A sibling for Jane and Henry

We are expecting our third in just under three months, don’t know the sex, and really aren’t sure about a name. Our last name begins with an L, is two syllables ending in -um, and honestly sounds funny with most names (although some L names go well with it, and we’d love to use an L name if possible, especially to honor my mom)! Our children are [name]Jane[/name] [name]Audrey[/name] and [name]Henry[/name] [name]Atlas[/name]. We’d like a first name that is classic enough to go with [name]Jane[/name] and [name]Henry[/name], but not TOO classic or overused such as [name]William[/name], [name]Charles[/name], [name]Katherine[/name], etc. We love those names, but are looking for something a little less common these days. For instance, we know NO little [name]Jane[/name]'s which is pretty cool, but we’ve got [name]Henry[/name]'s running out our ears! We also like a middle name that is a little different and sticking with the vowel sound (as in [name]Audrey[/name], [name]Atlas[/name]) would be fun but is not essential. I look forward to reading ALL your suggestions!

We are expecting our third in just under three months, don’t know the sex, and really aren’t sure about a name. Our last name begins with an L, is two syllables ending in -um, and honestly sounds funny with most names (although some L names go well with it, and we’d love to use an L name if possible, especially to honor my mom)! Our children are [name]Jane[/name] [name]Audrey[/name] and [name]Henry[/name] [name]Atlas[/name]. We’d like a first name that is classic enough to go with [name]Jane[/name] and [name]Henry[/name], but not TOO classic or overused such as [name]William[/name], [name]Charles[/name], [name]Katherine[/name], etc. We love those names, but are looking for something a little less common these days. For instance, we know NO little [name]Jane[/name]'s which is pretty cool, but we’ve got [name]Henry[/name]'s running out our ears! We also like a middle name that is a little different and sticking with the vowel sound (as in [name]Audrey[/name], [name]Atlas[/name]) would be fun but is not essential. I look forward to reading ALL your suggestions!

Girls:
[name]Lilias[/name]
[name]Lisbeth[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name] nn [name]Lulu[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]

Boys:
[name]Laszlo[/name]
[name]Linus[/name]
[name]Lionel[/name]
[name]Louis[/name]

[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Robin[/name] [name]Olena[/name]
[name]Nell[/name] [name]Aspen[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Eve[/name]
[name]Liesel[/name] [name]Orpha[/name]
[name]Aleta[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]/[name]Pearl[/name] [name]Aleta[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Cordelia[/name]

[name]Edward[/name] [name]Abner[/name]
[name]Eli[/name] [name]Atticus[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name]… nn [name]Teddy[/name] or [name]Theo[/name] [name]Abbott[/name]
[name]Hubert[/name]… nn [name]Bert[/name] or [name]Hugh[/name] [name]Alden[/name]
[name]Bernard[/name] [name]Avery[/name]
[name]George[/name] [name]August[/name]
[name]Leopold[/name]…nn [name]Leo[/name] [name]Abner[/name]

[name]Claire[/name] [name]Agnes[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name] [name]August[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name] [name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Florence[/name] [name]Allegra[/name]
[name]Maude[/name] [name]Antonia[/name]
[name]Mabel[/name] [name]Adair[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Ann[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name] [name]Alice[/name]

You have great naming style.

[name]Wilfred[/name],
[name]Laurence[/name],
[name]Philip[/name],

[name]Anthony[/name],
[name]Maxwell[/name],
[name]Christian[/name],

[name]Patrick[/name],
[name]Jeremy[/name]
[name]Jerome[/name]

[name]David[/name]!! [name]Love[/name]
[name]Peter[/name]
[name]Timothy[/name]

[name]Joel[/name]
[name]Micah[/name]
[name]Benjamin[/name]

For girls

I think that [name]Claudia[/name] is beautiful with [name]Jane[/name]

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Jane[/name] and [name]Henry[/name]! :slight_smile: I also love [name]Susan[/name]'s L suggestions of [name]Louisa[/name] and [name]Lydia[/name], and I thought I’d suggest [name]Leo[/name] for your little boy. I know that [name]Lucy[/name] is on the popular side now, but I love that suggestion from [name]Elizabeth[/name]/Zard. (I’ll throw [name]Louise[/name] and [name]Laura[/name] into the mix, too.) :slight_smile:

I don’t think that a middle name beginning with a vowel flows well with a first name ending in A (the back-to-back vowels create an awkward pause for me), but that may just be me.

