a question about sidney

My husband was watching “i love you man” and looked at me and said that he really liked the name [name]Sydney[/name] (the character played by [name]Jason[/name] Segel), though he preferred the spelling “[name]Sidney[/name]”. He “likes” very very few names… so for him to say that he “really liked” it is super rare. I don’t mind it, and it goes with the other names that have made it onto the top five list. But i got to thinking about it and realized that even though we’d be spelling it [name]Sidney[/name], and not [name]Sydney[/name]… would people still think of it as a place name? I ask because our last name is [name]Austin[/name]… so having a kid with both first and last name place names would bother me. [name]Sidney[/name] [name]Austin[/name] doesn’t sound bad to me. I don’t know. what do you think?

I don’t think it’d be a problem at all. Unless you live in Australia, most people probably won’t even think of [name]Sidney[/name]/[name]Sydney[/name] as a place name. [name]Just[/name] to clarify though, are you considering [name]Sidney[/name]/[name]Sydney[/name] for a boy or a girl?

I hope you mean [name]Sidney[/name] as a boys name, if so I love it! (Seeing as [name]Sidney[/name] is a boys name).

[name]Sidney[/name] [name]Austin[/name] isn’t too much place name to me, especially considering you are using the name spelling ([name]Sidney[/name]) and not the Australian place name spelling ([name]Sydney[/name]).

[name]Love[/name] it!!

yes, it would be for a boy. Thanks for the input!

Our top three for boys right now are…

[name]Julian[/name] [name]Leopold[/name] [name]Austin[/name]
[name]Elliot[/name] [name]Graham[/name] [name]Austin[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name] [name]Bennett[/name] [name]Austin[/name]

I almost like [name]Sidney[/name] more than [name]Oliver[/name], but I don’t have a middle name for it just yet. I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Bennett[/name], but i’m not sure if it goes with [name]Sidney[/name] very well.

If we got rid of [name]Oliver[/name] and replaced it with [name]Sidney[/name], we would use [name]Oliver[/name] as the middle name for [name]Elliot[/name] instead of [name]Graham[/name]. My husband and I are really into food, and have enjoyed eating at [name]Graham[/name] [name]Elliot[/name]'s Restaurant many times, and to him the name [name]Elliot[/name] [name]Graham[/name] sounds backwards. [name]Just[/name] like when i met my husband i thought his name sounded backwards “brady austin”. Probably because i’d heard of [name]Tom[/name] [name]Brady[/name] and there are so many people named [name]Austin[/name] that I just thought it sounded better as [name]Austin[/name] [name]Brady[/name].

[name]Sidney[/name] is the spelling for boys and [name]Sydney[/name] is the spelling for girls as a rule. The only male [name]Sidney[/name] I’ve known about is [name]Charlie[/name] [name]Chaplin[/name]'s son [name]Sidney[/name] [name]Chaplin[/name]. I’m not a big fan of the name [name]Austin[/name] (cowboy image). I like your other names [name]Julian[/name] [name]Leopold[/name] and [name]Oliver[/name] [name]Bennett[/name] more than [name]Sidney[/name] [name]Austin[/name]. [name]Eliott[/name] [name]Graham[/name] are two names I’ve never been crazy about unfortunately. Personally, if a surname is chosen for the first name, I would not give another surname for the middle name. Good luck!

[name]Austin[/name] is our last name. no getting around that one. Those are full names listed, not first-middle-middle. and what’s the surname that you’re seeing as a first name?

[name]Sidney[/name] [name]Oliver[/name] sounds nice, if that’s an option for you guys :slight_smile:

[name]Elliot[/name] is traditionally a surname, but I don’t see why that comment was relevant. I do agree that, with [name]Sidney[/name], you should go for an established, masculine name for his middle name. Now, you’ve got [name]Julian[/name] [name]Leopold[/name], which is a stunning combination, but I’m not in love with the sound of [name]Julian[/name] [name]Austin[/name]. Then you’ve got [name]Elliot[/name] [name]Graham[/name] [name]Austin[/name], and I actually think this one is my favorite - [name]Elliot[/name] [name]Austin[/name] is pretty handsome. Finally, [name]Oliver[/name] [name]Bennett[/name] has a combination of some of my favorites, but [name]Oliver[/name] [name]Austin[/name] doesn’t sound quite right to me. So, maybe [name]Sidney[/name] [name]Leopold[/name] [name]Austin[/name] would work? I don’t know, though - that’s quite a lot of name.

Are you open to suggestions for [name]Sidney[/name]'s middle name? If so, I think something like [name]Sidney[/name] [name]Matthew[/name] [name]Austin[/name], [name]Sidney[/name] [name]Nathaniel[/name] [name]Austin[/name], [name]Sidney[/name] [name]Patrick[/name] [name]Austin[/name] would be nice, maybe even [name]Sidney[/name] [name]Bradford[/name], but that’s a lot of surname names…

Good luck!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Just[/name] quickly [name]Sidney[/name] [name]Austin[/name] would be a name made for mockery if you lived in [name]Sydney[/name] Au-stralia! Can you see what I mean?

Over here in [name]Oz[/name] the name [name]Sidney[/name] is considered an old man’s name and has never ever been used as a girl’s name.

[name]Elliott[/name] [name]Austin[/name] and similar names like [name]Reid[/name] [name]Austin[/name] would sound great and have my vote.

My apologies… I misread your post! With your surname being [name]Austin[/name], [name]Julian[/name] and [name]Oliver[/name] dont’ have the best sound or flow. [name]Sidney[/name] [name]Austin[/name] is better but I don’t know if our Aussie friends would like it too much! Maybe use [name]Sidney[/name] as a middle name and have a more traditional first name for your son.

I like [name]Oliver[/name], [name]Julian[/name], and [name]Emmett[/name] as well, but I really like [name]Sidney[/name]. Definitely spell it with an i, not a y. The y is always for girls, and does make it a place name, unlike [name]Sidney[/name].

What about [name]Sidney[/name] [name]Lawrence[/name] [name]Austin[/name]?

[name]Hi[/name], Have been lurking ever since my son was born but I just had to comment on this! My sons name is [name]Sidney[/name] too! [name]Sidney[/name] [name]Warren[/name] [name]Matthews[/name] ([name]Warren[/name] pn woh-ren not war-en). I’m in the UK and have had nothing but compliments about his name. The usual reaction is “it’s so nice to hear that on a boy where it belongs”. Anyway to your list:

[name]Julian[/name] [name]Leopold[/name] [name]Austin[/name] - this flows very nicely but they are 2 names that I wouldn’t use - not sure why!

[name]Elliot[/name] [name]Graham[/name] [name]Austin[/name] - I love [name]Elliot[/name] but not crazy about [name]Graham[/name] but again this combination flows very nicely so if you love [name]Graham[/name] then don’t let me put you off! Not sure about [name]Elliot[/name] [name]Austin[/name]…

[name]Oliver[/name] [name]Bennett[/name] [name]Austin[/name] - I think the issue with [name]Bennett[/name] is the way it flows into [name]Austin[/name] not in the combination with [name]Oliver[/name] - sorry.

I love the sound of [name]Sidney[/name] [name]Austin[/name] - to me it seems to fit better than your other choices and really like [name]Sidney[/name] [name]Lawrence[/name] [name]Austin[/name] - very nice. I do have to say that [name]Sidney[/name] [name]Warren[/name] [name]Austin[/name] works too :wink: as does [name]Sidney[/name] [name]Leopold[/name] [name]Austin[/name]. Did you want more middle name ideas?

[name]Hope[/name] that helps
[name]Rachel[/name]