A Challenge from My Husband--Nature Names that are Biblical/Christian

So, at my husband’s request, I’m taking a trip back to the drawing board for some fresh ideas for baby #6. My current favorites are in my signature, but he has yet to fall in love with any of them. He wants me to write another list, and think nature/botanical. We still want something that connects with our [name_m]Christian[/name_m] faith, though.

Our 3 boys all have Bible names that are fresher-sounding and hovering around the top 100.
Our 2 girls have Bible names, but not in the [name_f]Hannah[/name_f]-[name_f]Sarah[/name_f]-[name_f]Rachel[/name_f] sense. One is botanical, the other is a Hebrew name taken from a Psalm.

Actually, all but one of their names is a bit “nature-y” in a sense. I’ll give the example [name_u]Micah[/name_u]. A prophet, but [name_u]Mica[/name_u] is also a mineral. My slightly tree-hugger husband digs that kind of connection.

Anyway, I’m not coming up with much, so I could use some help. Here’s what I have so far–

[name_u]Eden[/name_u]–the eternally perfect garden name…I like it, but worry that it sounds too much like a soap opera
[name_f]Olive[/name_f]/[name_f]Olivet[/name_f]– Biblical symbol of peace with God. [name_f]Olivet[/name_f] is a place name taken from a well-known sermon of [name_m]Jesus[/name_m]. I prefer [name_f]Olivet[/name_f] (pronounced Oliv-ette), but someone once told me it sounded like “all of it”. :confused: I dislike [name_f]Olivia[/name_f].

[name_m]Jonah[/name_m]–in my signature, but we haven’t discussed it much. It sounds oceanic, doesn’t it?
[name_u]Cedar[/name_u]–this would be further “out there” than our other boys’ names, but it has the whole [name_m]Solomon[/name_m]'s Cedars of Lebanon thing going for it.

…and that’s all I’ve got. Help a girl out? Thanks! :smiley:

[name_f]Cypress[/name_f] - I believe that [name_u]Noah[/name_u]'s ark was made of wood from a cypress tree
[name_u]Jordan[/name_u] - the river [name_u]Jordan[/name_u]
[name_f]Star[/name_f]/[name_f]Stella[/name_f] - The star of Bethlehem

[name_f]Marah[/name_f] - “The first body of water encountered after the Israelites crossed the dry sea bed on foot was the [name_f]Marah[/name_f] [name_u]River[/name_u]. This water was bitter and undrinkable until [name_m]Moses[/name_m] threw in a particular piece of wood (Exodus 13:23-25).”
[name_u]Read[/name_u] more : http://www.ehow.com/info_8203779_bodies-water-mentioned-bible.html

Also, I found this list of plants that are mentioned in the Bible. My favorites that could be used as names are [name_m]Cane[/name_m], [name_m]Casper[/name_m], [name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_f]Myrtle[/name_f], [name_u]Oak[/name_u], [name_u]Reed[/name_u], and [name_u]Sage[/name_u]. List of plants in the Bible - Wikipedia

Also [name_u]Dove[/name_u]/[name_f]Dovie[/name_f]! or any name that means [name_u]Dove[/name_u]. [name_m]Callum[/name_m], [name_f]Jemima[/name_f] (which I love!), [name_f]Paloma[/name_f], [name_m]Jonas[/name_m]/[name_m]Jonah[/name_m].

[name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_f]Rainbow[/name_f]?

kidding, kidding. :slight_smile:

Here’s what I came up with. Bible verses referenced for some.

[name_m]Jasper[/name_m], the stone, is mentioned in Exodus (in the high priest’s breast plate) and in Revelation (in the building of [name_m]New[/name_m] Jerusalem). It’s described in scripture as “most precious” “clear as crystal.” “It was emblematic of the glory of God (Revelation 4:3)” - [name_u]Easton[/name_u]'s Bible Dictionary.

[name_u]River[/name_u], after the [name_u]Jordan[/name_u] [name_u]River[/name_u], which has much Biblical significance.

[name_f]Sparrow[/name_f] would also be a cool choice. [name_m]Luke[/name_m] 12:6 “Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God.”

[name_u]Rain[/name_u] is talked about throughout scripture.

[name_m]Rock[/name_m] may seem unconventional, but with an old school namesake like [name_m]Rock[/name_m] [name_u]Hudson[/name_u] I’d say it’s usable. [name_m]Matthew[/name_m] 7:24-27 "Therefore everyone who hears these words of Mine and acts on them, may be compared to a wise man who built his house on the rock. “And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and yet it did not fall, for it had been founded on the rock.”