[name]Lucy[/name] [name]Amandine[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name] [name]Avalon[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name] [name]Astoria[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name] [name]Aurora[/name]

[name]Louise[/name] [name]Arabelle[/name]
[name]Louise[/name] [name]Ivory[/name] (I’m not sure if you’re open to vowels other than A…)

[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Aster[/name] (back-to-back vowels issue with flow…)
[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Opal[/name] (ditto…)

[name]Laura[/name] and [name]Eliza[/name] will have the same vowel issues.

[name]Leo[/name] [name]Augustin[/name]
[name]Leo[/name] [name]Everett[/name]

[name]Non[/name]-L names:

[name]Alice[/name] (might not work with your last name)
[name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]/[name]Cordelia[/name]
[name]Celia[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Diana[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name] (nn [name]Liza[/name] for an L name)
[name]Felicity[/name]
[name]Frances[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name] (nn [name]Nell[/name] or [name]Poppy[/name])
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Rose[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name]

[name]Arthur[/name]
[name]Albert[/name] (nn [name]Albie[/name])
[name]Calvin[/name]
[name]Charles[/name]
[name]Frederick[/name]
[name]George[/name]
[name]Peter[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name]

More middle names you may like:
[name]Amaryllis[/name]
[name]Aster[/name]
[name]Azalea[/name]
Aloutte
[name]Aria[/name]
[name]Indigo[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

[name]Jane[/name] [name]Audrey[/name], [name]Henry[/name] [name]Atlas[/name] and…

[name]Liesel[/name] [name]Aurelia[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name] [name]Alma[/name] (a little difficult to say)
[name]Lydia[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name] [name]June[/name]***
[name]Louise[/name] [name]Aurelia[/name]**
[name]Lucinda[/name] [name]Eve[/name]
[name]Lucinda[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Lillian[/name] [name]Alma[/name]
[name]Lillian[/name] [name]Amelia[/name]**
[name]Lilla[/name] [name]June[/name]
[name]Lilla[/name] [name]Eve[/name]

I think [name]Pearl[/name], [name]Alma[/name] and [name]Eve[/name] would also make good first names, as would [name]Lara[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name] and [name]Tess[/name]/[name]Tessa[/name]

[name]Lucian[/name] [name]Arthur[/name]
[name]Lucian[/name] [name]Alcott[/name]
[name]Luther[/name] [name]Augustus[/name]**
[name]Leopold[/name] [name]Alcott[/name]
[name]Leo[/name] [name]Augustus[/name]*
[name]Levi[/name] [name]Arthur[/name]*

I also really like [name]August[/name]/[name]Augustus[/name] and [name]Arthur[/name] as potential first names for your little one.

[name]Liesel[/name] and [name]Lilias[/name] (or [name]Lillian[/name]) nn [name]Lily[/name] are great suggestions, as are [name]Jill[/name]'s. I especially love her [name]Lucy[/name] and [name]Leo[/name] combos.

[name]Louise[/name] and [name]Louisa[/name] are lovely, too, but might work better with a non-vowel middle name.
You could try [name]Louise[/name] [name]Ondine[/name], [name]Louise[/name] [name]Orla[/name], [name]Louise[/name] [name]Oona[/name] and similar sounds, though.

Other L names (most of which have vowel mn issues):
[name]Leah[/name]
[name]Lara[/name]
[name]Leia[/name]
[name]Laila[/name]
[name]Lilah[/name]
[name]Lala[/name] is a Bulgarian name meaning tulip, but probably sounds too silly in our culture
Laoise (lee-sha) means radiant in Irish, but will probably be misread as [name]Louise[/name]
[name]Laurel[/name]
[name]Lauren[/name]
[name]Lavinia[/name]
[name]Laetitia[/name] (perhaps marred by the trend of sticking ‘la’ onto the front of other names)
[name]Lilac[/name].

