A good name for a fictional town?

I know that naming places isn’t that typical here, but I’m trying to come up with a name for the town in my story. To give you a good feel for it, it’s a small, midwestern town (probably in [name_u]Indiana[/name_u], but not sure) where almost everyone knows each other. I have a couple ideas for what to name it, but I’m not that sure about any of them, and I want to know if anybody has any good ideas. Town names I’ve considered so far are [name_u]Aspen[/name_u] Hill/Emory [name_m]Hill[/name_m], Adamsville, and Asherfield, but again, I don’t know if they sound good or not. Any suggestions appreciated. I know that some streets have names that sound like town names, so if there are any streets with names like that that you know of, you could tell me those too :slight_smile:

-borough and -ton and -glade are all surefire and cool endings! Examples: Middleborough, [name_u]Leighton[/name_u], Errolglade, Parsborogh, Welston, and Gardensglade!

1 Like

For an added tidbit of believability look up the majority of people who settled there— were they [name_m]German[/name_m]? Irish? Norwegian? And pluck surnames from there to add to, OR something from their home vicinity.

If I look up the reasoning behind town names within my area most are based from that: one is named from an old city back in their home country. One was named after the railroad operator’s daughter. Another named to honor a local colonel.

1 Like

a lot of it also has to do with the overall feel of the town. if you’re going for a small, everyone-knows-everybody, very judgmental town, those two-word names would work (or endings like brooke or glen). for a warmer vibe I like to do things like slightly alter last names or warm, woodsy nature words like oak or grove, because they have an overall warmer feel.

1 Like

Taking inspiration from Indiana’s flora and fauna (which I googled, as I love in the UK!) and existing place names, I made…

Tuliptree Point
Pitchersburg
Shortsburg
Clydesville
Milkweed Hollow
Cloverway Point
[name_u]Rocky[/name_u] Acres
Inglenook
Inglewood [name_m]Hill[/name_m]
Claresview
Buffalo [name_u]Rise[/name_u]
Jonesroad Heights
Meadville
Myersville
[name_u]Abbey[/name_u] Nest
Dunes [name_u]Grove[/name_u]
Dunesville
[name_m]Shady[/name_m] [name_u]Lake[/name_u]
Poplar [name_u]Grove[/name_u]
[name_u]New[/name_u] Riding
[name_u]June[/name_u] Springs
Plover View
Whitfield Heights
Applecott
[name_u]Ashby[/name_u] [name_m]Hill[/name_m]

1 Like

These are nice! I especially like [name_u]Ashby[/name_u] [name_m]Hill[/name_m] and [name_u]Rocky[/name_u] Acres.

2 Likes

[name_u]Emory[/name_u] [name_m]Hill[/name_m] is my favorite. [name_m]Just[/name_m] combining random words:

Brightonville, IN
Aaronburg, IN
Glenntown, IN
Stellson, IN
Andenwood, IN

1 Like

I came up with Twin Lakes as a town name! I really like it and I think it fits the judgemental small town vibe you described, which is what I’m going for. [name_f]My[/name_f] only worry is that it might sound too similar to Twin Peaks, and if so, I’ll probably just go with [name_u]Emory[/name_u] [name_m]Hill[/name_m] instead.