[name_m]Lion[/name_m] is a neat animal name, though maybe a bit much for some people. Proverbs 30:30 “The lion, which is mightiest among beasts and does not turn back before any;” and Proverbs 28:1 “The wicked flee though no one pursues, but the righteous are as bold as a lion.”

[name_f]Moon[/name_f] is growing in popularity for girls. Psalms 8:3 “When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers, The moon and the stars, which You have ordained.”

[name_u]Day[/name_u] would be a nice, simple unisex choice. Psalms 74:16 “Yours is the day, Yours also is the night; You have prepared the light and the sun.”

[name_u]Sky[/name_u] is another pretty well heard-of name. Psalms 36:5 “Your lovingkindness, O [name_m]LORD[/name_m], extends to the heavens, Your faithfulness reaches to the skies.”

[name_m]Fisher[/name_m] would be a cool choice, it isn’t directly a nature name but is nature-related. As Christians are supposed to be fishers of men.

[name_m]Shepherd[/name_m], along the same lines as [name_m]Fisher[/name_m], isn’t directly a nature name. Still a great choice though. [name_m]Pastor[/name_m] means [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m], one who guides the flock. So a cool name if you want your son to be leader.

[name_f]Sharon[/name_f] (means plain)
[name_m]Peter[/name_m] (rock)
[name_u]Jericho[/name_u]
[name_u]Zion[/name_u]
[name_f]Bethany[/name_f]
[name_f]Anise[/name_f]
Elim
[name_m]Judah[/name_m]
[name_f]Miriam[/name_f]
[name_u]Abijah[/name_u]
Adoraim (means “strength of the sea”)
Amasai (strong)
[name_f]Elah[/name_f] (oak)
[name_m]Eli[/name_m]
[name_u]Elon[/name_u] ([name_u]Oak[/name_u], strong, grove)
[name_u]Salim[/name_u] (foxes)
[name_m]Shem[/name_m]
[name_u]Shiloh[/name_u]
[name_m]Silas[/name_m]
Jabal (a shepherd, stream)
[name_u]Jael[/name_u] (goat, agile)

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] some of those are usable? Haha!

Hmmm…the only one I can think of at the moment that fits your criteria is [name_m]Gilead[/name_m], as in the ‘balm of [name_m]Gilead[/name_m]’ mentioned several times in the bible. It’s been a secret favorite of mine, and I think it would work really well as name. [name_m]Gil[/name_m], or even [name_m]Leo[/name_m] could work as a nickname. These are less on the nature side but they’re more uncommon bible names I’ve always thought could work well:

[name_f]Galilee[/name_f] ([name_f]Emily[/name_f] is so popular, why not [name_f]Galilee[/name_f]?)
[name_f]Bethesda[/name_f]/Bethsaida/[name_f]Bethany[/name_f]
[name_m]Jethro[/name_m]
[name_u]Jericho[/name_u]
Damascus

Teva - means nature
[name_f]Rachel[/name_f] - means ewe
[name_u]Jordan[/name_u] - is the name of a river.
[name_f]Talya[/name_f] - means dew of heaven
[name_f]Sela[/name_f] - means rock
[name_u]Micah[/name_u] - means who is like god, mica is a type of rock.

Here are a few more:
[name_f]Keziah[/name_f] ([name_f]Cassia[/name_f] tree)
[name_m]Jubal[/name_m] (ram’s horn)
[name_m]Laban[/name_m] (white)
[name_f]Zipporah[/name_f] (bird)
[name_m]Boaz[/name_m] (swiftness)
[name_f]Junia[/name_f] (born in [name_u]June[/name_u])
[name_f]Tabitha[/name_f] (gazelle)
[name_m]Linus[/name_m] (flax)
[name_f]Keturah[/name_f] (incense)
[name_m]Jorah[/name_m] (early rain)
[name_m]Lucius[/name_m] (light)
[name_f]Salome[/name_f] (peace)

Ooo I had forgotten about Zipporrah, I second this suggestion. Zipporrah is beautiful.

I’m also adding [name_f]Sabra[/name_f]/[name_f]Sabre[/name_f], I just looked it up and saw it means prickly pear.

Oooh…that was fun! Thanks!

[name_f]Acacia[/name_f] jumps to mind, as the blossoms on an acacia shrub represent resurrection and immortality - very [name_f]Easter[/name_f]-y!. (Also, the Ark of the Covenant was made of acacia wood). I love your husband’s idea. Good luck!