Other names :
[name]Verity[/name]
[name]Cecily[/name]
[name]Kate[/name]
[name]Hebe[/name]
[name]Sarah[/name]/[name]Sara[/name]
[name]Mary[/name]/[name]Maria[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]/[name]Claire[/name].

And [name]Penelope[/name], as [name]Jill[/name] suggested, with the nn [name]Nell[/name] was actually the first name I thought of when I saw ‘[name]Jane[/name] and [name]Henry[/name]’.

[name]Colin[/name]
[name]Alistair[/name]
[name]James[/name]
[name]Peter[/name]
[name]Samuel[/name]
[name]Luke[/name]
[name]Jacob[/name]
[name]Edward[/name].

Good luck!

Thanks to all of you for these wonderful suggestions! I’m sure my husband and I will be pouring over them this weekend! I was very happy to see some of our favorites on your lists – specifically [name]Louisa[/name] and [name]Leo[/name] have long been front runner’s (my mom’s middle name, which she has gone by most of her life, is “[name]Lou[/name]”). I also really hoped to use [name]Augustus[/name] as it was the name of her great-grandfather, but I was a little disappointed to learn that “[name]Leo[/name] [name]Augustus[/name]” is actually the name (at least partially) of Pope [name]Leo[/name] the Great, who I’m sure is a worthy namesake, but we’re not Catholic, and of course, would hope to find something more our own. I agree that [name]Louisa[/name] plus an a name is difficult, but hadn’t realized the double vowel was why – I do like [name]Louisa[/name] [name]Elspeth[/name], but husband is not on board (yet). Unfortunately, some of your other really great suggestions, like [name]Penelope[/name] have been taken by close friends or family (our brand new next door neighbor is “[name]Penny[/name]” short for [name]Penelope[/name]). Anyway, thanks again for all the great ideas – I’ll be studying them closely!

[name]Louise[/name] [name]Elspeth[/name] is beautiful! I hope you convince your husband … I’ve fallen in love with [name]Elspeth[/name] completely.

This is a good combo and [name]Elspeth[/name] dresses up [name]Louise[/name] but I find [name]Elspeth[/name] rather lispy.

I would prefer [name]Louisa[/name] and here are some combos.

[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Ethel[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Dorothea[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Marguerite[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Poppy[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Brooke[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Jeanette[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Jacqueline[/name]
also
[name]Claudia[/name] [name]Louise[/name]

[name]Philip[/name] and [name]Claudia[/name]! Perfection!

Sorry about the absent [name]Augustus[/name]! What about [name]Leo[/name] [name]Augustin[/name], which is close to [name]Augustus[/name]?

I can’t wait to see what you choose! :slight_smile:

Good luck!

I think [name]Louisa[/name] is absolutely perfect! Of the other suggestions, I think [name]Eliza[/name] and [name]Beatrice[/name] would fit well.

Best of luck to you! =)

Well, after thinking probably too much on all these names (our other kids’ names just sort of came to us), I think I’ve made at least a few decisions. I think [name]Louisa[/name] is it for a girl for a first name, and I realize that probably rules out the vowel middle name, and I’m fine with that (fine with that for a boy too). We’re okay with a non-L name as well – I think I was partial to that based on the two names I already liked. My husband likes [name]Louisa[/name] very much, and likes [name]Leo[/name] but not as much as [name]Louisa[/name]. I’m a little worried it may be getting trendy too, but its still our front-runner for now. So, I suppose I’m looking for the right middle name for [name]Louisa[/name] (hopefully I can find one with personal meaning such as a family member or friend with similar name) – my husband said NO to [name]Elspeth[/name] – I don’t think he’ll come around on that one. And I’m really still pretty open on a boy’s name. If I could have an ultrasound tomorrow, I might cave and find out the sex! Some other thoughts:

What do you all think about syllable variations? I read on some other post that 3-1-2 works well, which means a short one syllable middle name would go well with [name]Louisa[/name] Landrum. Of course, I don’t think you should abandon names you love based on a formula, but its a good place to start. We had originally chosen [name]Louisa[/name] [name]Kate[/name] but a family member has named their new baby [name]Sarah[/name] [name]Kate[/name] and she goes by that. I had thought that ruled out [name]Kate[/name] (which I have always loved) but possibly not as a middle name only. Still, something more original (but still classic) may be in order! I’ll just name a couple of short names I think are too boring or popular to use: [name]Faye[/name], [name]Kay[/name], [name]Ann[/name], [name]Grace[/name], [name]Rose[/name].

