A Girl Name Greer

Hello! What are your thoughts and opinions on the name [name_f]Greer[/name_f] for a girl. I know most people might not like it, bc the first time I heard it, I wasn’t too keen on it. But as I heard it more, I like it.

To me, I feel like it’s similar to [name_u]James[/name_u], where it’s a 50/50 name. Where people love it or hate it.

The sound of it is not appealing to me. It is the first time I’ve heard of it, so I’ll let you know if it grows on me! :blush:

It reminds me of the words near, sneer, and rear, so to me it is not super appealing, but it might be one of those names that you appreciate after hearing it a lot.

There was a time when I loved [name_f]Greer[/name_f]. That time has passed. To echo @IrinaNicolaStrong, it reminds me of sneer.

To me, [name_f]Greer[/name_f] is definitely one of those names where it may take you a while to get used to it. But I think it’s just as easy to lose your taste for it. Makes it a little risky, but if you know you love it, you love it! I’m also a big believer in the fact that attaching a person to a name helps a ton with appeal. People may not immediately like [name_f]Greer[/name_f] if you were to name your baby that, but as they got to know her it would very likely change the perception.

I really, really did not like this name when I first hear it, but then I went to a gallery opening for an artist named [name_f]Greer[/name_f] and my entire perception changed. Yeah, it’s a little harsh sounding, but it’s also green and powerful in a [name_f]Merida[/name_f] kind of way. I wouldn’t use it, but I wouldn’t be opposed to hearing it more often!

I find it to be quite spunky and appealing. Would certainly match an artistic personality.

[name_f]Greer[/name_f] has been my absolute favorite girls name for well over a decade.

While I know some people think it’s old Hollywood, I personally find it very fresh and somewhat preppy. That being said, I definitely don’t see it as gender-bending like [name_u]James[/name_u] is becoming so if that’s your goal it’s not a name I would particularly recommend.

1 Like

I find it a bit harsh and sneering, sorry

It reminds me of [name_f]Greer[/name_f] [name_m]Garson[/name_m], so it definitely has that old Hollywood vibe to me. I like it! I think it’s got a lot of personality and sounds quite spunky.

1 Like

For some reason this name reminds me of [name_u]Sloane[/name_u]. I guess I put them in the same category of I don’t really like it but I would still be intrigued to hear it.

I LOVE [name_f]Greer[/name_f] for a girl, although I prefer [name_f]Grier[/name_f], even. Which I know a lot of people say makes them want to rhyme with “buyer”, but anyways. I am not a huge unisex name person, so I’d only ever use it as a middle, but I’ve been thinking about it lately and wondering if I could fit it in as a middle name on my list. I love it!

I’m so so on this name, it makes me think of tractors for some reason, I think because I think “gear” and wheels? It’s also super close to the word queer. I can pronounce it in my head but saying it out loud is hard?

That said, I think it could be pulled off with the right middle and would also depend on where you live and I guess if people have accents or not.

I like, but don’t love it. I personally wouldn’t use it, but at the same time i think I would like to hear it used on someone else’s child.

Other names I think are of similar style.
[name_f]Audra[/name_f]
[name_f]Bridie[/name_f]
[name_u]Blaire[/name_u]
[name_f]Calliope[/name_f]/[name_f]Callie[/name_f]
[name_u]Delainey[/name_u]/[name_u]Delaney[/name_u]/[name_f]Lainey[/name_f]/[name_u]Laney[/name_u]
[name_f]Eliette[/name_f]
[name_u]Frankie[/name_u]
[name_f]Hartlie[/name_f]
[name_u]Harlow[/name_u]
[name_u]Halle[/name_u]/[name_f]Hallie[/name_f]
[name_u]Hadley[/name_u]
[name_u]Holland[/name_u]
[name_f]Jolie[/name_f]
[name_u]Joss[/name_u]
[name_u]Monroe[/name_u]
[name_f]Marli[/name_f]/Mahli
[name_u]Matisse[/name_u]
[name_f]Maren[/name_f]
[name_f]Manon[/name_f]
Madyn
[name_u]Marlowe[/name_u]
[name_f]Neve[/name_f]
[name_u]Piper[/name_u]
Rumor
[name_u]Romy[/name_u]/[name_u]Romilly[/name_u],
[name_f]Roxy[/name_f]
[name_f]Sadie[/name_f]
[name_u]Scout[/name_u]
[name_u]Sloan[/name_u]/[name_u]Sloane[/name_u]
[name_f]Tansy[/name_f]
[name_u]Tully[/name_u]
[name_f]Tamsyn[/name_f]
[name_u]Tatum[/name_u]
[name_f]Willa[/name_f]
[name_f]Xanthe[/name_f]

I fell in love with it when I watched [name_u]Reign[/name_u] on Netflix, but it’s just not as appealing when I say it with my own American accent. :broken_heart:

I’m afraid it’s one that I have yet to see the appeal of. The sound makes me think of the words “gross” and “eerie”, and it sort of registers as a synonym for “grim” to me. It’s one that I’ve found people either love or hate and, well… I’m on the latter side, tbh.

[name_f]Greer[/name_f] isn’t my personal style but I think it’s interesting and different.

I like the [name_f]Greer[/name_f] [name_m]Garson[/name_m], Old Hollywood association.

Interesting to see people’s reactions. For me the double ee gives it an upbeat sound. It causes your mouth to smile as you enunciate the vowels.

I like the name [name_f]Greer[/name_f] ! It’s recognizable without being too out there. I think it’s easy to pronounce and I can see it being a unisex name.
I have a positive association with girl who is 30 something. I say if you love it go for it

I didn’t like it when I first heard it either, but it’s definitely grown on me.

It feels direct, decisive, no-nonsense to me, and I love that in a girls’ name. [name_u]Blair[/name_u] is another one that I didn’t like at first but has grown on me for the same reasons (still working on [name_u]Sloane[/name_u]…)

I prefer the [name_f]Grier[/name_f] spelling like @ashthedreamer. It takes it further from “sneer” and “eerie” and closer to [name_u]Blair[/name_u] and [name_m]Keir[/name_m] and other familiar names.

I agree that [name_f]Greer[/name_f]/[name_f]Grier[/name_f] is a Marmite name, so only use it if you’re sure you can’t be put off by what other people might think or say!