I’m not sure all of these can be pulled into actual names, but I am the editor for my church’s newsletter, and I do a children’s activity page for each month’s issue, and a couple months ago, I did a puzzle based on some of the types of flowers/trees/plants/etc. that were mentioned in the Bible:

[name_f]Almond[/name_f] blossoms (maybe not almond, but [name_f]Blossom[/name_f] could work as a MN?)
Aloe (meh, I’ve got nothing. Maybe [name_f]Alondra[/name_f]? Not really Biblical, but you could use the nn Alo for it, which sounds like Aloe!)
[name_u]Cedar[/name_u] (iffy on this as a first, but I like it for a middle!)
Crocus (MAYBE a MN?)
Crown [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] (I think [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] would be adorable! This is also known as the chrysanthemum, so maybe that, too, but it’s too much for me)
[name_f]Cypress[/name_f]
Grape vines
[name_f]Lily[/name_f] of the valley (especially meaningful as it was one of [name_m]Jesus[/name_m]’ names–maybe a name like [name_f]Shoshana[/name_f]/[name_f]Susanna[/name_f], or even a more elaborate [name_f]Lily[/name_f] variant, like [name_f]Lilia[/name_f], [name_f]Liliosa[/name_f], Lilevi, [name_f]Lilibet[/name_f], or [name_f]Liliane[/name_f]/[name_f]Liliana[/name_f]?)
Mustard Seed
[name_u]Oak[/name_u]
Palm (met a woman named [name_f]Palma[/name_f] today, maybe something along those lines? Or even [name_f]Paloma[/name_f]–doves are quite meaningful in the Bible!)
Pomegranate
[name_f]Rose[/name_f] (of [name_f]Sharon[/name_f])
Tamarisk
Thistle
Thorns
Walnut tree
Wheat
[name_f]Willow[/name_f] (even if not a FN, [name_f]Willow[/name_f] would be a really nice MN–something like [name_f]Magdalena[/name_f] [name_f]Willow[/name_f]?–although I just remembered that you wanted to use family MNs, so maybe not)

[name_u]Damaris[/name_u] (I’ve heard somewhere this means heifer, so maybe not the best animal meaning, but it’s still a pretty cool name. I think [name_f]Maris[/name_f] would be a cool nn, too?)
[name_f]Shoshana[/name_f]/[name_f]Susanna[/name_f] (“lily”)
[name_f]Deborah[/name_f] (means “bee”. the more Hebrew D’vorah/[name_f]Devorah[/name_f]/Dvorah makes it a little less dated, to me?)
[name_f]Dorcas[/name_f]/[name_f]Tabitha[/name_f] (“gazelle”)
[name_f]Esther[/name_f] (“star”. [name_f]Tess[/name_f] or Estey would be really cute nns)
[name_f]Eve[/name_f] (“life”)
[name_f]Jemima[/name_f] (“dove”)
[name_f]Keziah[/name_f] (omgoodness, [name_f]Keziah[/name_f]! [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like this at all? It’s a rare Biblical name–seemingly more along the lines of your boys’ names than the girls’ names you’re not a fan of, and it means “cassia, cinnamon”. Seems to fit your criteria precisely, but I guess it doesn’t matter if you’re not a fan. :))
[name_f]Keturah[/name_f] ([name_m]Abraham[/name_m]'s second wife, after [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] died. It means “incense”)
[name_f]Naomi[/name_f] (means “pleasantness”–not sure if that really counts, but nature is very pleasant, so I figured I’d give it a shot. :slight_smile: I’m not a huge [name_f]Naomi[/name_f] fan, but I do adore the Spanish form, [name_f]Noemi[/name_f])
[name_f]Noa/name_f (“motion”)
[name_f]Peninnah[/name_f] (“precious stone”, although I’m not sure I’d use it, with how awful the character really was…)
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] (“bright, pure”)
[name_f]Rivka[/name_f] (Hebrew form of [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f]; possibly means “a snare”)
[name_f]Sapphira[/name_f] (“sapphire”. Again, possibly not the best namesake. Still a gorgeous name, though!)
Zeruiah (rumored to mean “balm of Yahweh”, which I think is pretty nice!)
[name_f]Zillah[/name_f] (“shade”. She was the second wife of Lamech)

Other random ideas:

[name_f]Tirzah[/name_f] (not a nature name, but it means “favorable”, and is one of the daughters of Zelophehad–if you know who he is at all! I’ve always loved the story of the daughters of Zelophehad, but it is a really obscure story, haha!)
[name_f]Anna[/name_f]-variants? (I think something like [name_f]Annabel[/name_f], [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f], [name_f]Anne[/name_f]-[name_f]Claire[/name_f], [name_f]Anouk[/name_f], etc., would be lovely, and has a subtle tie to the Bible, but much more interesting than [name_f]Anna[/name_f]!)