As for [name]Augustin[/name] instead of [name]Augustus[/name], I do like the name as well if not better, but I don’t think it sounds good with our last name which is Landrum - i think our last name sounds bad with every name ending in an -in, -en, -on – or at least its hard to say. Too much of a rhyme or something. I also like [name]Lionel[/name] but the ending L doesn’t work well with our last name.

I’m still considering [name]Augustus[/name] as a first name possibility, but it would be a daring choice for my family (my husband’s family would relish the opportunity to have a “[name]Gus[/name]”). Here are a few family names we’ve tossed around – I’m wondering which might go best with [name]Leo[/name], similar or just each other:

[name]Charles[/name] (we’ve leaned against [name]Charlie[/name] as a nickname due to popularity in our area)
Verdis (yes, an odd one - its my dad’s - he’s hated it all his life!)
[name]Patrick[/name]
[name]Walter[/name] (nn [name]Wally[/name] not an option due to family member, and [name]Walt[/name] I’m not crazy about but husband is)

[name]Hope[/name] this isn’t too long – I’ve got way too many names and issues flying around my head lately! -[name]Dana[/name]

P.S. I love [name]Eliza[/name], and pushed that early on in the pregnancy, but my husband knocked it out early on . . .

[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Plum[/name]. In another post I thought of [name]Luella[/name] [name]Plum[/name], and lots of posters love it. So maybe [name]Louisa[/name] [name]Plum[/name] sounds great, too.
[name]Love[/name] [name]Augustus[/name]! [name]Augustus[/name] [name]Clive[/name].

OMGoodness!! [name]Louisa[/name] [name]Plum[/name] is the most adorable name I have ever encountered! :slight_smile: [name]Love[/name] [name]Augustus[/name] [name]Clive[/name]… Feels so retro!

OMGoodness!! [name]Louisa[/name] [name]Plum[/name] is the most adorable name I have ever encountered! :slight_smile: [name]Love[/name] [name]Augustus[/name] [name]Clive[/name]… Feels so retro![/quote]

I never know what people are going to love! I love [name]Louisa[/name] [name]Plum[/name], but I also love [name]Louisa[/name] [name]Bernice[/name], and that isn’t very popular! I guess when I make a long enough list, something is going to be great. [name]Augustus[/name] [name]Clive[/name] is very handsome and sounds like a [name]Beatrix[/name] [name]Potter[/name] character. [name]Love[/name] it!

OMGoodness!! [name]Louisa[/name] [name]Plum[/name] is the most adorable name I have ever encountered! :slight_smile: [name]Love[/name] [name]Augustus[/name] [name]Clive[/name]… Feels so retro![/quote]

I never know what people are going to love! I love [name]Louisa[/name] [name]Plum[/name], but I also love [name]Louisa[/name] [name]Bernice[/name], and that isn’t very popular! I guess when I make a long enough list, something is going to be great. [name]Augustus[/name] [name]Clive[/name] is very handsome and sounds like a [name]Beatrix[/name] [name]Potter[/name] character. [name]Love[/name] it![/quote]

[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Bernice[/name] is very nice too! I think [name]Louisa[/name] [name]Bernadette[/name] is very pretty!

[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Bernice[/name] is very nice too! I think [name]Louisa[/name] [name]Bernadette[/name] is very pretty!

[name]Love[/name] Louisea [name]Bernadette[/name]. Sounds like she has a sparkly retro barette in her hair. I used to have a bright red plastic barette that was shaped like a bow.