A sister for a Athena

Hello again berries!
It’s been a while since I’ve been on here, but hubby and I have been seriously talking about having a third recently, which of course inevitably leads to talking about names!!

For a boy we’re loving [name_u]Remi[/name_u]/[name_u]Remy[/name_u], but are a bit lost for a girl - I mean, what on earth do we name a sister to [name_f]Athena[/name_f]?!
We’ve got a few names we love but just not sure they’re right:
[name_f]Safira[/name_f] - sounds a bit too similar to [name_f]Athena[/name_f]
[name_f]Valencia[/name_f] - we have no connection to the place, which does kinda bother me
[name_f]Kiara[/name_f] - we have a lot of reasons to use this name, but I just don’t know how I feel about it measuring up to [name_f]Athena[/name_f]
Inara - love the goddess connection here, but everytime I try, something holds me back with this name, I think I love the meaning of it more than the sound
[name_f]Azura[/name_f] - maybe too fantastical?

But, we’ve recently rediscovered [name_f]Pandora[/name_f] - and I kinda think in a lot of ways she’d make a perfect sister to [name_f]Athena[/name_f], love all the nicknames: Panda, [name_f]Andi[/name_f], possibly even [name_f]Pixie[/name_f] (except for [name_f]Dora[/name_f]), I’m not bothered by the mythological figure either (she’s basically the Greek [name_f]Eve[/name_f], and who doesn’t want their children to be curious anyway), and I don’t mind about the jewellery company or the radio station either (and we don’t really have the radio here)
But what do you guys think of [name_f]Pandora[/name_f]? [name_m]How[/name_m] would a [name_f]Pandora[/name_f] be received these days?
Are there any other names that would make a perfect sister to [name_f]Athena[/name_f] and [name_u]Toby[/name_u]?

[name_f]Safira[/name_f] - I agree that it sounds a tad bit too close to [name_f]Athena[/name_f] for comfort.
[name_f]Valencia[/name_f] - Still a gorgeous name regardless of if you’re connected to the place or not.
[name_f]Kiara[/name_f] - Not my favorite name on your list, but lovely nevertheless.
Inara - [name_f]May[/name_f] I suggest [name_f]Inanna[/name_f]? Both are on my list and both are amazing choices for a sister to [name_f]Athena[/name_f]. :slight_smile:
[name_f]Azura[/name_f] - Beautiful, but not my favorite name on your list.

I think people are much more open to unusual names nowadays than ever before, and [name_f]Pandora[/name_f] wouldn’t make anyone bat an eye, methinks.

I’ll try to come up with some other names for you, but I hope this mini review will suffice for now. :slight_smile:

My favorite of your options is [name_f]Kiara[/name_f], although it sounds like you love [name_f]Pandora[/name_f] best. Other ideas:
[name_f]Aurora[/name_f]
[name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f]
[name_f]Blythe[/name_f]
[name_f]Augusta[/name_f]
[name_f]Sybil[/name_f]
[name_f]Clio[/name_f]
[name_f]Soraya[/name_f]
[name_f]Valeria[/name_f]
[name_f]Zenobia[/name_f]
[name_f]Roxana[/name_f]
[name_f]Iolanthe[/name_f]
Olympia
Octavia
Lorelei
Theodosia

I’ve marked most, if not all, mythological names. :slight_smile:

Aella (Greek mythology)
[name_f]Alethea[/name_f]
[name_f]Althea[/name_f]
[name_f]Anthea[/name_f]
[name_f]Antonia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ariadne[/name_f] (Greek mythology)
[name_f]Artemisia[/name_f]
[name_f]Arwen[/name_f]
[name_f]Asteria[/name_f]
[name_f]Astraea[/name_f]
[name_f]Augusta[/name_f]
[name_f]Aura[/name_f] ([name_m]Roman[/name_m] mythology)
[name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Aurora[/name_f]
[name_f]Calliope[/name_f] (Greek mythology)
[name_f]Cerelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ceridwen[/name_f]
[name_f]Chloe[/name_f]
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Cornelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f] (Greek mythology)
[name_f]Demetria[/name_f]
[name_f]Elowen[/name_f]
[name_f]Eulalia[/name_f]/[name_f]Eulalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Freya[/name_f] (Norse mythology)
[name_f]Gaia[/name_f] (Greek mythology)
[name_f]Guinevere[/name_f]
[name_f]Hera[/name_f] (Greek mythology)
[name_f]Hestia[/name_f] (Greek mythology)
[name_f]Iris[/name_f] (Greek mythology)
[name_f]Isadora[/name_f]
[name_f]Evadne[/name_f] (Greek mythology)
[name_f]Evanthe[/name_f]
[name_f]Juno[/name_f] ([name_m]Roman[/name_m] mythology)
Lilaea (lil-ee-ah) (Greek mythology)
[name_f]Lyra[/name_f]
[name_f]Odelia[/name_f]/[name_f]Odilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Olympia[/name_f]
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] (Greek mythology)
[name_f]Persephone[/name_f] (Greek mythology)
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] (Greek mythology)
[name_f]Rhea[/name_f] (Greek mythology)
[name_f]Seraphina[/name_f]
[name_f]Thea[/name_f] (Greek mythology)
[name_u]Vivian[/name_u]/[name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] (Arthurian legend)

I’ll come back if I think up any more. :slight_smile:

I like [name_f]Pandora[/name_f] a lot (Panda as a nickname is appealing or just [name_m]Pan[/name_m])

I suggest the name [name_f]Demetria[/name_f] or [name_f]Demi[/name_f] as a sister for [name_f]Athena[/name_f]. Although I really do like [name_f]Pandora[/name_f].