I think [name_f]Olive[/name_f]/[name_f]Olivet[/name_f] is really fantastic, too! I like that [name_f]Olive[/name_f] hits a couple references–from the Mt. of Olives/Mt. [name_f]Olivet[/name_f] to the story of the widow who borrowed jars from everyone she knew to sell the almost unending supply of olive oil God provided, but [name_f]Olivet[/name_f] is more unusual and spunky!

I see you already got quite a few of replies, so I’m hoping this isn’t all just repeats!

Good luck!

ETA: Also, what about the [name_u]Ariel[/name_u] family? Traditionally in Hebrew culture, [name_u]Ariel[/name_u]‘s a boys’ name, but [name_f]Arielle[/name_f] or [name_f]Ariella[/name_f] work for a girl. They all mean “lion of God”, which is very naturey, and I think I remember hearing somewhere that there’s a place in Biblical [name_m]Israel[/name_m] that was called [name_u]Ariel[/name_u], as well?

Some pretty impressive brainstorming here!

The [name_u]River[/name_u] [name_u]Jordan[/name_u] has been mentioned, but I’ll just add that most of the geographic names mentioned in the Bible would sort of fit the criteria. I won’t name them all, but some of them have some popularity as names (like [name_u]Carmel[/name_u] from Mount [name_u]Carmel[/name_u], the town of [name_f]Bethany[/name_f], [name_m]Nazareth[/name_m] has been adapted into the name Nazarine, etc.)…

[name_f]Olive[/name_f] is gorgeous!

I like [name_u]Eden[/name_u] and [name_m]Jonah[/name_m] so far. I don’t think of soap operas with [name_u]Eden[/name_u] and, if it helps, [name_f]Olivet[/name_f] and ‘all of it’ sound different to me (ol-iv-ett and all-ov-it). I think it’s the syllable pattern with [name_f]Olivet[/name_f] and ‘all of it’ that make them similar, but they share no other similarities (maybe the prominent ‘v’ sound but that’s it).

I’m not religious and for the life of me cannot come up with names that match this criteria, so I can only second some suggestions. I really like the suggestions of [name_u]Sky[/name_u], [name_f]Zipporah[/name_f] (so cool) and [name_f]Salome[/name_f] for girls. [name_m]Boaz[/name_m] and [name_m]Lucius[/name_m] for boys.

This is such a cool, thought provoking thread! Most of my ideas have been mentioned but could [name_m]Asher[/name_m], with the Nickname [name_u]Ash[/name_u] (like the tree) work? I also adore [name_m]Naphtali[/name_m] ([name_u]Genesis[/name_u] 49:21
“[name_m]Naphtali[/name_m] is a doe set free that bears beautiful fawns.”) for a Girl even though I know it is a Male Name! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the ideas, everyone. We’ve actually already used a couple of these. :slight_smile: I’m feeling hormonal and freaked out today…my husband can’t find the love for anything I suggest. I know we’ll get there (we have until [name_f]October[/name_f]) but I hate not having names!

This is a stretch, and obviously biased, but when researching my sons name, [name_m]Griffin[/name_m], I had read that at one point the mythical creature had been adopted as a [name_m]Christian[/name_m] symbol because the duality of eagle and lion was like the duality of human and divine in [name_m]Christ[/name_m].

oh my gosh! I was about to start a thread on nature and [name_m]Christian[/name_m] names (my inspirations were [name_u]Eden[/name_u] & [name_u]Micah[/name_u]), and was so glad to see one existing!
Great ideas you guys.

What about something water-related? God is the living water, people are baptized in water and seas and rivers play a big role in the Bible. Maybe you’d like:
[name_u]Bay[/name_u] (a nice middle)
[name_u]Brooke[/name_u]
[name_u]Haven[/name_u]
[name_f]Marina[/name_f]
[name_u]Nile[/name_u] (mentioned in Bible)
[name_f]Oceane[/name_f] (pronounced oh-see-ENN)
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] (means ‘daughter of the sea’; like daughter of God, the living water?)
[name_u]Kai[/name_u] (means ‘sea’)
[name_f]Maya[/name_f] (means ‘water’)
[name_m]Dover[/name_m] (means ‘water’)

I hope this helps!