a middle AND two last names???

[name]Hi[/name]! I wanted to get your feedback on a name quandary I’ve been having. My husband and I kept our last names upon marriage, and we would like to give our child both of them. Our last names are Spanish and sound pretty great together (think [name]Garcia[/name] [name]Marquez[/name]) but does this mean that giving my baby a middle would be too clunky? I would love to do a middle, but when I play around with various options, it always seems like way too much.

What do you all think? Please weigh in!

Well, plenty of people give their children two middles, so it’s no more cumbersome than that. Heck, some people go with 2 middles and a double-barreled last name. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with fn-mn-your ln-his ln but I’d be mindful of which names you choose. Two really long names plus two last names seems like a much bigger problem than two shorter names would.

I have a friend whose child has a first name, two middle names, and two last names. And my ex had a first name, three middle names, and a last name. Personally, I think you’re golden haha.

I think it can work easily, it’s all about playing with flow. And perhaps considering a shorter middle name.

I think it’s fine! Some people give their children 2,3 or even 4 middle names! [name]Just[/name] play around with names and see what you like the sound of :slight_smile:

[name]Plenty[/name] of people have double barrelled last names these days. [name]Lucy[/name] [name]Maria[/name] [name]Garcia[/name] [name]Marquez[/name] is no longer than [name]Lucy[/name] [name]Maria[/name] [name]Amanda[/name] [name]Marquez[/name], and plenty of people have two middle names. Of course you can give your child a middle name if you want to, don’t let wanting to have both your surnames stop you from doing that.

I guess it depends on the length of the names as to whether they sound too clunky - [name]Arabella[/name] [name]Georgiana[/name] [name]Garcia[/name] [name]Marquez[/name] definitely is too much, but [name]Jessica[/name] [name]Lauren[/name] [name]Garcia[/name] [name]Marquez[/name] works fine.

Everyone I know who has a hyphenated last name also has a middle name (and I know quite a few). You definitely don’t have to give up the second given name!