[name_f]Pandora[/name_f] is great!!

I really really like [name_f]Pandora[/name_f], especially with the nn Panda.

[name_f]Pandora[/name_f], [name_u]Toby[/name_u] & [name_f]Athena[/name_f] sound wonderful together!

@mellona thanks so much for your mini review and your list of suggestions!
I agree [name_f]Valencia[/name_f] is gorgeous regardless of whether we’re connected to the place or not, but there’s sooo many personal meanings behind the other names on our list, it just kinda feels like a somewhat…hollow reason to use it, if that makes sense?
[name_f]Inanna[/name_f] is beautiful too, but feels a bit weird with my kids calling their grandmother nana, plus I have the same problem with it as I have with Inara - there’s just something lacking sound-wise when I say it
It’s nice to hear you don’t think [name_f]Pandora[/name_f] is too out there though :slight_smile:
I love a lot of your A suggestions but I’m hesitant to use another A beginning and ending name (I have the same problem with [name_f]Azura[/name_f]), especially as hubby’s name begins with A too
[name_f]Calliope[/name_f], [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f], [name_f]Eulalia[/name_f], [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] - all names I love but hubby has vetoed
[name_f]Freya[/name_f] - love it but don’t love how popular it is now, plus my parents have a dog called [name_f]Freya[/name_f]
[name_f]Lyra[/name_f] - [name_f]Athena[/name_f] actually came very close to being called [name_f]Lyra[/name_f]! We love it, but as we chose [name_f]Athena[/name_f] over it, it would just feel odd to give another daughter the “second” choice name, you know?
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] - awesome name, but this is my sister-in-law’s name!
[name_f]Seraphina[/name_f] - absolutely love this one, however [name_f]Athena[/name_f]'s nickname is [name_f]Fina[/name_f] (and she gets called it about half the time)
[name_f]Isadora[/name_f] - now this one, I’m going to have to mull over, it doesn’t have any of the perceived negativity that [name_f]Pandora[/name_f] does, but is equally stunning, although you don’t get Panda haha! Definitely going to think on this one some more, thank you!

@erin beth [name_f]Kiara[/name_f] is a gorgeous name, although I am definitely leaning towards [name_f]Pandora[/name_f] at the moment
[name_f]Aurora[/name_f], [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] - love these two, but as I said above, I’m hesitant to use another A name (also not keen on the popularity of [name_f]Aurora[/name_f])
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] - sister-in-law’s name, and while she’s lovely, I don’t really want to name our baby after her
[name_f]Soraya[/name_f] - gorgeous, although not sure how I feel about the sor- beginning
[name_f]Roxana[/name_f] - now this one is rather gorgeous, haven’t really contemplated it before, will have to see what hubby thinks
[name_f]Iolanthe[/name_f] - love this one, but hubby said no
[name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] - another lovely name, but hubby’s other sister is called [name_f]Laura[/name_f], just feels a bit too close
The other names are lovely, just not my style
Thank you for your suggestions :slight_smile:

@18_25 Oh that’s good to hear! [name_m]Pan[/name_m] as a nickname is wonderful too!
I do really love [name_f]Demetria[/name_f] ([name_f]Demi[/name_f]) too, however my uncle is [name_m]Dimitri[/name_m]!

@greyblue @bellerose @leafsgirl44 thanks for your comments! It’s so lovely to hear that other people like [name_f]Pandora[/name_f] too! :smiley:

I love [name_f]Pandora[/name_f] with [name_f]Athena[/name_f]!

[name_f]Athena[/name_f] is a tough act to follow. Such a beautiful, powerful name. Personally, I would go with something like [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] or [name_m]Berlin[/name_m].

I like [name_f]Pandora[/name_f] best from your list.
My suggestions are [name_f]Evadne[/name_f] or [name_f]Calixta[/name_f].
I know it’s kind of out there but [name_f]Nebula[/name_f] also sprang to mind.

[name_f]Isadora[/name_f] goes beautifully with [name_f]Athena[/name_f], I am partial to the nn [name_f]Sadie[/name_f] (not traditional, I know).
[name_f]Theodora[/name_f] (or [name_f]Theadora[/name_f]) also comes to mind as does [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] and [name_f]Callista[/name_f].

