A full(er) name for Ezri

First off, this is more wordy than I wanted it to be, so I’m sorry for the block-o-text! Thanks in advance for your input!

I’m looking for a way to lengthen/“complete” our favorite name, [name]Ezri[/name].

Her nickname will be [name]Ezri[/name] or Ez, but I want a fuller, more grown-up given name. Something that [name]Ezri[/name] can be easily/logically derived from.

We’ve seen Ezriela/Ezriella, Ezraela, Eliezra, Aviezri, and [name]Ezra[/name]. Aviezri (traditionally a male name) comes the closest to our style, but seems awfully chewy/cumbersome. The hubby is on board with the idea of Ezriadne (we love Greek names), but I just wish that we could find something that doesn’t come across as mashed-up, which Ezriadne does [name]IMO[/name]. We’re okay with the idea of mashed-up or even made-up, but I’d like it to at least sound like an established name (even if it isn’t :wink: ). I’m going for the reaction “oh, I’ve never heard that name before” rather than “uh, did you just make that up?”

Another option would be to move it to the middle name spot, but I’d prefer not to call my kid by her middle name - just a personal preference.

Names ending in -a are tough, since our last name ends in -a and I don’t want it to sound sing-songy. If the name has three or more syllables I think it works better, because the ln is two.

Other names we like, to give insight to our style:

[name]Eirene[/name] (ay-rehn-ee, not eye-reen)
Penthea
[name]Evelyn[/name]
[name]Evadne[/name]
Adelphie
Aoide
[name]Asta[/name]
Onile

[name]Love[/name] the name–if you want to keep it simple for people to say the full name, I think using the least amount of added syllables or vowels would be better. Ezriah ( Ez-ry-uh) is kind of a combo of a couple of Bible names–[name]Ezra[/name], [name]Mariah[/name]/[name]Moriah[/name]. I’m assuming [name]Ezri[/name] is said (ehz-ree). I enjoyed the warning about not clicking if you are not a fan of “mashed-up or made-up” names. I tend to like some made-up names. At one point weren’t all names “made-up”?? Point being, if you love the sound of it–go for it. :smiley:

I agree completely. I do completely understand people disliking made-up or combo names, but I don’t have the same knee-jerk negative reaction to it, myself, and think it’s totally okay to do in a tasteful way.

Thank you for the suggestion! Ezriah is quite pretty, and actually doesn’t sound strange with our -a last name the way a lot of -a sound names do. I would read it as “ehz-[name]RYE[/name]-uh,” and you’re right, ehz-ree is the nickname we’re going for.

[name]Just[/name] ran across Pallavi. Pallezri or Palezri? Hmm…

My instinct is that [name]Ezri[/name] would be so heavily used that the full name would only come into play in very formal situations (resumes, job interviews, etc.), so I’m more concerned with it sounding and looking nice than with it being easy to pronounce off paper.

I don’t know if this is helpful but I found the name of a Malaysian princess and ex-wife of the [name]Sultan[/name] of Brunei called Azrinaz. I know it’s not [name]Ezri[/name] but Azri is super cute too in my opinion! Or since you’re ok with it being made up, I guess you could change it to Ezrinaz. Azrinaz Mazhar Hakim - Wikipedia

Ezrina also seems to be a last name so in the spirit of last names as first names that could work? To me it also seems like a “real” name.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Oh and I love [name]Ezri[/name], it’s been on my list at one point too but partner vetoed it! Lol.

I say just use [name]Ezri[/name]. It has a cute sound, but I think an adult could totally pull it off too. It sort of reminds me of the name [name]Eleni[/name] which I have seen on a professional with a Ph.D. If you love it, go for it. I think it’s easier than trying to tell people her name is something that sounds made up, but that “we call her [name]Ezri[/name]” all the time.

I think [name]Ezri[/name] alone is better than the other options here - it doesn’t need a “formal” name imo, especially if you only ever call her [name]Ezri[/name]. It doesn’t seem like a nn name, it seems like a full name for a child or adult. If you really don’t like that idea, then I love the suggestion of Ezriah. I think it has the feel that you want - oh, I’ve never heard that name rather than did you just make that up.

