A Half-Asian Thor?

My husband is [name]Asian[/name] and I am white, we’re considering the name [name]Thor[/name] for a baby boy. I like the idea of giving a nod to my Scandinavian heritage (although in reality we’re both very much American). [name]Do[/name] you think it would be confusing or troublesome down the road for him? Would he constantly have to explain his Scandinavian first name and Chinese last name? Any thoughts or insights? Other name ideas (we also like [name]Odin[/name] and [name]Lars[/name])?

[name]Thor[/name] is an alright name. If you love it, I don’t think a Scandinavian first name and Chinese last name will be such a big deal.

[name]Just[/name] to throw something else your way, though–[name]Kai[/name] is a name that has both Chinese and Scandinavian origins (‘earth’ in Scandinavian languages, ‘triumphant’ in Mandarin. It’s got great multicultural appeal, and is an excellent name [name]IMO[/name].

I absolutely love it. [name]Thor[/name] is such a great name - unusual but not weird or too obscure.

I might be biased, though, as two of my children are also half [name]Asian[/name] (my partner is Scandinavian as well and the kids’ biological mother is Japanese) and so are our upcoming twins. We’ve actually spent a lot of time thinking about how the names we love “work” on someone who’s half [name]Asian[/name] - as horrible as that may sound, lol.

I’ve always thought that Scandinavian names are really cool. They’re unusual enough here that nearly anyone with the name would have to explain it or spell it or whatever, not just someone with a Chinese last name. I don’t think it really matters. I’d love to use a really old Nordic name somewhere in one of my twins’ names, but I think my partner thinks it’s too much with our Norwegian last name.

My first thought was [name]Soren[/name]. [name]Do[/name] you like it?

Thanks for all the suggestions and insights! I was thinking confusion might stem from meeting people for the first time and having them look for a blond haired blue eyed man vs a brown haired half-[name]Asian[/name]. [name]Just[/name] a thought, because I encounter the opposite with a Chinese last name and a first name common for [name]Asian[/name] girls.

If we depart from the Scandinavian theme (I find it a bit limiting if a girl were to follow) do you have any other names that would be particulary cute on a half-asian?

Other names I like:
[name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Clark[/name]
[name]Pierce[/name]
[name]Dane[/name]
[name]Sirius[/name] (how would you pronounce this if reading it for the first time?)

I don’t think it would be strange to see a half [name]Asian[/name] [name]Thor[/name]. My brother is having a half [name]Asian[/name] baby soon and I know that his wife is very concerned about the same thing: if a name fits a half [name]Asian[/name] baby. I think every person has different life experiences so they give different names different qualities. For example I told DH if our son was a brunette I thought the name [name]Zephyr[/name] fit better while I imagined Mir” fitting a blond baby better, DH felt the exact opposite. My [name]SIL[/name] said the [name]Naomi[/name] is “such an [name]Asian[/name] name” I feel like it is a blond hair blue eyed name!