I like [name_f]Pandora[/name_f] with [name_f]Athena[/name_f] and [name_u]Toby[/name_u].

[name_f]Valeria[/name_f] is a nice alternative to [name_f]Valencia[/name_f].

Other suggestions:
[name_f]Lilith[/name_f]
[name_f]Imogen[/name_f]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucia[/name_f]
[name_f]Petal[/name_f]
[name_f]Renata[/name_f]
[name_f]Lavinia[/name_f]

[name_f]Cassandra[/name_f]
[name_f]Diana[/name_f]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f]
[name_f]Maia[/name_f]
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Rhea[/name_f]
[name_f]Selene[/name_f]
[name_f]Thalia[/name_f]

[name_f]Athena[/name_f] is a beautiful Greek name. I always paired up Theodossa or, [name_f]Seraphina[/name_f], with the name [name_f]Athena[/name_f]!

[name_f]Pandora[/name_f] does sound like the winner!

I think you have probably considered most by now but just in case

[name_f]Callista[/name_f]
[name_f]Verity[/name_f]
[name_f]Ramona[/name_f]
[name_f]Saffron[/name_f]
[name_f]Xanthe[/name_f]
[name_f]Tabitha[/name_f]
[name_f]Faline[/name_f]
[name_f]Phaedra[/name_f]

I think [name_f]Pandora[/name_f] is perfect, honestly.

I think [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f] ([name_m]ZAN[/name_m]-thee) and [name_f]Athena[/name_f] make a gorgeous sister set!

Some of the names are Greek/[name_m]Roman[/name_m] Mythology that you haven’t mentioned.

[name_f]Aurora[/name_f] ([name_m]Roman[/name_m] [name_f]Goddess[/name_f] of [name_f]Dawn[/name_f])
[name_f]Alethea[/name_f] (Greek Mythology)
[name_f]Anthea[/name_f] (Greek Mythology)
[name_f]Astraea[/name_f] (Greek Mythology)

@lilimorgana aw wonderful! I’m so glad to hear other people think so too

@llewthewolf isn’t it just! I do love [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u], but to me it feels too unisex next to [name_f]Athena[/name_f]
[name_f]Evadne[/name_f] is interesting, and I will think some more on it, [name_f]Calixta[/name_f] and [name_f]Nebula[/name_f] aren’t really our stlye

@yogi.kiki [name_f]Isadora[/name_f] is stunning, [name_f]Sadie[/name_f] is such a cool nickname for it too! Hubby’s not too keen on [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] or [name_f]Callista[/name_f] though

@natawa [name_f]Valeria[/name_f] is a nice alternative to [name_f]Valencia[/name_f], however one of my main hang ups with [name_f]Valencia[/name_f] is the potential nickname [name_u]Val[/name_u] which I don’t like like - [name_f]Valeria[/name_f] doesn’t get away from that
[name_f]Lucia[/name_f] is beautiful, haven’t really considered it before, will see what hubby thinks
The others aren’t really my style

@nashama [name_f]Cassandra[/name_f], [name_f]Maia[/name_f] and [name_f]Thalia[/name_f] are lovely! [name_f]Selene[/name_f] is nice, although I tend to prefer [name_f]Selena[/name_f]

@prairiekeeper I’ve never heard of Theodossa! Very intriguing - I’ll have to look into it
I do love [name_f]Seraphina[/name_f], but [name_f]Athena[/name_f]'s nickname is [name_f]Fina[/name_f] (as that’s how [name_u]Toby[/name_u] pronounced her name, and it stuck!) so don’t really feel like we could use [name_f]Seraphina[/name_f] unfortunately

@gabriellenz I do really like [name_f]Callista[/name_f], and had a little love affair with her a few years ago, but could never get hubby on board however much he liked [name_f]Callie[/name_f] as a nickname

@gloaming aw that’s so wonderful to hear, your comment made me smile so much :slight_smile:

@whitegardenia [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f] is very cool, one of those names I love hearing on another person’s kid (in fact one of my old high school friends has a [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f]!), but just not mine, if that makes sense?

@mirarina2019 All of those name are beautiful, I just feel they’re a bit too similar too [name_f]Athena[/name_f], I’d like to avoid another A beginning and ending name if possible, especially ones with such similar sounds as those

@adelina_sophia I do absolutely love [name_f]Valencia[/name_f]!
[name_f]Isadora[/name_f] is so beautiful, and am contemplating adding it to my list
Also really like [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] (although is it still too tied to the teenage witch show?), [name_f]Thalia[/name_f], [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] (but hubby won’t agree to it), [name_f]Leonie[/name_f], [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] (although have a cousin [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]), and [name_f]Calliope[/name_f] (although another one vetoed by hubby)
(Also secretly love [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] and [name_f]Luna[/name_f] for [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] connections!)

Thank you all so much for your comments and suggestions, they’re all really appreciated! If you have any more I’m all ears :slight_smile: