]
[name_m]Israel[/name_m]
[name_m]Asher[/name_m]
[name_m]Azarel[/name_m]
[name_m]Boaz[/name_m]
[name_m]Caleb[/name_m]
[name_m]Eliel[/name_m]
[name_m]Enoch[/name_m]
[name_m]Gabriel[/name_m]
[name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_m]Hillel[/name_m]
[name_m]Hiram[/name_m]
[name_m]Jesse[/name_m]
[name_m]Jericho[/name_m]
[name_m]Jude[/name_m] (is just [name_m]Jude[/name_m] better than Judah?)
[name_m]Levi[/name_m]
[name_m]Adlai[/name_m]
[name_m]Mordecai[/name_m]
[name_m]Reuben[/name_m]
[name_m]Samson[/name_m]
[name_m]Tobin[/name_m] (variant on the Biblical Tobiah)
[name_m]Simeon[/name_m]
Zebulon/Zebedee
[name_m]Ezekiel[/name_m]
[name_m]Zion[/name_m]

A few other soft names that go nicely with [name_m]Silas[/name_m] & [name_m]Ezra[/name_m]:

[name_m]Owen[/name_m]
[name_m]Rowan[/name_m]
[name_m]Ronan[/name_m]
[name_m]Cullen[/name_m]
Callan/Callum/Calvin
[name_m]Walker[/name_m] (feels very similar to [name_m]Wells[/name_m] to me?)
Leo/Leon
[name_m]Ewan[/name_m]
[name_m]Lorcan[/name_m]
[name_m]August[/name_m]
[name_m]Breccan[/name_m]

Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions! I had [name_m]Rhodes[/name_m] on our list for awhile, too. Such a gorgeous name! I just couldn’t figure out how to work it in without it feeling like I was naming an actual road - lol. It fits really nicely with [name_m]Rhodes[/name_m] [name_m]Adam[/name_m] though! [name_m]Forrest[/name_m] [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] is really nice, as well!

1 Like

I was actually going to suggest [name_m]Jude[/name_m] and [name_m]Hawthorne[/name_m] as names before I saw your list, so I’m a bit biased to those.

I prefer [name_m]Jude[/name_m] over [name_m]Judah[/name_m], but think either would work well with your first two. Alternatively [name_m]Josiah[/name_m] or [name_m]Jonah[/name_m] may work as well

[name_m]Brooks[/name_m] feels unexpected but not too different from [name_m]Silas[/name_m] and [name_m]Ezra[/name_m] as they all feel sort of like newly popular/up and coming names

Suggestions:

[name_m]Ash[/name_m] / [name_m]Asher[/name_m] - could be biblical connection or nature depending on your first association
[name_m]Zeke[/name_m] / [name_m]Ezekiel[/name_m]
[name_m]Jonah[/name_m]
[name_m]Josiah[/name_m]
[name_f]Briar[/name_f]
[name_m]Oak[/name_m]
[name_m]River[/name_m]
[name_m]Rowan[/name_m]

1 Like

Thank you! I’ve been worried about the repeat endings thing, and it’s nice to see other people think about these things, too!!! I really like how you’ve shifted some of the names and added. [name_f]My[/name_f] sister-in-law just told me this week that she thought we might go with [name_m]Levi[/name_m], so it’s in the same vein for sure. Thanks for your help!

Thanks for your help! You’re definitely giving me confidence about [name_m]Judah[/name_m]! I think you’ve articulated well some of my concerns about Asa/Hollis/Kyrie. I can see where you are coming from with [name_m]Brooks[/name_m], and I really like all four of these [name_m]Brooks[/name_m] + middle name combos you’ve suggested.

[name_m]Malachi[/name_m] is gorgeous! We discussed it earlier in the pregnancy, but I’m not sure why we moved away from it. It’s such a great name!

Aww, thank you for the kind words!!! I’m really happy with their names, but it’s been such a process to get there. I want to love this little guy’s name as much!

I appreciate your thoughts on Ezra/Asa. I’m definitely worried about it, too. [name_m]Loving[/name_m] the name [name_m]Abel[/name_m]! We had it on our list, but it felt a little plain to me. However, maybe with the right middle name combo, it would shine. [name_m]Theo[/name_m] and [name_m]Reid[/name_m] are also definitely our style! I just feel like there are so many Theos.

Thanks for your help!!!

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from A Brother for Silas and Ezra?:

Aww, thank you for the kind words!!! I’m really happy with their names, but it’s been such a process to get there. I want to love this little guy’s name as much!

I appreciate your thoughts on Ezra/Asa. I’m definitely worried about it, too. [name_m]Loving[/name_m] the name [name_m]Abel[/name_m]! We had it on our list, but it felt a little plain to me. However, maybe with the right middle name combo, it would shine. [name_m]Theo[/name_m] and [name_m]Reid[/name_m] are also definitely our style! I just feel like there are so many Theos.

Thanks for your help!!!

Thanks for your feedback! I really like the idea of [name_m]Asa[/name_m] as a middle name; I don’t think we’ve explored that enough. [name_f]Love[/name_f] some of these combos! I’m a particular fan of [name_m]Brooks[/name_m] [name_m]Asa[/name_m], [name_m]Brooks[/name_m] [name_m]Abel[/name_m], and [name_m]Brooks[/name_m] [name_m]Malachi[/name_m]. [name_m]Samson[/name_m] is a great thought, too!

1 Like

Ooh, I like the sound of [name_m]Adler[/name_m]! Very cool that it means eagle. I love this!

I definitely get where you are coming from with [name_m]Kyrie[/name_m] [name_m]Brooks[/name_m] and [name_m]Brooks[/name_m] [name_m]Judah[/name_m]. Thanks for your help!!!

I feel like the personal significance with [name_m]Judah[/name_m] makes it tough to match. I’m just trying to figure out if my other feelings about the name can align like I need them to, you know? [name_m]Jonah[/name_m] is nice!

Thanks for helping me with your thoughts on Ezra/Asa. They only share one letter, so I feel like it should be okay! I might just like [name_m]Asa[/name_m] so much that I want it to be okay - lol.

I definitely know what you’re saying about [name_m]Kyrie[/name_m] and [name_m]Brooks[/name_m]! Thanks for your suggestions!

[name_m]Silas[/name_m], [name_m]Ezra[/name_m], and [name_m]Judah[/name_m] are great together. I think [name_m]Jude[/name_m] works really well too.

1 Like

Thanks for helping! [name_f]Love[/name_f] some of these other tree names you’ve paired with [name_m]Judah[/name_m]. [name_f]My[/name_f] name starts with a “C” so it could be fun to do a [name_m]Judah[/name_m] [name_m]Cedar[/name_m]. [name_m]Judah[/name_m] [name_m]Ash[/name_m] and [name_m]Judah[/name_m] [name_m]Birch[/name_m] are lovely, too!!!

I appreciate your thoughts on the other names. You make a lot of excellent points! I’m showing all of these posts to my husband tonight, so he can see what other people’s impressions and ideas are, too. Much appreciated!

I love [name_m]Boaz[/name_m]! I’m just not sure I’m brave enough to do it - lol. [name_m]Hiram[/name_m] and [name_m]Enoch[/name_m] are other favorites for me from your list, too!

1 Like