A New Danish Princess!

The name of the new [name]Royal[/name] Danish baby was announced at her christening. The daughter of [name]Prince[/name] [name]Joachim[/name] and his French-born second wife [name]Princess[/name] [name]Marie[/name] of Denmark will be called [name]Princess[/name] [name]Athena[/name] (full name is [name]Athena[/name] [name]Marguerite[/name] [name]Fran[/name]çoise [name]Marie[/name]). She joins her two half-brothers [name]Nikolai[/name] and [name]Felix[/name] as well as full brother [name]Henrik[/name]. A very unusual choice for a Danish princess. According to Statistics Denmark, as of 1 January 2012, there are 63 people in Denmark named Athena., 61 women are named Marguerite, 31 are named Françoise, while as many as 18,388 women are named Marie.

[name]Athena[/name] is beautiful! It would have been on my list if there weren’t other names I like better. I like how it has a nice sound but has connotations of wisdom, as well as mythology! :slight_smile:

I think the Danish pronunciation is ah-TEN-ah ([name]EDIT[/name]: or [name]AH[/name]-ten-ah), but I could be wrong. My cousin studied Danish for a few weeks; apparently it’s a tricky language when it comes to pronouncing stuff. Unless you are from Denmark. :smiley:

I love her brother’s names! I think [name]Athena[/name] doesn’t fit very well but [name]Princess[/name] [name]Athena[/name] is beautiful!

@sophiarose - yes, [name]Christian[/name], [name]Isabella[/name], [name]Vincent[/name] and [name]Josephine[/name] are great sibling names. The first one is traditional (poor guy, due to the tradition of alternating between [name]Frederik[/name] and [name]Christian[/name], this boy will have to call his son [name]Frederik[/name] whether he likes the name or not). The other three were more uncommon in the Danish royal family.

I [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Christian[/name] and I think little [name]Prince[/name] [name]Christian[/name] is a lucky guy to have this name. I like his sister’s name [name]Isabella[/name] and if they pronounced [name]Josephine[/name] the English way I would not like it but it sounds lovely as yosefina and [name]Vincent[/name] leaves me dead I would have preferred [name]Victor[/name]. I think [name]Athena[/name] is a hideous name a bit like a cartoon name.

It’s like they could read my mind when it comes to good [name]Athena[/name] combos!

I think thats a beautiful name.

[name]Princess[/name] [name]Athena[/name] is beautiful, really classy.