A middle name for Lemony?

I love the name Lemony from from the book [name]Captain[/name] Corelli’s [name]Mandolin[/name]. I prefer the y spelling rather than the i spelling. My second name rhymes with [name]Blackwell[/name] but starts with an R. I am having trouble with finding a middle name. Her older sister is called [name]Juniper[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] so you can kind of gage our style in name picking. I don’t particularly want to honour anyone in our family at all - just want another really pretty name for her. Thanks in advance!

Personally, with author Lemony Snicket, I think of Lemony to be a boys’ name (a lovely boy’s name!). If the baby was a boy, I’d think [name]Juniper[/name] and Lemony to be a wonderful combination!

[name]How[/name] about:
[name]Antoinette[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]

With [name]Juniper[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] I would choose a classic middle name to balance out the pair. Maybe something like…

Lemony [name]Catherine[/name]
Lemony [name]Camille[/name]
Lemony [name]Cathleen[/name]
Lemony [name]Claire[/name]
Lemony [name]Gabrielle[/name]
Lemony [name]Jane[/name]
Lemony [name]Josephine[/name]
Lemony [name]June[/name]
Lemony [name]Margaret[/name]
Lemony [name]Vivienne[/name]

[name]How[/name] about…

Lemony [name]Adelaide[/name]
Lemony [name]Clare[/name]
Lemony [name]Octavia[/name]
Lemony [name]Drusilla[/name]
Lemony [name]Athene[/name]
Lemony [name]Iris[/name]

I like previous suggestions of Lemony [name]June[/name] or Lemony [name]Josephine[/name].

Out of curiosity, are you planning to pronounce it like Americans will see it (LEH-muh-nee) or like it was pronounced in the movie ([name]Lee[/name]-moh-NEE). If the latter, do you think using the original spelling of Lemoni would help draw attention to the fact that it’s not just the fruit with a Y thrown on the end?

Good luck!

You have just thrown me a curve ball. I have never ever heard of anyone named Lemony. It sounds like a flavour to me and quite nicknamey. I don’t really feel that it is in the same style as [name]Juniper[/name], although Lemony has a fun kind of vibe, but why not give her a more known name as her formal name? Like [name]Marguerite[/name] [name]Plum[/name]?

Or you could call her Corelli [name]Mandolin[/name] or Corelli [name]Sage[/name] or Corelli [name]Clementine[/name]. I think Corelli is a pretty name.

That is my tuppence worth.

rollo :slight_smile:

I always thought Lemoni was pronounced Leh-[name]MOE[/name]-nee, not LEH-muh-nee like Lemony would probably be pronounced.

I was thinking this was for a boy, as my only knowledge of the name was from the Lemony Snicket books. If you go with that spelling, I think you’re going to get the same response from a lot of people (that it’s a boy’s name, and that’s pronounced just as someone would say “this chicken tastes lemony.”) If that’s the pronunciation you want, stick with it. Otherwise, I’d go with Lemoni.

I agree with the PPs about the spelling - use ‘i’ at the end if you’re thinking [name]Lee[/name]-moh-nee instead of like the fruit…

My initial thought was also
Lemoni(y) [name]Josephine[/name] as mentioned above

Other suggestions
Lemoni(y) [name]Clara[/name]
Lemoni(y) [name]Arianna[/name]
Lemoni(y) [name]Victoria[/name]
Lemoni(y) [name]Catherine[/name]/[name]Kate[/name]
Lemoni(y) [name]Amelia[/name]
Lemoni(y) [name]Abigail[/name]
Lemoni(y) [name]Isadora[/name]/[name]Isabella[/name]

You could also try spelling it Limoeny or something like that. I think since it is long and very unusual a short, simple middle would work well, e.g. Lemony [name]Jane[/name], Lemony [name]June[/name], Lemony [name]Faye[/name], Lemony [name]Paige[/name], Lemony [name]Mae[/name], Lemony [name]Grace[/name], Lemony [name]Sage[/name], Lemony [name]Faith[/name], Lemony [name]Pearl[/name], Lemony [name]Kate[/name], Lemony [name]Eve[/name], Lemony [name]Wynn[/name], Lemony [name]Lane[/name], Lemony [name]Hope[/name], Lemony [name]Dove[/name], Lemony [name]Wren[/name], Lemony [name]Rose[/name] etc. Although maybe word names should be avoided since Lemony is already an adjective when pronounced the usual way.

I know a girl called Lemoni! Her sisters are [name]Freya[/name] and [name]Leilani[/name], anyway, Lemoni’s mn is [name]Amber[/name].
What do you think? Lemoni [name]Amber[/name]? Here are some more suggestions:
Lemony [name]Amber[/name]
Lemony [name]Jade[/name]
Lemony [name]Vega[/name]
Lemony [name]Isla[/name]
Lemony [name]Iris[/name]
Lemony [name]Suzette[/name] (I don’t know why, but it just came to mind!)
Lemony [name]Margot[/name]
Lemony [name]Reese[/name]