A sibling for Iris and Ivo

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] all! Please help! We’re looking for a name for our baby. It’s due in [name_u]August[/name_u] so ages to go, but at the moment there just aren’t any names I like, so I need to at least have some ideas! We don’t know the sex yet.

The baby will have [name_f]Iris[/name_f] as a big sister and [name_m]Ivo[/name_m] as a big brother. Our surname is two syllables, begins with a T and ends with an N. I really like the name [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] for a girl, but it might cause a bit of friction in my family, so not totally sold. We did like Wilf for a boy, but DH’s brother just called his son that!

Bonus points for the following:

• links to nature ([name_f]Iris[/name_f] is a flower, [name_m]Ivo[/name_m] means tree)
  • A meaning or link to my grandmother’s names ([name_f]Gladys[/name_f] and [name_f]Patricia[/name_f]) - but not those actual names!
  • Old fashioned or unusual but not too new-age or weird.
  • No surname first names.
  • No super popular names as me and DH are both teachers and don’t want the associations. (Example: [name_u]Alfie[/name_u], [name_m]Oscar[/name_m], [name_u]Freddie[/name_u], [name_m]Oliver[/name_m], [name_f]Olivia[/name_f], [name_f]Emily[/name_f], etc.)

Thank you!!! Xxxx

I’m guessing you’re in the UK from those popular names?

Wilf and [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] (or [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f], which I prefer) are lovely choices, it’s a shame you can’t use them.

[name_m]Sylvan[/name_m] (means “of the forest” - would it cause fewer issues for a boy?)
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u]
[name_m]Leif[/name_m]
[name_u]August[/name_u] (too much with due date?!)
[name_m]Silas[/name_m]
[name_u]River[/name_u]
[name_m]Kester[/name_m]
[name_m]Samson[/name_m]
[name_u]Corin[/name_u]
[name_u]Asa[/name_u]
[name_u]Luca[/name_u]
[name_m]Pippin[/name_m]
[name_m]Sol[/name_m]

[name_u]Wren[/name_u]
[name_f]Fern[/name_f]
[name_f]Merryn[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f]
[name_f]Lark[/name_f]
[name_f]Zelie[/name_f]
[name_f]Cora[/name_f]
[name_f]Vita[/name_f]
[name_f]Ada[/name_f]
[name_f]Tess[/name_f]/[name_f]Tessa[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]
[name_f]Posy[/name_f]
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f]
[name_f]Ailsa[/name_f]
[name_f]Greta[/name_f]
[name_f]Luna[/name_f]

Gorgeous names for your two kids! I love names starting with an I, so I think you should stick with it. Most of my suggestions are I names but I have some others that are naturey and/or similarly short/economical:

[name_f]Ione[/name_f] - violet flower
[name_f]Iona[/name_f] - island
[name_f]Isla[/name_f] - island
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f] - obviously naturey, but might be too close to [name_m]Ivo[/name_m]
[name_f]Ingrid[/name_f]
[name_f]Inga[/name_f]
[name_f]Imogen[/name_f]
[name_f]Ines[/name_f]
[name_f]Lila[/name_f] - night, also similar to lilac
[name_f]Leona[/name_f] - lioness
[name_f]Cora[/name_f] - goddess who represents fertile land, harvest, spring

Boys:
[name_m]Ian[/name_m]
[name_m]Idris[/name_m]
[name_m]Isaac[/name_m] - laughter
[name_u]River[/name_u]
[name_m]Ansel[/name_m] - like the nature photographer
[name_m]Hart[/name_m] - deer
[name_u]Ari[/name_u] - lion
[name_m]Silas[/name_m] - same root as [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]
[name_m]Cove[/name_m] - bay
[name_u]Vale[/name_u] - valley
[name_m]Heath[/name_m] - moor
[name_m]Hale[/name_m] - nook
[name_u]Gale[/name_u] - wind
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u] - a tree
[name_m]Eben[/name_m] - rock, stone

Gladiola
[name_f]Thalia[/name_f]
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]
[name_f]Nell[/name_f]
[name_f]Sia[/name_f]
[name_f]Bea[/name_f]
[name_u]Patsy[/name_u]
[name_f]Claudia[/name_f]
[name_f]Cleo[/name_f]

[name_m]Ezra[/name_m]
[name_m]Otis[/name_m]
[name_u]Percy[/name_u]
[name_u]Gale[/name_u]
[name_u]Reed[/name_u]
[name_m]Heath[/name_m]
[name_m]Elden[/name_m]
[name_m]Bruno[/name_m]

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you want to continue the ‘I’ theme? Maybe - [name_f]Ivy[/name_f], [name_f]Irina[/name_f], [name_f]Ina[/name_f], [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f], [name_f]Ida[/name_f], [name_m]Isaac[/name_m], [name_m]Irwin[/name_m], [name_m]Ivan[/name_m], [name_m]Ian[/name_m]

I love [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] with [name_f]Iris[/name_f] and [name_m]Ivo[/name_m], and I think the suggestion of [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] is even better, especially if it would solve any problems with family. [name_m]Sylvan[/name_m] for a boy is also fab.

Such a shame about Wilf (one of my all time boy favourites too!). Here are some stylistically similar thoughts;

[name_u]Evelyn[/name_u]
[name_m]Hugh[/name_m]
[name_f]Fenna[/name_f] (like [name_m]Ivo[/name_m] it’s popular in the Netherlands)
[name_m]Caspar[/name_m]
[name_f]Isolde[/name_f]
[name_m]Wilbur[/name_m] (‘‘wild boar’’)
[name_f]Mavis[/name_f] or [name_f]Avis[/name_f] (both have bird meanings)
[name_u]Sorrel[/name_u]
[name_m]Lars[/name_m] (‘‘laurel’’)
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f]
[name_f]Zinnia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lux[/name_f] (‘‘light’’)
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f] (‘‘white’’)
[name_m]Clement[/name_m] or [name_f]Clemency[/name_f]
[name_u]Hollis[/name_u]
Selkie (mermaids from Gaelic mythology)
[name_m]Arthur[/name_m]
[name_m]Otis[/name_m]
[name_f]Sukie[/name_f] or [name_f]Suzy[/name_f] (from [name_f]Susannah[/name_f], ‘‘lily’’)
[name_m]Orson[/name_m] (‘‘bear’’)
[name_m]Rufus[/name_m] (‘‘redhaired’’)
[name_u]Kit[/name_u]
[name_f]Celeste[/name_f]
[name_f]Eartha[/name_f] (such a gorgeous, underused choice! I’m guilty of suggesting this everywhere)
[name_u]Glenn[/name_u]
[name_m]Basil[/name_m]
[name_f]Linnea[/name_f]
[name_f]Juno[/name_f]
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f] (another ‘‘laurel’’ meaning)
[name_m]Axel[/name_m]
[name_m]Irving[/name_m] (river)
[name_m]Silas[/name_m] (same ‘‘forest’’ root as [name_m]Sylvan[/name_m]/[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f])
[name_f]Viola[/name_f]
[name_m]Ralph[/name_m]
I’m tempted to suggest some like [name_m]Eoin[/name_m]/[name_m]Ewan[/name_m]/etc. but I have a feeling they’re etymologically from the same root that [name_m]Ivo[/name_m] is.

These are great so far guys! Please keep them coming. Quite a few that I’d considered but DH isn’t into.

Still haven’t found ‘the one’, though will definitely think about [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]. Really like [name_f]Lila[/name_f] and [name_u]Wren[/name_u] as middle names. Would also use [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] as a middle name ([name_m]Ivo[/name_m] would have been [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] if he’d been a girl, except that DH’a other brother had a girl a couple of months before him and named her [name_f]Eve[/name_f]! (We have bad luck with this!)

I really like [name_u]Robin[/name_u], but DH doesn’t. Like the idea of [name_m]Silas[/name_m] and [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] but don’t think they’re quiet right. [name_u]River[/name_u] and [name_m]Leif[/name_m] are a bit too put there for me.

Xxx

[name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_m]Liev[/name_m]/[name_m]Lev[/name_m] if [name_m]Leif[/name_m] feels a bit too out there? I really love your style!

[name_f]Xanthe[/name_f] ([name_m]ZAN[/name_m]-thee) means golden in Greek. [name_f]Iris[/name_f] means rainbow in Greek so this is a nice link.
[name_f]Saffron[/name_f]
[name_f]Zara[/name_f] (means star or flower)
[name_f]Opal[/name_f]
[name_f]Juno[/name_f] (mother goddess)
[name_f]Gaia[/name_f] (earth goddess)
[name_f]Rosa[/name_f]
[name_f]Stella[/name_f]
[name_f]Celeste[/name_f]
[name_f]Clio[/name_f]
[name_f]Phaedra[/name_f]
[name_f]Willow[/name_f]
[name_f]Callista[/name_f]

Boys:
[name_u]Beau[/name_u]
[name_m]Otto[/name_m]
[name_m]Elio[/name_m]

[name_m]Ivo[/name_m] and [name_f]Iris[/name_f] is such a cool set!

I’d suggest [name_u]Rafe[/name_u], [name_m]Carew[/name_m], [name_u]Jude[/name_u], [name_m]Ansel[/name_m], [name_m]Fergus[/name_m], [name_m]Cormac[/name_m], [name_m]Jago[/name_m], [name_u]August[/name_u], [name_m]Amos[/name_m], [name_m]Rhodes[/name_m], [name_m]Linus[/name_m], [name_m]Ramsey[/name_m], [name_m]Otis[/name_m], [name_u]Sasha[/name_u], [name_m]Eli[/name_m], [name_m]Hector[/name_m], [name_m]Xavier[/name_m], [name_u]Campbell[/name_u], [name_m]Ewan[/name_m], [name_m]Lachlan[/name_m] or [name_m]Lorcan[/name_m]

And for girls [name_u]Romy[/name_u], [name_f]Una[/name_f], [name_f]Willa[/name_f], [name_f]Lark[/name_f], [name_f]Rosa[/name_f], [name_f]Martha[/name_f], [name_f]Margot[/name_f], [name_f]Anya[/name_f], [name_f]Alba[/name_f] / [name_u]Alva[/name_u] / [name_f]Alma[/name_f], [name_f]Maeve[/name_f], [name_f]Olive[/name_f], [name_f]Etta[/name_f], [name_f]Flora[/name_f], [name_f]Elowen[/name_f], [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] or [name_f]Bronte[/name_f]

A few I haven’t seen mentioned that seem to fit your criteria (except the [name_f]Gladys[/name_f]/[name_f]Patricia[/name_f]):

[name_m]Warren[/name_m]
[name_f]Ursula[/name_f]
[name_m]Ogden[/name_m]
[name_u]Vernon[/name_u]