[name]Ezri[/name] has a lot of character - great name!

Maybe Aniezri (ahni-ezri) for a full name, although you’d get A LOT of mispronuniciations.

Or [name]Ezera[/name]?

Is it weird that the first name that i thought of as a full name for [name]Ezri[/name] is not a made up or mashed up name at all? It may not be your style, but what about using the cool, subdued, kinda-classic [name]Esther[/name]? The nn [name]Ezri[/name] can easily be derived from that and its a name that she would easily be able to fall back on if she ends up thinking “what were they thinking?!” when shes older (although i doubt it…[name]Ezri[/name] is so cool!). You could even spell [name]Esther[/name] as Ezther, which in my opinion actually looks really amazing as it turns a classic name into something more modern…and well, you! Therefore my vote is for Ezther “[name]Ezri[/name]”!
[name]Hope[/name] this helps!

Me again, just wanted to add!
I just looked up the name [name]Esther[/name] on nameberry and it had a few international variations of it that included a “z” in the spelling. One of them was [name]Eszter[/name] which is an interesting idea - but i still think that Ezther leads to [name]Ezri[/name] much more easily (and im sure would lead to less pronunciation issues)!

yet again, hope this helps!

Thank you all for your feedback! It helps so much to hear other ideas on the subject. I’m writing down all the suggestions so we can simmer on them for awhile.

I think this jives closest with our style. One of the mash-ups we’ve considered is Ezriane (or just [name]Ezri[/name] [name]Anne[/name], so that she could introduce herself as Firstmiddle if she liked).

I think [name]Ezri[/name] is really cute these are some names I found that could lend themselves to the nn [name]Ezri[/name]

[name]Antrez[/name]
[name]Chantez[/name] (even though I think the correct pron. is Chant-ay, you could make it work :))
[name]Florez[/name]
Jereza
[name]Lucrezia[/name]
[name]Tereza[/name]

I love the idea of using [name]Ezra[/name] and I think [name]Florez[/name] could be really cute

Thank you for your suggestions, [name]Alexa[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Ezri[/name] doesn’t sound made up at all! I speak Hebrew, and in hebrew, [name]Ezri[/name] is a word that means “my help”.

I didn’t say it was or that it sounded like it was.

I was looking for lengthened versions of [name]Ezri[/name]. Names that [name]Ezri[/name] could be derived from as a nickname. There isn’t much to choose from, so I didn’t want people coming in and nay-saying “made-up” suggestions like Aniezri, Ezriane, Pallezri, etc. etc.

Since you speak Hebrew, you could be a really useful resource for me! Are there any names you could dream up to “complete” [name]Ezri[/name]?

[name]Just[/name] wanted to chime in to say that my cousin’s name is Ezriel (ez-[name]REE[/name]-el), which is a common name in [name]Israel[/name]. It’s technically a male name, but I think it could work as a girls name in the US. He goes solely by [name]Ezri[/name], which lends me to believe that [name]Ezri[/name] works fine as a full name. In [name]Israel[/name] there are tons of little girls named [name]Ezri[/name] (full name). It’s very sweet and I’m glad you’re going to use it in some form!

[name]Ezri[/name] sounds pretty complete to me, but like freckles says, Ezriel is a legitimate name (the el part means god). Something [name]Ezri[/name] can be a nn for can be [name]Azariah[/name] (help of god), but people might automatically think of the Simpsons when they see [name]Azariah[/name].

I didn’t say it was or that it sounded like it was.

I was looking for lengthened versions of [name]Ezri[/name]. Names that [name]Ezri[/name] could be derived from as a nickname. There isn’t much to choose from, so I didn’t want people coming in and nay-saying “made-up” suggestions like Aniezri, Ezriane, Pallezri, etc. etc.

Since you speak Hebrew, you could be a really useful resource for me! Are there any names you could dream up to “complete” [name]Ezri[/name]?[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback, freckles and amandalk!